Appreciating and Respecting Yourself is KEY

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyYogi

Reaction score
This is echoed in various spiritual books. But today it came in the form of "The Secret". What do you guys think? I know in my life I think my low feelings about myself have definitely caused others to downgrade me.

Your actions are your powerful thoughts, so if you do not treat yourself with love and respect, you are emitting a signal that is saying you are not important enough, worthy enough, or deserving... You must begin to treat yourself with love and respect, and emit that signal and get on that frequency. Then the law of attraction will move the entire universe, and your life will be full of people who love and respect you. ‪#‎TheSecret365‬

HappyYogi said:
This is echoed in various spiritual books. But today it came in the form of "The Secret". What do you guys think? I know in my life I think my low feelings about myself have definitely caused others to downgrade me.

Your actions are your powerful thoughts, so if you do not treat yourself with love and respect, you are emitting a signal that is saying you are not important enough, worthy enough, or deserving... You must begin to treat yourself with love and respect, and emit that signal and get on that frequency. Then the law of attraction will move the entire universe, and your life will be full of people who love and respect you. ‪#‎TheSecret365‬

This definitely happens, but I think people who have had a decent amount of encouragement and support in being who they are, unrealistically expect others to develop the same amount of self-love and self-respect, without that support. I honestly think those people don't realize how much having that support from others in their lives has lifted them up.

I agree that positive-thinking is for the best, but telling people that your life is going to be filled with lots of people who love and respect you is just disingenuous and naive. It's nothing but New Age nonsense. Stuff that wants to pretend like psychic powers exist, as if 'positive thinking' is somehow going to move the whole universe for you (as the quote you provided even states).

That is an ideology driven by New Age culture, preached by the Prophets of Capitalism, and followed by all the lost people who have been led astray by the cult of consumerism. A message catered to all the privileged people in the world who already have a life full of loving people who respect them, but are just too blind to see them. They just want to sell you on crap like 'healing crystals' and all the other nonsense that requires psychic powers to utilize, or just tons and tons of self-help books. It's all one big scam. They're just taking advantage of the weak, like most try to do.
And once people realize that, once they think positively and still have no friends, no family, and etc. That's when they realize they've been taken advantage of yet again and are delivered even more hopelessly into despair. These sort of lies are also the kinds of things that lead people to suicide. Making people, at their most vulnerable times, feel like nothing more than just easy money, and not just that, but putting blame, for everything, solely on them. Telling them it's the way they think and act which causes all of their problems. 'It isn't the world, it's you!'

... Oh, if it were only that easy.

Call me bitter if you'd like, but the reality of this is very clear. A positive self-image is very good for you, but it's not going to magically change everything in the world. It's not going to change people. It's not going to "move the entire universe" at all, it won't even budge. It's not going to lure a lot of friends to you, it's not going to heal your sickness, and it's not going to change anything but your own self-image. If you want the universe to move, it is as it always has been, you must move it yourself. The only truth to this is that you can't begin to know how to start moving the universe until you learn to move yourself, which requires a positive self-image as well as some determination.

Not to mention, as 0doc explained, that you can't just expect people who don't have any supportive people in their lives to just get up and do this. It doesn't just happen overnight. They first have to seek out people who will support them and accept them for who they are, whether that is people online, a therapist, family members, or even just a stranger they met on the bus, then, only after that, can they learn to accept themselves.

Agree with Odoc and Despicable Me. Acceptance generally begins from the outside in. We need to be accepted and supported by someone else in order to develop self acceptance.

What Despicable Me said. I get tired of the Nike philosophasty being rammed down people's throats by smug and oblivious greedoids. Some one-in-ten-million exception got to be a movie star or elite professional athlete and smugly and disingenuously preaches that that kind of achievement is guaranteed to anyone who just wants it. It's the most pernicious lie imaginable and it destroys people's lives.

mickey said:
What Despicable Me said. I get tired of the Nike philosophasty being rammed down people's throats by smug and oblivious greedoids. Some one-in-ten-million exception got to be a movie star or elite professional athlete and smugly and disingenuously preaches that that kind of achievement is guaranteed to anyone who just wants it. It's the most pernicious lie imaginable and it destroys people's lives.
Yeah, it's pretty easy for them to say when they're the ones who "wished hard enough" and got it. Everyone else just keeps wishing... and wishing... and wishing...

You just don't want it enough, obviously!
"Ask and you will receive", the oldest trick in the book. And that's a pretty darn old book, too.

I have to agree with the OP on this one. If you don't like yourself, how can you honestly hope others will like you? If you stop expecting everything from others, you will open up part of yourself that you didn't know you had more. More respect, more self worth. I see it all the time (including from myself in the past), when you don't like yourself, you DO emit an "aura" of negativity that other people will see, no matter how hard you try to hide it.

TheRealCallie said:
I see it all the time (including from myself in the past), when you don't like yourself, you DO emit an "aura" of negativity that other people will see, no matter how hard you try to hide it.

Agree. I would say so too.

Despicable Me said:
mickey said:
Yeah, it's pretty easy for them to say when they're the ones who "wished hard enough" and got it. Everyone else just keeps wishing... and wishing... and wishing...

You just don't want it enough, obviously!
"Ask and you will receive", the oldest trick in the book. And that's a pretty darn old book, too.

Have you noticed that the chanting of Nike commercial slogans correlates with social status, level of power and influence, and relative wealth? It's predictable but utterly fascinating. If you did a statistical analysis even of the people posting in this thread I'm pretty sure you'd find that correlation as well.

mickey said:
Have you noticed that the chanting of Nike commercial slogans correlates with social status, level of power and influence, and relative wealth? It's predictable but utterly fascinating. If you did a statistical analysis even of the people posting in this thread I'm pretty sure you'd find that correlation as well.
Actually, yes, absolutely. I've noticed it for years and have even tried to evaluate its accuracy myself. I've noticed there are actually few exceptions to it. The most common exceptions being some people of 'lower status' who generally believe in these things and are actually just very gullible people in general.

It's rather weird and as you said very interesting. I've actually noticed a lot of peculiarities with the way people perceive the world, how they behave, how they see others, and etc. that all relate to one's 'status' in society. This is just one aspect of that. Of course I have my own conclusions as to why this is, but that's a whole different topic altogether.

Despicable Me said:
mickey said:
Actually, yes, absolutely. I've noticed it for years and have even tried to evaluate its accuracy myself. I've noticed there are actually few exceptions to it. The most common exceptions being some people of 'lower status' who generally believe in these things and are actually just very gullible people in general.

It's rather weird and as you said very interesting. I've actually noticed a lot of peculiarities with the way people perceive the world, how they behave, how they see others, and etc. that all relate to one's 'status' in society. This is just one aspect of that. Of course I have my own conclusions as to why this is, but that's a whole different topic altogether.

In a thread that started with someone chanting slogans from a Nike commercial, and to an extent that practice has continued, your views are entirely relevant. Please express them. They'd inject a dose of reality into a thread that's intoxicated on the opiate for the masses.

mickey said:
In a thread that started with someone chanting slogans from a Nike commercial, and to an extent that practice has continued, your views are entirely relevant. Please express them. They'd inject a dose of reality into a thread that's intoxicated on the opiate for the masses.
It would take too much time and effort to really do that, and this isn't the best place for it.
But it's interesting you use that phrase, 'opiate for the masses', do you know where that phrase originates from? Maybe your answer lies there.

Peaches said:
what if, you love yourself but no one else agrees?
That is what I have tried to figure out myself for a very long time.
Theoretically we can have the perfect representation and understanding of both ourselves and our world, but so long as those around us disagree then we are bound to be lost in the chaos.

Build self confidence and work on improving yourself and your life will be much better.

Stonely said:
Build self confidence and work on improving yourself and your life will be much better.

The challenge with this is even after you improve yourself you can still see your old self. I was overweight in late elementary and Jr high, but lost it all the summer before my Sophomore year. However, I still saw myself as this fat kid who no girl would ever think about going out with so I was too afraid to ask anyone out. I didn't go to a single homecoming dance or either of my proms because of that stigma I felt towards myself. After I got married, I gained weight and have lost 100 lbs since my divorce, but I still see myself as this morbidly obese guy who no sane woman would go out with. Hence, I shy away because of my fear of certain rejection.

LonelyInAtl said:
Stonely said:

The challenge with this is even after you improve yourself you can still see your old self. I was overweight in late elementary and Jr high, but lost it all the summer before my Sophomore year. However, I still saw myself as this fat kid who no girl would ever think about going out with so I was too afraid to ask anyone out. I didn't go to a single homecoming dance or either of my proms because of that stigma I felt towards myself. After I got married, I gained weight and have lost 100 lbs since my divorce, but I still see myself as this morbidly obese guy who no sane woman would go out with. Hence, I shy away because of my fear of certain rejection.

Part of gaining self confidence and improving your life is MOVING ON from your past. If you live in the past, you aren't living in the present. If you can still see yourself as you once were, you aren't done working on yourself yet.

Latest posts

Back