Anyone had any luck volunteering or joining a group

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iversion said:
Where can I find volunteering work?

Nothing interests me, but i want to change my life and try to get involved in something.

Hi, I would start with thinking about what you feel you could help with, are you good with anything in particular. Do you have a talent with animals, the elderly, children, enviroment, vulnerable people, a particular cause, a certain illneses, hertitage. Whatever you feel for and contact local groups or look it up. Libraries usually have plenty of info, the internet, local papers.

Good luck :)

GraceBlossom said:
Iversion said:
Where can I find volunteering work?

Nothing interests me, but i want to change my life and try to get involved in something.

Hi, I would start with thinking about what you feel you could help with, are you good with anything in particular. Do you have a talent with animals, the elderly, children, enviroment, vulnerable people, a particular cause, a certain illneses, hertitage. Whatever you feel for and contact local groups or look it up. Libraries usually have plenty of info, the internet, local papers.

Good luck :)

Thank you.

I have orientation Sunday for volunteer at a humane society. It will be my first experience volunteering, I have hope that I will enjoy my time with the critters and *fingers crossed* meeting new people in this new town will go smoothly.

ucxb said:
I have orientation Sunday for volunteer at a humane society. It will be my first experience volunteering, I have hope that I will enjoy my time with the critters and *fingers crossed* meeting new people in this new town will go smoothly.

Hi, how did it go? :)

Hey Grace, orientation went well even though I got emotional. It is very sad how the animals get abandoned / surrendered. I have a Volunteer 101 class this Thursday.

Thanks for asking :)

Do you have experience with volunteering?

ucxb said:
Hey Grace, orientation went well even though I got emotional. It is very sad how the animals get abandoned / surrendered. I have a Volunteer 101 class this Thursday.

Thanks for asking :)

Do you have experience with volunteering?

Hi there :), I am glad it went well, aw it must be horrible seeing that. I got emotional when I did safeguarding for children a while ago.

I volunteered in a charity clothes shop years ago, but I have just completed a course so I can volunteer to work with families with children. I start in September and I am having extra training as I have been asked to help run a domestic violence group. I know that training will be emotional, but they need to know I had resolved my own issues with that before I can help run it. I am really looking forward to it though :).

Good luck with your class :).

GraceBlossom said:
Hi there :), I am glad it went well, aw it must be horrible seeing that. I got emotional when I did safeguarding for children a while ago.

I volunteered in a charity clothes shop years ago, but I have just completed a course so I can volunteer to work with families with children. I start in September and I am having extra training as I have been asked to help run a domestic violence group. I know that training will be emotional, but they need to know I had resolved my own issues with that before I can help run it. I am really looking forward to it though :).

Wow, best to you on managing the group, you must have such a heart of gold and a vast amount of strength. Nice to meet you :)

You guys are all awesome for volunteering. I'd like to get into some volunteer work someday. :)

All the best to you guys.

Just wanted to give an update. I decided not to take on the sewing at this time, but have been volunteering at the food bank and I really love it. The people there are friendly. I can't say I have made any "friends", but I truly enjoy the work. Has really opened my eyes to how many families have to seek out help with food.

You know that is fantastic! I would love to help with our local one, but can't at the moment, it really does make a difference to peoples lives, I try to donate a least a can of something once a week. :D.

GraceBlossom said:
You know that is fantastic! I would love to help with our local one, but can't at the moment, it really does make a difference to peoples lives, I try to donate a least a can of something once a week. :D.

Thanks Grace. It's nice to have you all to share this with you all. Thoae donations are what keep the food banks going. That's awesome!

I am stuck at home and working for my parent,i dont have other group which i can join plus i have a schizophrenia diagnosis...the first step in joining a group is definetly not easy,i guess need alot of bravery

ucxb said:
GraceBlossom said:

Wow, best to you on managing the group, you must have such a heart of gold and a vast amount of strength. Nice to meet you :)

No not at all, but I try, thank you for saying that :). It's lovely to meet you too :).

libby08 said:
GraceBlossom said:

Thanks Grace. It's nice to have you all to share this with you all. Thoae donations are what keep the food banks going. That's awesome!

It is good to be able to come here! I know about the donations, it isn't well known around here, but becoming more common and awareness is being raised, that some people are actually going without meals to just make ends meet or keep the roof over their heads. :)

Tx2116 said:
I am stuck at home and working for my parent,i dont have other group which i can join plus i have a schizophrenia diagnosis...the first step in joining a group is definetly not easy,i guess need alot of bravery

You have so much to deal with already, be kind to yourself, and if you want that, we are here to listen and talk through it with you :).

First day volunteering at the humane society was a success... everyone was pleasant and the pooches needed much love !

congratulations! It is a huge step, you must be proud of yourself - I wish I could see a picture of a pooch :)

ucxb said:
First day volunteering at the humane society was a success... everyone was pleasant and the pooches needed much love !

That's awesome ucxb. All the best!

Latest posts

Back