Are you a Homo Sapiens or Homo Interneticus?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it fascinating to look at the technological development of the west just in the past 25 years. I believe the human attachment towards technology provides a unique insight into the mindset of teens and young adults today (including myself). Ive had a computer since I was 2 years old. I grew up with the internet, video games, and other technologies. I feel that with the various programs offered with the use of technology, kids and teens can engage in activities nornally not possible in the real world. For example, driving a car wildly through the streets is not somthing someone normally does in real life. With the help of video game technology, people can visualize themselves going crazy on roads without having any physical consequences. I find that imaginations have been replaced with computer screens. Why play pretend when you can watch and interact with a computer screen. For myself, I was highly attached to my computer as a kid and teen (kinda still true today), but with me focusing on my academic studies, it provides me with the occasional glance into the real world.

Homo sapiens or.. interneticus? I'm transitioning. I don't know what into though.

Xpendable said:
TheRealCallie said:
One would guess by going out to join the "real" world.

Sorry, I don't find anything "real" in the world. People talking on the back about others and then acting like nothing, people hiding their intentions just to get something from you; lying to you. Tv shows and movies pandering to sell you stuff and distorting the facts, the news and media owned by a handful of people that represent their agendas. Marketing telling you what you should, what to think, how to act, playing with your image to convince you you take your own decisions. People pretending having the life they're supposed to by buying expensive things on debt. Showing their relationships on facebook as if they're perfect. People getting plastic surgery, face lifts, liposuctions, implants and so on.

You won't get the "real" behavior of people by interacting with them normally. Is hard to find genuine relationships, even by being genuine yourself.

You're putting yourself in those situations to view it that way. Facebook is fake, thays why I don't have it. I don't watch the news because it's depressing, I watch movies that lift my spirits up, whether through laughter or engaging my imagination. Friends that stabbed me in that back? Had them and they're gone now. You choose what you're viewing each day, make it a positive experience. If it's unhealthy, remove it.

lonelypanda said:
Xpendable said:
TheRealCallie said:
Sorry, I don't find anything "real" in the world. People talking on the back about others and then acting like nothing, people hiding their intentions just to get something from you; lying to you. Tv shows and movies pandering to sell you stuff and distorting the facts, the news and media owned by a handful of people that represent their agendas. Marketing telling you what you should, what to think, how to act, playing with your image to convince you you take your own decisions. People pretending having the life they're supposed to by buying expensive things on debt. Showing their relationships on facebook as if they're perfect. People getting plastic surgery, face lifts, liposuctions, implants and so on.

You won't get the "real" behavior of people by interacting with them normally. Is hard to find genuine relationships, even by being genuine yourself.

You're putting yourself in those situations to view it that way. Facebook is fake, thays why I don't have it. I don't watch the news because it's depressing, I watch movies that lift my spirits up, whether through laughter or engaging my imagination. Friends that stabbed me in that back? Had them and they're gone now. You choose what you're viewing each day, make it a positive experience. If it's unhealthy, remove it.
What if 'removing' the 'unhealthy' parts of our lives requires an even more 'unhealthy' thing?
I'm not sure that is what Xpendable means, but I know that would be true for me.
I am a positive thinker myself, and I would have a very hard time following your advice without doing something considered illegal or irresponsible. Removing the negative things in my life would only serve to create even more negative things.
Sometimes I think some of us just get trapped within our circumstances and it is simply just not a matter of internal change that is required.

Despicable Me said:
lonelypanda said:
Xpendable said:
TheRealCallie said:

What if 'removing' the 'unhealthy' parts of our lives requires an even more 'unhealthy' thing?
I'm not sure that is what Xpendable means, but I know that would be true for me.
I am a positive thinker myself, and I would have a very hard time following your advice without doing something considered illegal or irresponsible. Removing the negative things in my life would only serve to create even more negative things.
Sometimes I think some of us just get trapped within our circumstances and it is simply just not a matter of internal change that is required.

But if you are trapped, you are only trapping yourself. Yes, part of it requires internal change, but depending on the situation, it also requires external change.

Say you are in a bad/abusive relationship, you won't get better until you get out of that relationship, which would require getting away from the bad relationship and THEN you will be able to correct the internal damage that was done to you.

stinky_cheese_dude said:
BeyondShy said:
I like blondes, brunettes and redheads. :)

Do you always look at it encoded...?

Wait a second here if you don't mind because I'm puzzled about something. "Do I always look at it encoded?"

1. What exactly does this mean?
2. Since this is the first time you have ever said anything to me (unless you are one of the many who have made more than one account here) how do you know how I "always" look at things?

I'm not upset about this. Just puzzled as hell from where I am sitting.

Deffo homo sapiens for me. I'm 62 yrs old and been internet functional for 6 years now.

I have 3 friends one of whom I'm also sleeping with and 1 internet friend whom I knew in real life for 9 years between 1958 and 1967 and haven't seen since then but found her on an FB group in 2010.

Despicable Me said:
lonelypanda said:
Xpendable said:
TheRealCallie said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean, when I notice things having a negative impact on my mentality or otherwise I remove it. Something as little as drinking coke everyday I replaced it with water. Sure I could have replaced it with booze and been in a worse situation but why would I? I recognized something as unhealthy and it wouldn't be very smart to replace it with another unhealthy thing. I've been on a long long journey to overhaul all my habits and become more healthy in all aspects of my life including food, addictions and even mental stress. I'm nowhere where I need to be, but I'm getting closer everyday and not one thing I replaced has been with something worse. Spending too much time on facebook or watching shows where perfect people shove their perfect perfectness in my face has had such a big impact on my self esteem. When I started to spend less time on the Internet I replaced that with camping and fishing, none of which I don't ever even think to pick up my phone. Only on the rarest of times to snap a pic of a big trout. If it's not in my face I don't think about it as much.

It takes alot of determination, it really does, but it's all in your control. I went from drinking coke everyday, eating fast food everyday. I was getting sick every few months from eating so shitty and I never veggies or fruits. Now I eat so healthy and cook regular meals, I drink 2-3 liters of water a day. I used to suck my thumb and quit doing that. Years before I overhauled my diet I was addicted to cocaine and ectasy, it's not been easy to change but I did it. I guess it just depends on who you are, I'm a stubborn ass person. I guess that works to my advantage sometimes.

BeyondShy said:
stinky_cheese_dude said:
BeyondShy said:
I like blondes, brunettes and redheads. :)

Do you always look at it encoded...?

Wait a second here if you don't mind because I'm puzzled about something. "Do I always look at it encoded?"

1. What exactly does this mean?
2. Since this is the first time you have ever said anything to me (unless you are one of the many who have made more than one account here) how do you know how I "always" look at things?

I'm not upset about this. Just puzzled as hell from where I am sitting.

Hey sorry....

I recognised the statement you originally posted as that from the Matrix movie - my question was part of that scene... Sorry if there's been any misunderstanding.

lonelypanda said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean, when I notice things having a negative impact on my mentality or otherwise I remove it. Something as little as drinking coke everyday I replaced it with water. Sure I could have replaced it with booze and been in a worse situation but why would I? I recognized something as unhealthy and it wouldn't be very smart to replace it with another unhealthy thing.
I'm just saying that sometimes you really just don't have any options. So the only option then is eliminating that thing entirely, which can easily lead to bigger issues in many situations.

Take driving for example. Driving is actually quite dangerous. How other people drive is not in any way in your control and, not to be morbid here, but anyone could run into you at any moment for any number of ridiculous or stupid reasons completely out of your control.
But if we stop driving, what sort of things might happen? If you need to get to work, you'll probably lose your job. And depending on where you live you may not have any access to food or help if you ever need those things.
Sure, someone who lives close enough to their job and the grocery might be able to sell their car for a bike or to just walk, but most people probably don't have those options.
Our current society just isn't built for understanding these sort of issues. Your employer probably doesn't care even slightly about the relatively high chance of dying in a vehicular accident. And they do it, too, because they believe it's necessary. We all take this sort of stuff for granted and so our society functions on these sort of presumptions, even though in truth and reality many of them are factually negative. Not even just for us personally, either. Think of all the CO2 emissions contributing to global warming that all that driving creates. It's simply just expected that so many of us endanger ourselves, others, and our entire world and future generations... but for what, exactly? Why do we do this? I mean really. Not just 'so we can get to work' kind of answer, I mean legitimately why is society set up like this in the first place? Cars are a relatively new invention and humanity survived without them for millions of years. We obviously do not "need" them. So then why, exactly, do we do this?

And that's just one example I threw out there. I could list plenty of others, but I'd rather not go into it too much. I'm sure you get the point.

I just feel sort of trapped sometimes with my own options, to be honest.
And as much as I'd love to try replacing things with something better, the issues that bother me most simply just aren't in my control. And no amount of determination will change that.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic. There's lots of stuff we can do to make bad situations as good as possible, like having your own 'safe-driving' techniques for example. But I do feel I need to be realistic here. And reality isn't so pretty sometimes. It does come across as a bit pessimistic because it just is. That's just how life is sometimes, I guess.

Despicable Me said:
lonelypanda said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean, when I notice things having a negative impact on my mentality or otherwise I remove it. Something as little as drinking coke everyday I replaced it with water. Sure I could have replaced it with booze and been in a worse situation but why would I? I recognized something as unhealthy and it wouldn't be very smart to replace it with another unhealthy thing.
I'm just saying that sometimes you really just don't have any options. So the only option then is eliminating that thing entirely, which can easily lead to bigger issues in many situations.

Take driving for example. Driving is actually quite dangerous. How other people drive is not in any way in your control and, not to be morbid here, but anyone could run into you at any moment for any number of ridiculous or stupid reasons completely out of your control.
But if we stop driving, what sort of things might happen? If you need to get to work, you'll probably lose your job. And depending on where you live you may not have any access to food or help if you ever need those things.
Sure, someone who lives close enough to their job and the grocery might be able to sell their car for a bike or to just walk, but most people probably don't have those options.
Our current society just isn't built for understanding these sort of issues. Your employer probably doesn't care even slightly about the relatively high chance of dying in a vehicular accident. And they do it, too, because they believe it's necessary. We all take this sort of stuff for granted and so our society functions on these sort of presumptions, even though in truth and reality many of them are factually negative. Not even just for us personally, either. Think of all the CO2 emissions contributing to global warming that all that driving creates. It's simply just expected that so many of us endanger ourselves, others, and our entire world and future generations... but for what, exactly? Why do we do this? I mean really. Not just 'so we can get to work' kind of answer, I mean legitimately why is society set up like this in the first place? Cars are a relatively new invention and humanity survived without them for millions of years. We obviously do not "need" them.

And that's just one example I threw out there. I could list plenty of others, but I'd rather not go into it too much. I'm sure you get the point.

I just feel sort of trapped sometimes with my own options, to be honest.
And as much as I'd love to try replacing things with something better, the issues that bother me most simply just aren't in my control. And no amount of determination will change that.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic. There's lots of stuff we can do to make bad situations as good as possible, like having your own 'safe-driving' techniques for example. But I do feel I need to be realistic here. And reality isn't so pretty sometimes. It does come across as a bit pessimistic because it just is. That's just how life is sometimes, I guess.
Nothing is perfect though, and there is no perfect formula. You work with what you have and worry about the things that are in your control. I can change my diet, I can't change people polluting the earth. It wouldn't make sense to remove something if you don't have any other option to replace what you need. You're thinking on a grander scale, that would take the world to change it, you can be realistic and still take away some negative things in your life. I can only speak for my life and my situation, heck some people may want to eat healthier but can't afford it. I spend triple or more eating healthy than I did buying crappy food. That would be out of their control in that situation, but for me it's doable. Something like watching TV and Facebook and it having a negative impact, anyone can change that, just turn it off.

stinky_cheese_dude said:
Hey sorry....

I recognised the statement you originally posted as that from the Matrix movie - my question was part of that scene... Sorry if there's been any misunderstanding.

That explains it. Since I never saw the Matrix movie I didn't know what you were talking about.

Latest posts

Back