Anyone with dysthymia?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverman

Reaction score
Is there anyone here diagnosed with dysthymia? I've been thinking that I might have it, but I haven't got an actual diagnosis. Once a psychiatrist just suspected that it might be the case... I'm not gloomy all the time, but I have this kind of heavy, depressive feeling somewhere at the back of my mind even when I'm not completely down in the dumps. It's hard for me to be totally excited about something, and this has been going on for over ten years :(

Never heard of it.
Had to look it up.
I'm currently reading a book called The Mood Cure.
I came to this forum in December when I was EXTREMELY depressed,
only to find out that alcohol AND caffeine were MAJOR contributors to my depression.
I'm feeling so much better now it feels like a miracle or something.

I hope you'll feel better.

I have mild depression, but this is the first time I've hear of dysthymia,

I looked it up,

how exactly is it different than depression, do you get consoling? I take anti depresents or ssri's it's not too bad I think it helps some

working out helps too, although sometimes it's hard to get started but once you get started it's great,

excersie has been proven to be just as effective as antidepressents

these things are hard, but we can get through them

*hugs*

Maybe I should've explained what dysthymia means when I started this thread... So, dysthymia is a form of depression that is presumably milder but longer-lasting than the so-called major depressive disorder. If a person has been mildly depressed at least two years without a break, he or she maybe suffering from dysthymia.

Many people suffering from dysthymia may not recognize their illness, because they think that it is just part of their personality. Because of this, it might take years before they seek help, if they do so at all. People with dysthymia are also have a high risk to experience major depression at some point of their lives.

evanescencefan91, I've tried ssri's, but they didn't really help me - all I got was some side-effects. I agree that exercise is important, but at least for me, the good feeling I get from it doesn't last very long. So, yeah... It seems difficult to find longer-lasting relief, but I'm not going to give up the hope.

I was diagnosed with dysthymia by my therapist a few weeks ago. The meds aren't really helping.

shells, I think I know how you're feeling... I really, really hope that you find something that helps you. And the same goes for Mary Mary, too! :)

Riverman said:
shells, I think I know how you're feeling... I really, really hope that you find something that helps you. And the same goes for Mary Mary, too! :)

Thank you. I don't really it have it anymore. Took a lot of work, but I got rid of it.

Latest posts

Back