Are you socially awkward?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm usually socially awkward, but sometimes able to carry a conversation fine though when I loosen up a bit and get to know the person/people I'm talking to.

I don't think I am, but then I notice people that I like don't talk to me (in person). I feel like people feel very "heavy" around me, and often will turn to someone who seems "lighter" and more amusing. I'm usually comfortable around people but then I say things that make people uncomfortable. I don't seem to have the social skills to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Sometimes I feel fine, I can talk and laugh but others times I have no idea what to do/say... I end up looking at stuff like artwork or posters. The last time this happened I was over at my boyfriends parents house and he had to use the rest room. I felt so awkward just waiting for him I ended up looking at their artwork for an age... It was horrible..

I'm shy, but not necessarily uncomfortable
since I work I'm talking more to other

I don'tt like talking because I feel boring. So most of the time I just answer the questions that are asked and this is

Most definitely.

I never know what to say and when I do think of something I'm usually too scared to say it. I stammer and get my words in the wrong order, or I panic and blurt out something completely random which isn't even true.

I can talk to my fiance, my girls, my parents and my doctor. That's it. I can't talk to my sister and brother in law.

Idol Minos said:
Are you? Do you have trouble making conversation? Do you stutter? Is your speech slurred? Just don't know what to say? Are you the quiet type?

I am not socially awkward, still I do not fit in with most of the people of the nowadays generation. Lots of people I know are those who become popular in no time. I'm the more serious type of guy, but I can make fun and such.

I however really dislike the nowadays 'swag fag' generation, if you know what I mean.

I consider myself as socially awkward. but people I deal with think I'm outgoing. It really depends on your company I guess... being around people who believe in you and/or understands you is a world apart from being around fake / groupthink people who aims for conformity.

But anyone can feel socially awkward at some time. And its part of growing up to learn how to deal with it....

Generally yes, especially with women because I'm afraid of nasty judgements. Once I'm accustomed to someone it's completely different though.

I am the quiet type and I have trouble initiating conversation. Sometimes the words can't get out so I'll just think screw it. I also have trouble maintaining a convo since I can be a boring person to talk to at times. But if I feel comfortable I'll smile and try to be funny to offshoot my more boring aspects.

I am, but I wear a mask to hide it. I just don't like to show my real personality. It's a heavy mask and it drains my energies...I'm just being someone different...

In the past, I was more socially akward. Others used to laugh at me and criticize me, but I'm learning to control these things, with a lot of effort.....ehhh, I don't know for how long I'll be able to do it...you end up exhausted.

No. I just like to smile blankly during conversations while my brain dumps all viable conversation material in the 'immediate shred' bin.

OddlyUnique said:
Nope. Not socially awkward at all. I actually love being around people but find that it's hard for some people to be around me since sometimes my personality can be aggressive

I absolutely understand what you mean by "aggressive personality". I get bored with people's stories about their dull little lives extremely quickly (one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi, bam, patience extinguished!) and my personality flaw is that I can't just sit there and take it.

Often I will begin a malicious cross-examination, designed firstly to discourage them from coming to me in the future with any more of their banal honeysuckle. Usually I achieve this result by exposing inconsistencies in their story, or throwing doubt on important decisions they've made, or even (yes, the word ******* doesnt cut it) criticising their parenting skills. If that doesn't snap them out of speaking more dull honeysuckle then nothing will! So I force people to have conversations they don't want to have, something that rattles their smug little self-assured world.

That's what I call an "aggressive personality". Has made me no friends. But what nobody knows is that the angry man in the corner is actually restraining himself. Watch that movie, "The Avengers", and look into the Hulk's eyes. For me, its like looking into a ******* mirror. Every day I feel I'm only one gamma ray away from going fully green-skinned on everybody.

I've always been the quiet person and I hate walking up to random people and starting conversations. In the past I used to be very naive and try to make friends with others, but no matter what I said they would end up making fun of me in the end. So in the end I just ended up not speaking to many people. Tend to keep to myself most of the time, and I feel comfortable that way. And most of the time I never think that many people are interested in what I have to say anyways.

lusker said:
I'm only one gamma ray away from going fully green-skinned on everybody.

<Hmmm.

Looks at PM inviting Lusker to dinner, back to post.

. . .

Presses delete>

You're always honest Lusker, I'll give you that!

Not really. However, here on the Internet and in forums I'd write more often and longer texts but I'm too perfectionist and self-critical to write in English 'cause it isn't my native language. And sometimes it's hard to translate some points and opinions of mine because I don't know the specific translations of some words or idiomatic phrases from my language to English.

Was this off topic? Sorry if it was. :D But briefly, it's not about being awkward to write something, just don't always know how to explain some of the things. :D

Edward W said:
lusker said:
I'm only one gamma ray away from going fully green-skinned on everybody.

<Hmmm.

Looks at PM inviting Lusker to dinner, back to post.

. . .

Presses delete>

You're always honest Lusker, I'll give you that!

Thank you for deleting me. Story of my life! :(

lusker said:
Thank you for deleting me. Story of my life! :(

Only to save my house from being hulk-ed!

I like you Lusker, I don't always agree with you, but you say what you think and I have to respect that.

I usually just say too much really. I tend to scare people who are quite unlike me away pretty fast, but honestly I have no problem with it. Works like a filter, to filter away people I would never really get along with anyways. I usually talk about stuff that are extremely personal and "normal" people would usually never even bring stuff that I bring up at all.

Latest posts

Back