Anybody *enjoy* solitude?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rawr!

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just a crabby hermit, but more often than naught I've been finding myself content with isolation. I don't really enjoy interacting with other human beings on a broader scale because as my life wears on, I'm slowly discovering that I'm just frustrated with the human race as a whole. A lot of the time I feel like I can accomplish my own personal goals away from other people as opposed to around them, and it's really not such a horrible feeling for me.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm disgusted with myself and my own annoying habits...and I can certainly admit that some of the things I say or do will inevitably grate on other people's nerves. I can accept that, but for whatever reason I can't accept anybody else's aggravating habits. Where I used to maybe feign for people's attention and regret not being more sociable, I've come to terms with the fact that I just don't get on with other folk, and hey...I'm not really bothered by it.

I guess what I'm trying to ask here is, does anybody else actually enjoy being lonely? While occasionally I'll get these pangs of regret and sorrow and self-pity, they're so brief...and I get so much done by myself...they're not even worth mentioning. I like to visit the boards here occasionally, sure, but hardly as often as others.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say I feel like people hold me back. I honestly think the only reason I ever even feel a hint of depression is not so much that I'm walled off from human interaction, but that I'm currently not in a position to go out and experience the world the way I want to...which, if I had the choice, would be alone. Unfortunately I've got obligatory occupational issues restraining me, and I think that's the driving force behind my meloncholy.

A lot of people here talk about...fear. Fear that they'll never find romance, fear that they'll die alone, fear of engaging other people. Personally, I've never had a romantic experience...and right now? At this point in my life? I guess I don't really care if I ever have one. Maybe this is a point you reach or something...a phase. I dunno. Just, lately I haven't been bothered much by society's demands, and Iguess I was just curious if there was anybody else out there like me. Holla back, yo.

Yeah, that was gay.

Let me ask you this. If you didn't have internet could you enjoy solitude?

Protip: If you answered yes, you're a dirty liar.

Sixtyten said:
Let me ask you this. If you didn't have internet could you enjoy solitude?

Protip: If you answered yes, you're a dirty liar.

Sure. This is the only community I frequent, and I do so with such irregularity that I equate this with work-place interaction. I think there's one person from here I talk to from time to time on AIM, but again...we're talking maybe once a month, if that.

Granted, I'm not talking about total abstinance from the rest of the world, lol. I'm talking about limited human engagement. We all have a social quota we need to fill...I guess I'm just saying my bar's not very high. So when I say words like isolation and solitude, let's define those words in terms of every day life without being confined to relationships and in depth interaction.

I don't think *anybody* would enjoy being locked away all by their lonesome...so maybe I worded my original post wrong. What I'm saying is, I enjoy being lonely in the sense that I don't have to deal with people on a BROAD scale. And I'd enjoy it even more if we eliminated family members and co-workers from the equation, lol.

I'm not saying I never want to see another human ever again, just that I've become content (and would be MORE content) without having to immerse myself in other people's lives. I like being on the outskirts of the social circle. Did that make better sense?

I see. I feel the same way though. Not for your reason, but my anxiety. I generally just feel more comfortable being by myself and not having to deal with my anxiety by talking to people.

Hey you!
Nice to see you again. I like having time to myself. I get drained without it. Yes, I do enjoy being alone most of the time. :)
Hope you had a great birthday, Rawr. You rock!

I do. I've been spending my time in almost complete solitude because I'm on summer vacation and "lost" my cell phone. All I do is muck around and I've never felt so completely relaxed.

Something about hanging out with people for too long makes me stupid and boring. I prefer being alone.

Sure i enjoy solitude and feel that i need more time alone then most people.
It's just that when i feel forced into solitude it becomes to much.

Minus said:
Sure i enjoy solitude and feel that i need more time alone then most people.
It's just that when i feel forced into solitude it becomes to much.

Yea I think its different if you need time alone and when your having time alone cos you don't have a choice.

I do enjoy my own space, but not all the time.

Rawr! said:
Holla back, yo.

Yeah, that was gay.

Hahaha

The people at work are looking at me funny for seemingly laughing out of nowhere. I shouldn't be on here anyway, but I'm falling asleep over my work so it's not like I'd be more productive if I wasn't on here.

And yeah, it's natural to want to be alone. Some people enjoy their own company. It's easier if you're an egomaniac, of course, but it's normal for folks to like to take a break from the masses. Quite often I invite myself over to dinner for some good conversation and edible food. With just the two of us, we have a fine time.

I really like being by myself. I've gotten used to it. I hope I've not gotten TOO used to it. People who have a lot of friends seem to be very afraid of loneliness, and I don't have to fear that. That's a nice bonus.

If I did find a really good friend, or a girlfriend, I'm afraid that I would miss my solitude, since I'm so used to it.

Jeremi said:
I really like being by myself. I've gotten used to it. I hope I've not gotten TOO used to it. People who have a lot of friends seem to be very afraid of loneliness, and I don't have to fear that. That's a nice bonus.

If I did find a really good friend, or a girlfriend, I'm afraid that I would miss my solitude, since I'm so used to it.

Jeremi,
I think it is possible to be in a relationship and have solitude too :)

"our" time + "me" time = a balanced relationship

My name is Bob. said:
Yea I like been on my own.

I'm currently looking for a job on the north pole litter picking or planning on sneaking on the next flight to the moon, then legging it when it lands and staying there.

The people at the job centre give me funny looks when I enquire about litter picking. Don't know why?

RFLMAO That was funny, Bob. Thanks for the laugh!

Naleena said:
"our" time + "me" time = a balanced relationship

This is an intelligent statement. Not only is it true but the shift between one and the other will create longing for the one and the other. Many people feel it is their immediate paradise they need to fix in a particular way, few understand that no matter what kind of life they plan for themselves they are always in a state of movement, trying to get somewhere.

I have friends I really like being around, but I like having time to myself, too. When I'm by myself I can do what I want without outside input. I can relax. When I'm with my friends, I fill my needs for social interaction. I feel however that I'm presently a bit unbalanced...since getting my own apartment, I've sort of withdrawn a little. I need to get out more :p

sometimes I do like being alone O: When i've been around people for way too long xD
but I think I try and even out my isolation with being around people.

Yea, I like being alone. People suck. They are creatures full of hatred and Malice, While somthing like a little doggy will love you. People who are closest too you will hurt you the worst. Just when you think they're your real friend they stab you, when you least expect. I've seen people who've been best friends all their life and then one of the friends steals the other friends girl. Just like that. WTF?

Nothing you can do about it though since you have the curse of being a nice person. You'd be lucky if you were born like them. Then you'd have no problems. You wouldn't give a honeysuckle about anyone, you wouldn't have a soul, no morals, no concience? Don't worry though look on the bright side, you only have about 80-100 or so years of suffering on this earth. It'll fly by and before you know it you'll be dead! So just believe in God if you want and maybe you'll go to heaven. There's only loving people there I hear.

Oh, and AlertKid I love your avatar!

I like peace and quiet. But i think what im missing in life is one person to really share it with

I don't find that I "enjoy" isolation so much as it feels normal now.
I don't like to cry when other people are around, I prefer to be alone when I'm completely pathetic.
Other people don't usually understand how I feel anyway, or how I see things (or why), so they tend to get in the way a lot. Often enough I'd prefer to just have humanity erased so I could be at peace with the world... but at the same time, I actually long for human contact, especially romantic contact.
I guess, where the later is concerned, I'm so starved for affection that I'd take it from anything with a hint of charisma at this point. :p

I do enjoy solitude offline, I'm in college and live at home, and I usually like to work outside or drive around. Online I get on youtube and watch videos, browse the internet. I like to observe other people instead of getting in too deep with them, because I feel vulnerable if I do. I like distance.

Latest posts

Back