anything to do with romance makes me depressed

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windowsill

Reaction score
Ive never had a real relationship before, love is not something I know anything about. I tend to stay away from love related art, whether it be music, tv or movies. I barely listen to the beatles, not because I dont like theyre music, but becuase most of their songs are about love, and they depress me. I listen to these songs about love and it just bums me out that I cant relate to it one bit. Has anyone else experienced this?

i know how you feel. this happens to me fairly often as well. people think i dont watch romantic movies because im a guy which is partially true because some of them just look terrible but i like all kinds of movies. i rarely watch them because it just reminds me that im alone. i wouldnt mind watching some of them if i had someone to watch them with.

I used to feel this way over pop music, but I eventually grew desensitised to it. Not sure if it's age or the fact that avoiding that sort of music was relatively easy. Certain movies/TV shows still garner those sorta feelings if the chemistry's strong though.

I feel the same way myself. I do still watch romantic movies and enjoy romantic songs, but I really don't know why. If there is a real life situation though, like a TV 'fly on the wall' show about people in a relationship, or someone I know finds a partner, then it depresses me. Although I have been in a loving relationship in the past, it was a long time ago and I feel like it'll never happen to me again.

Although I'm not in the same spot as you, I know the feeling.
Sometimes a gust of envy breezes around me when viewing or listening to anything that deals with love. I guess it's because I feel I've been missing out on it for quite some time. I've been in a few relationships but nothing I'd consider "real" in a good minute. I'm 29 now and it just keeps getting harder to find someone.

I understand how you all feel. Anything about weddings or marriage really bums me out. The one guy that I thought who ever truly loved me cheated on me, broke up with me and married the other girl in less than a year. This was close to three years ago and my heart still aches so bad. Seems like I can't find anyone genuine or who'll be good to me. Anyway, I avoid watching TV shows, movies and music that have anything to do with love, relationships, marriage or weddings because it only makes me think of them (my ex and his wife) and how happy a life they must have together and how lonely and pathetic I must feel letting my life pass me by while they're off enjoying it.

^^^I always found sex scenes in movies a bit awkward while at the theaters with a new girl on the first date or two.

I mean... ya never know if it's exciting her or if she's weirded out.

So you never know whether to start making out or offer her some popcorn to distract her.

:p

i can relate. all i can watch now are investigative-type shows about homicide. i avoid most music. love is seriously everywhere, it's kind of REALLY annoying.

^^Agreed

Romantic crap always makes us single people cringe in jealousy. I don't like it, I try to avoid it but it is everywhere...just grin and bear it I guess.

shrug.gif

I've been out of the loop for quite a while now. Haven't dated or anything in around 4 years, and I'm still pretty young. I do a bit of the opposite though. Whenever I'm feeling depressed regarding being alone I tend to watch something romantic as well as sad. I do long for it, and I imagine situations where I could be happy and together with someone else.

However I also like to remind myself I'm out of the loop for a reason. I don't feel secure enough to feel like I can bring anything to a relationship, and who would want someone like that? Not to mention I tend to favour platonic love, which at my age effects things more than you could imagine.

Hi Windowsill!

I can relate to what you are feeling but on other topics.

I've had love relationships BUT when I see movies or watch TV shows about close friends, fun and really loving family relationships I get depressed because these things have eluded me for the most part.

I've had snippets of these in the past but few and far between. I am not sure why.

You seem really young and there is always hope. You never know when things might change for you. If viewing that art or listening to that music bums you out, don't do it. Just don't. It's OK. Listen to stuff that gives you hope and a feeling of being "okay".

And by the way, I feel the same about Beatle's music! It's so deep and soulful...it's wonderful but it reminds me of feelings I USED to have and no longer do. So I feel the same about Beatle's music.

By the way, I am in my early 40's. Am I the only "older" person here? Just curious.

windowsill said:
Ive never had a real relationship before, love is not something I know anything about. I tend to stay away from love related art, whether it be music, tv or movies. I barely listen to the beatles, not because I dont like theyre music, but becuase most of their songs are about love, and they depress me. I listen to these songs about love and it just bums me out that I cant relate to it one bit. Has anyone else experienced this?

i know exactly how you feel. it makes me depressed and furious inside. *sighs* i hate being that way...i lost a friend because of that (but there were more issues that went with it) and now were back talking again but it def isnt the same :(

I feel ya man.. its a terrible feeling.. part frustration, part envy, part sadness.. and being a man it just hits u inside more.. it sucks hard. All we can do is try to combat it as much as we can with what we've got. Sometimes I try to remember what I do have.. because even though its not the same as being with a special somebody its still important not to discount those things (family.. friends.. etc.) Avoiding all-together is just impossible with the love messages we are bombarded with.. We have to do our best to cope.. I'm sorry but I don't have any answers to this, I'm on the same boat too.. I hope things work out for you man.

I feel the same way as well. I only listen to doom metal, death metal, and black metal, because they are the only musical genres that RARELY deals with romance.

I feel like it'll never happen to me again.

Me too.
And that, is the very essence of my pain.

I avoid all things romantic as well as I can. Going to my kids Christmas programs... all the happy couples there... and all I can think of is suicide. I kept myself from crying, tho.

windowsill said:

Yep I experience this all the time. I'm a very active person, but I'm lonely as hell. Just driving down the road and seeing a guy and a girl in another vehicle sometimes brings a tear to my eye. Driving by parks and seeing couples running, or listening to the radio and a love song comes on just makes me so depressed. I could keep going on, but your not alone when it comes to this.

Latest posts

Back