Are you optimist or pessimist?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a pessimistic, I always feel as if everything bad will come my way. Sometimes I'm get fearful and scared of rejection and I always think everything will turn out badly or something bad will happen to me. I hate putting too much thought into things, cause every time I think positive something ends up pushing me down. Than I get all bent out of shape and think to myself; I knew it would happen again. Why did I try to think positive, when I already know how the outcome will be. So used to bad things happening to me that it doesn't surprise me much anymore.

WallflowerGirl83 said:
I'm a pessimistic, I always feel as if everything bad will come my way. Sometimes I'm get fearful and scared of rejection and I always think everything will turn out badly or something bad will happen to me. I hate putting too much thought into things, cause every time I think positive something ends up pushing me down. Than I get all bent out of shape and think to myself; I knew it would happen again. Why did I try to think positive, when I already know how the outcome will be. So used to bad things happening to me that it doesn't surprise me much anymore.

I can relate with a lot of what you just said.

Now... does anyone think being a pessimist or "negative" inherited? Or taught? I hate to hear it with a passion. .. but deep down I know I'm just "like my father. " Growing up I caught myself saying and reacting the same way he would. And I had no reason or motivation to do so... I just did and thought to myself. .. wtf I just do? That coupled with experienceexperiences have molded me a rather hard and cold SOaB. I know this. .. and I hate it. But try as I might. .. anyway I wanted to know if any of you think you may have been handed down or taught this habit onto you rather that manifesting it all yourselves.

Hi, WallflowerGirl83!
Nice to meet you in this thread.
You know, I cannot understand you. You know why?
Just read this:
I'm a pessimistic, I always feel as if everything bad will come my way.
and this
I love laughing and it doesn't take much to make me laugh.
I'm a very friendly and caring person & always willing to listen to those who need someone to talk too.
So my question is: how can a person who love laughing and who laughs often, be a pessimistic, and always feel as if everything bad will come?
I just wish you, me, and every member in this thread and on this forum to become happy, friendly, and to find a lot of friends.
I think we all have to understand the reasons of our pessimism to destroy it.

im optimistic, because even when I know my life sucks, and most of the time when im having expectations and hopes about something good going to happen, life ends up dissapointing me, im generally in a good mood.

"Now... does anyone think being a pessimist or "negative" inherited? Or taught? "

Taught. Between people and the environment, we learn how to react, how to behave, even how to think for ourselves...

I "learned" that everything bad really was going to happen. Why? Because for 2 years straight I have endeared more than anyone should have to. I might be young but I swear there was 10 years worth of crap crammed into the short 2 years. I went through "way ******* below the poverty line", went through "hello debt!" and also "IOU everything"... Sided with "Hobby/life goals crashing down to the rocky waves below the crumbling cliff" topped with "Every relationship fails, so stop trying." And each of these had a crap ton inbetween that I swear would cause a sane person to collapse to their knees.

As for which I am; optimist or pessimist... I am definitely leaning towards pessimist. But as described above, because of all the crap I went through, it became the norm not to expect much. I already have the pessimist planning the "just in case it craps out like it has before (over and over....)." I am optimistic for other people, more than myself.

As for the thoughts on "you cannot be an optimistic person AND lonely..." Sure you can. A person can say to themselves, "I am going to meet someone special! I'm going to own my own business! I'm going to have good friends!" And so on... But yet, they may not have that? They may not end up having someone to love (or who loves them). Or own their own business, or have many (or any) friends. Yet they still look for that light in the darkness.

"So my question is: how can a person who love laughing and who laughs often, be a pessimistic, and always feel as if everything bad will come?"

Being caring and loving to laugh, does not automatically mean "optimist!!" It's just how the person is. They want to feel happy, loved... Love to care, and love to love. But they can still feel afraid, alone, unsure, or overall as a pessimistic person would.

I've always been a pessimist. It's something about myself that I cannot change, and is one of a number of 'turn offs' for prospective friends.

Who is a pessimist? A pessimist is someone who says "Everything is bad!"
Who is an optimist? An optimist is someone who says to pessimist: "It's not that bad, it's much worse than you think!" :D

Latest posts

Back