Apathetic on my own

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr p

Reaction score
I have this problem that I'm quite apathetic when I'm on my own. I usually sit by my computer, either wasting time or maybe doing something productive.
But that's not the problem, it is that I don't want to do any other things. For example, finding and buying new clothes, furniture--cleaning the apartment, going on trips, or whatever. I just don't feel like doing things like that.
But when I had a girlfriend, I even liked doing the dishes when she was around. I was enthusiastic about getting new clothes, and I would probably take care of the apartment and fix things up. It's like I'm degrading when I'm alone, and it's not like that for my friends. They regularly go and do things on their own. How do they manage? Is there a secret cure?

Sounds like depression. Maybe you just need to push yourself to do things even when you don't want to... and put yourself out there more, find ways to make yourself happy with interests and hobbies.

I think it's good to just get yourself out and going, even if you don't feel like it. Once you're out, it'll probably feel more giving than you thought lying at home thinking about it.

But I know how it feels. That's the whole point of the apathy - it all feels pointless. I always have a hard time finding anything fun to do by my own. Going for a walk? Going to the library? Nothing fun happens in my town, if you are to do stuff on your own.

Kat said:
Sounds like depression. Maybe you just need to push yourself to do things even when you don't want to... and put yourself out there more, find ways to make yourself happy with interests and hobbies.
I've given it some thought, and it's possible I'm depressed. But then I've been so for ages, maybe all my teenage years and up. And that's a scary thought.
I don't know how much I should blame the computer; sometimes it feels like it's eating all my energy. If I didn't have it, maybe then I'd get enthusiastic about doing "real" stuff.

Arcane said:
i'm sorry...i'm in the same boat

oopsiedoop said:
That is EXACTLY how I am.

:(

guld said:
I think it's good to just get yourself out and going, even if you don't feel like it. Once you're out, it'll probably feel more giving than you thought lying at home thinking about it.

But I know how it feels. That's the whole point of the apathy - it all feels pointless. I always have a hard time finding anything fun to do by my own. Going for a walk? Going to the library? Nothing fun happens in my town, if you are to do stuff on your own.

Yeah I've noticed things usually turn out better than I think, especially social events. But I never lie in bed and wonder; that would probably make me do something or I'd become restless.

Calling myself depressed when the fact is I have a lot to be depressed about is weird. On the one hand, someone else might have different reactions to the things that have happened to me. But on the other, someone who was truly depressed, as in a medical condition that manifests in thinking, would not be able to react by jumping up and down with happiness, metaphorically, as soon as something goes right, like having a SO.

oopsiedoop said:
Calling myself depressed when the fact is I have a lot to be depressed about is weird. On the one hand, someone else might have different reactions to the things that have happened to me. But on the other, someone who was truly depressed, as in a medical condition that manifests in thinking, would not be able to react by jumping up and down with happiness, metaphorically, as soon as something goes right, like having a SO.

Well, does it matter? I guess if it's a medical condition, it will probably take longer to improve. I'm the same, but now I "only" have one thing to be depressed about; not having a SO. I need that kind of relationship where I can feel completely relaxed, someone to always be able to be with. I didn't know it was this important... :(

Oh, well, now I’m at least know how it calls. Depression. I feel myself just like you. It’s started in June. And it’s progressive nowadays. I don’t know how to fight with it. Anything doesn’t matter for me. I’ve become insensitive.

mr p said:
oopsiedoop said:

Well, does it matter?

Sure it matters, what is really wrong.

Latest posts

Back