Are F's,D's or C's bad on your HS report card?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannySmith111

Reaction score
Kind of struggling in high school my sophomore year. Right now have a C in AP world and an F in this stupid elective class with a lazy teacher. Rest of my classes I have A's and a B.

I'm trying my best to bring these grades up. The C in AP world will probably stay but I can get the F up to a C.

Now that I have my first C's on my report cards, how much you guys think that's gonna affect my GPA or chances of getting into a good college in the future? I'm really worried about that. I wanna get into UVA, Virginia Tech, or VCU at least. I'd be the first person in my family to go to college.

It's really been a wake up call for me. What frustrates me is my F in my elective class though. It's not because of me, but how my stupid teacher just DOES NOT CARE about teaching. As for AP world, I just gotta try harder and stop slacking on the quizzes and tests.

What are your thoughts? Any advice?

Short answer, yes they are bad to have on your report. But most will just look at your final year or two. If your grades are poor some colleges will make you take an entrance exam.

Sci-Fi said:
Short answer, yes they are bad to have on your report. But most will just look at your final year or two. If your grades are poor some colleges will make you take an entrance exam.

aww :( so that one c wouldn't look to good would it? You know if it matters as much if its an elective?

C's are considered good over here, I think, they change the **** grading system every 5 minutes. If your teacher is approachable (Which he/she should be) maybe explain how you're struggling with your grades, if not maybe it's worth discussing it with someone higher up.

You want an honest answer? I think grades are overrated and only serve to promote competition and anxiety between students. I had this epiphany after being a straight A student my entire life, and saw that in college this didn't even matter, since the entrance exams placed all candits in equal standing, our GPA wasn't even taken into consideration. So my advice would be, try your best but don't lose your sleep over bad grades, it may not even matter in a few years.

The best person to ask over this would be your school's guidance counselor.

Good or bad is 100% relative to what your purpose is for them? Do you mean for college? The better the college then the better your grades need to be.

If you're looking for a top private institution than yes even you would ideally want all A and A- grades. If you're looking for a decent college, then your overall GPA could probably considerable looser to around a B or so.

Plenty of mediocre colleges only require a C gpa or so.

If you're willing to go to a community college you pretty much only need your diploma or equivalent GED.

As far as weighting. It's always been known that your junior year grades matter the most. Colleges would like to see improvement from freshman to junior year. They also look at your first semester grades of your senior year.

The second semester grades senior year are meaningless which is where the term senioritis comes into play. As hardworking students suddenly loosen up before graduating and caring much less about school.

GrannySmith111 said:
aww :( so that one c wouldn't look to good would it? You know if it matters as much if its an elective?

It also depends how relevant that elective is to what you're going for. If it's not not very relevant, I don't think it matters much if it's just an elective.

What is an elective? Is it a subject you choose to do? If so, could you ask to switch to a different subject/course, one with a better teacher?

Don't ever get too stressed out by grades. I hate the stories of students takign thier lives after or before exams.

I have a D in my GCSE English (UK Exam type), but I also have a degree. To be honest it really makes no difference to my daily work. I've also been published, so :p to that D!

Do you best, but don't stress. Exams prove only you remembered something well for about an hour or so. If I took the same exams now I'd probably fail them all.

Edward W said:
I have a D in my GCSE English (UK Exam type), but I also have a degree. To be honest it really makes no difference to my daily work. I've also been published, so :p to that D!

Omg are you serious? How could you be a writer and get a D for your English exam lol.. it just goes to show.......
Oh I'm glad that grade didn't put you off writing, Eddy. :)

ladyforsaken said:
Edward W said:

Omg are you serious? How could you be a writer and get a D for your English exam lol.. it just goes to show.......
Oh I'm glad that grade didn't put you off writing, Eddy. :)

Proves my point, you liked my writing despite my school results. I guess I have matured since then! :)

Edward W said:
Proves my point, you liked my writing despite my school results. I guess I have matured since then! :)

You're still a kid though. Your daughter's more mature! :p

ladyforsaken said:
Edward W said:

You're still a kid though. Your daughter's more mature! :p

My reply to that...
emoticon-0172-mooning.gif

emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Latest posts

Back