Alone in a crowd

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

only me

Reaction score
I'm wondering if my situation is unique, or common (and nobody talks about it)

When I'm alone, I'm never lonely.
It feels like solitude to me.
I've been that way all my life.

But when I'm around people I feel totally invisible.
It's the most awful feeling.
Like that song with the line
"standing knee-deep in a river, and dying of thirst"
People everywhere, and so so cold.
Where I work, I'm never included in going out to lunch.
I used to ask others if they wanted to go to Taco Bell or whatever with me
but I'd always get these terrified looks from them and the most lame excuses
("I need to go to Target to get some kitty litter")
I finally gave up on the people at work when I asked one guy in my dept. if he wanted to go get a burger for lunch.
He told me that he had no money, then came back 15 minutes later with take-out food. (it must have been free that day)

Any helpful comments will be appreciated.

Only Me

I think it's common with us loner types. But don't let the odd few ******** stop you from trying to interact with others, even if it does upset you every time.

(((((((((((((((((Only Me)))))))))))))))))))))))
I feel invisible sometimes too. I always go out alone. I just came back from the movies.... alone. I shop..alone. I walk ...alone. Yup. I feel you on that one. Hang in there. Do you have any hobbies or interests that others have? Sometimes joining clubs or volunteering in something you are passionate about can be a good way to meet people who have the same interests. Just a thought :) You can also come hang out with us in chat.

Volunteer work and clubs are probably the best places to meet people. If only most clubs weren't boring and volunteer work consisting of... well work. :D

I felt like that [invisible] recently and it is a horrible feeling. All these people around you that you "know" but being the odd man out. Like Punisher said, don't let it stop you keep at it. Maybe your coworkers are socially awkward as well.

Naleena said:
(((((((((((((((((Only Me)))))))))))))))))))))))
I feel invisible sometimes too. I always go out alone. I just came back from the movies.... alone. I shop..alone. I walk ...alone. Yup. I feel you on that one. Hang in there. Do you have any hobbies or interests that others have? Sometimes joining clubs or volunteering in something you are passionate about can be a good way to meet people who have the same interests. Just a thought :) You can also come hang out with us in chat.

Thank you Naleena,
I appreciate your response.
I think I should take a class on Excel, maybe that
will get me out and meeting people.
(I'm an old dog who needs to learn some new tricks in this lousy economy)

Punisher said:
I think it's common with us loner types. But don't let the odd few ******** stop you from trying to interact with others, even if it does upset you every time.

Thank you

Sci-Fi said:
I felt like that [invisible] recently and it is a horrible feeling. All these people around you that you "know" but being the odd man out. Like Punisher said, don't let it stop you keep at it. Maybe your coworkers are socially awkward as well.

Thanks for your reply

Limlim said:
Volunteer work and clubs are probably the best places to meet people. If only most clubs weren't boring and volunteer work consisting of... well work. :D

Maybe there's a place where a person can do "volunteer PLAY"

Screw 'em, only me. It's their loss, not yours.

There's nothing wrong with being alone.

Yeah, feels terrible...and even after you´ve worked up the guts to kindly ask them out, they move on with their lives and make plans without including you.

That´s life.

I know what you mean. A lot of people are very scared of those who don't feel a strong desire to socialize. I know where I work, many people are sort of afraid to approach me, and if I ever do try to include myself in their conversations or lunch dates, I am often rejected. The only people I connect with are the "islands", which is what I like to define myself as.

Latest posts

Back