Are there any good resources for loneliness acceptance / positivity?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infieldmitt

Reaction score
like, almost championing it? it's hard to find anything that doesn't treat it as a sort of illness. i find myself thinking lately, even if i could have others in my life, i just wouldn't have the space or time, mentally or physically

I don't understand. You don't have the space or time for others and yet you're concerned about being lonely? Is that correct? If loneliness isn't "a sort of illness", what do you see it as? Loneliness is a state of mind, hence it is an affect on the mind, hence it is an illness of the mind. That's how I see it anyway.

Welcome to the forum.

You sound like one of my friends. Complains all day, then doesn't do anything about it. I always tell him he enjoys being miserable.

I don't understand. You don't have the space or time for others and yet you're concerned about being lonely? Is that correct? If loneliness isn't "a sort of illness", what do you see it as? Loneliness is a state of mind, hence it is an affect on the mind, hence it is an illness of the mind. That's how I see it anyway.

Welcome to the forum.
yeah -- most of the time it's a simple equation, i don't have the time [or effort] to spend. but the feeling creeps in -- usually at night -- even when i logically am happy with things.

You sound like one of my friends. Complains all day, then doesn't do anything about it. I always tell him he enjoys being miserable.
i posted this thread didn't i

Accepting you are stuck in hole at the moment, isn't the same as seeking out and desiring to live in cave; I think, heh.

Various people prefer solitude to varying degrees. I've known extremely social people, who, despite their social prowess, still tend to be kind of, 'loners,' in their own right. And I've heard about legitimate and actual hermits. This one guy in south America built a house, farmed, raised sheep, and lived completely alone, away from human being for the majority of his life. Once his age caught up with him, he was lucky to have a friend, who would come by and help out here and there.

The only place I'd know of, to learn more about a life of solitude, is to seek out information from the source: people who know about that; whether it be on the internet, or in real life.

Monastic life is quite solitary, in many regards, to various degrees; but, some monastic life is quite social, despite that.

As far as, 'acceptance,' of the pains of loneliness, there's psychotherapy, counseling, groups, advice and suggestions all across the internet.

One person here, posted a video, a long time ago, of a, uhmm, lecture, given by a Buddhist monk. One of things he said he did was, every morning he woke up, he greeted himself. He'd say something like, "Hello me." So, this kind of idea of getting to know ourselves; not really alone, even if we are alone. (I don't think giving ourselves a hug is quite the same as receiving one, personally, but there is something to be said for the idea of embracing the pains of our lives, to a certain extent.)

Some of the Christians will say that common prayer, "God grant me to change the things I canchange and accept the things I can not change, and the wisdom to know the difference." etc..

One interesting thing I've found is, some people, even if they have a lot of friends, and a very active and full social life and circle, is, they can not _stand_ to be alone. They simply can not tolerate it. And interestingly enough, I think people like this could often benefit most, from learning to do that: be alone with themselves.

And on the contary, there are those that perhaps have more to learn by being among others, rather than being alone.

So, there's a lot of information out there.

Sadhghuru, Ram Dass, Thich Nhat Han, etc.. All sorts of spiritual advisors and leaders, I'm sure, have their own take; from all different faiths, etc..

There are a multitude of Ted Talks on the subject as well. Probably a wealth of psychological advice, from those types.

The science of loneliness is probably pretty depressing to dig into. I don't think those of us who suffer from it, need to be told it's painful, and therefore, probably stressful, and consequently possibly deleterious to health.

🤷‍♂️

yeah -- most of the time it's a simple equation, i don't have the time [or effort] to spend. but the feeling creeps in -- usually at night -- even when i logically am happy with things.

i posted this thread didn't i
You did. You are used to being alone, so you are making excuses to make sure you stay alone. Those feelings are telling you something, so you need get out of your comfort zone, and at least try to do something about it.

Hello, welcome to the forum. ALL used to be the best resource for feelings of loneliness on the 'net but those days are long gone.

Feeling lonely isn't an illness , I mean it's not recognised as a mental health problem. But having a mental health problem can increase feelings of loneliness.

People think that being alone makes you lonely but I don't think that's true, for me being surrounded by people can be the loneliest place in the world.

Latest posts

Back