Arrogance in a white coat

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188522

Reaction score
Why are doctors so arrogant when we treat them with respect. I called my doctor. My mouth drooped, and my eye would not close. Although he was not in, His nurse sent me to the ER. My diagnosis was not a stroke but Bell’s Palsy. I again call my doctor from the ER to tell his office the news. After finishing my prescriptions of prednisone and antiviral, I made a follow-up appointment with my doctor. What greeted me was arrogance in a white coat. Upon re-telling the events, he demanded why I did not call him earlier. He would have wanted to see me immediately. That this was the dumbest thing he had ever heard. I coward down, made another appointment, and left. I am not liking myself right now. Has anyone else had an upsetting arrogant doctor tale?

I'm so sorry that happened to you! To be honest it seems like many people, after they receive degrees, awards, accreditations, whatever, feel superior to others. It's as if others that choose to put their efforts into something else aren't worthy of their time.

I'm a certified mechanic although I didn't choose to do that as a profession. But, wow!, I would say most of those guys have a huge chip on their shoulder like they invented the automobile themselves. Usually all they know is automechanics though. So, big deal. They know one profession. You should hear them talk about how stupid they think everybody else is.

I've always tried to steer clear of "professionals" in any field as I've found the average professional not to be all that knowledgable. I've gotton advice from attorneys, who after a simple seach of laws and statutes, were completely wrong. So, instead I went with what I read and it worked out as it should. But, while talking to them they were so full of themselves and they kept shooting down any ideas I brought up.

IMO, it's best to research what you need to know the best you can. Read it and do your best to fully understand it. Print it out. And then make questions you need or want answered. Then print those out too and take them to whatever professional you need to go to and ask them to please answer these questions. If they won't answer them properly then go somewhere else.

But always remember, only you really care about youself. Everybody else just wants some thing from you. So, they are going to do a half assed job because they are too busy taking care of themselves and their family.

Last edited:
I would recommend finding a new doctor. There is no reason you should have to deal with that honeysuckle. Not in a country where doctors are on **** near every corner. It's really unacceptable.

But yes, I have experienced A LOT of arrogant, higher than thou doctors.

Last edited:
I am 65 and have come across arrogant and stupid doctors and nurses. About ten years ago I became ill and did not know why. Just my symptoms. In those days I knew very little about medicine, health etc. I told my doctors surgery about it and kept being fobbed off with it's only a cold, or virus or whatever, give it time to go away. This went on and on and did not go away. I researched on google and told them I now was sure it was an underactive thyroid. Again I got no no, it is nothing, it will clear, give it time. I insisted and had a blood test which confirmed I was right. No apology.

Years later I am in hospital and having a struggle with recurrent breathing problems, they say it is asthma, I say I am sure they are wrong. They will not listen. This is starting to take over my life as in and out of hospital so much, very time consuming, distressing and ruining my life as I am self employed and work alone and not earning. But still having all of the expenses of running the business and my home. They did not care and would not listen. At the same time I had a terrible stomach. I told them I knew for a fact it was ulcers as had had the same thing before. The medicine for ulcers is cheap and simple, you just take it each day for a week weeks. But they would not listen. Then the doctor said he would give me an ultra sound to check it is an ulcer. My husband was delighted to hear this. I pointed out to him that you cannot see stomach ulcers with an ultrasound, it is impossible.And what was the point of me waiting ages for an ultrasound when they can simply give me this very cheap medication straight away? Eventually when I left the hospital I had the camera down my throat and they said yes it is an ulcer. In the meantime six weeks of an agonising stomach ache that would have been avoided if he had listened.

Months ago I had a hysterectomy a total one. I came home and recovered but soon my breathing got worse and worse and I had insufficient air, my throat was bad and my lungs were bad and was rushed to hospital. I told them that I had just had a hysterectomy and they would not listen. It meant nothing to them. They said it could have been because of thrombosis due to the anaesthetic before. Days pass with them not listening to me. I get my husband to bring in my computer and get up on the screen and show it to the doctor.
Lack of estrogen can cause these exact same symptoms - and I had just had my ovaries removed.
I insisted they give me estrogen and as soon as they did I started to get better.

When you are 65 you too will have a long list of complaints about doctors and nurses. But researching and learning all about these things is the key - it means you know stuff. You are not having to just believe and trust what they say - knowledge is power.

I am 65 and have come across arrogant and stupid doctors and nurses. About ten years ago I became ill and did not know why. Just my symptoms. In those days I knew very little about medicine, health etc. I told my doctors surgery about it and kept being fobbed off with it's only a cold, or virus or whatever, give it time to go away. This went on and on and did not go away. I researched on google and told them I now was sure it was an underactive thyroid. Again I got no no, it is nothing, it will clear, give it time. I insisted and had a blood test which confirmed I was right. No apology.

Years later I am in hospital and having a struggle with recurrent breathing problems, they say it is asthma, I say I am sure they are wrong. They will not listen. This is starting to take over my life as in and out of hospital so much, very time consuming, distressing and ruining my life as I am self employed and work alone and not earning. But still having all of the expenses of running the business and my home. They did not care and would not listen. At the same time I had a terrible stomach. I told them I knew for a fact it was ulcers as had had the same thing before. The medicine for ulcers is cheap and simple, you just take it each day for a week weeks. But they would not listen. Then the doctor said he would give me an ultra sound to check it is an ulcer. My husband was delighted to hear this. I pointed out to him that you cannot see stomach ulcers with an ultrasound, it is impossible.And what was the point of me waiting ages for an ultrasound when they can simply give me this very cheap medication straight away? Eventually when I left the hospital I had the camera down my throat and they said yes it is an ulcer. In the meantime six weeks of an agonising stomach ache that would have been avoided if he had listened.

Months ago I had a hysterectomy a total one. I came home and recovered but soon my breathing got worse and worse and I had insufficient air, my throat was bad and my lungs were bad and was rushed to hospital. I told them that I had just had a hysterectomy and they would not listen. It meant nothing to them. They said it could have been because of thrombosis due to the anaesthetic before. Days pass with them not listening to me. I get my husband to bring in my computer and get up on the screen and show it to the doctor.
Lack of estrogen can cause these exact same symptoms - and I had just had my ovaries removed.
I insisted they give me estrogen and as soon as they did I started to get better.

When you are 65 you too will have a long list of complaints about doctors and nurses. But researching and learning all about these things is the key - it means you know stuff. You are not having to just believe and trust what they say - knowledge is power.
Absolutely!!!!! Everybody SHOULD question their doctors and try to research what they can themselves. Doctors don't really care about you. It's just their job. You are a widget to them. In the old days doctors would closely listen to their patients because people are very good at knowing what's wrong with their own bodies. Remember that you are the customer and they are providing you a service. You tell them what to do, within reason. If they won't then try to find one that will.

Absolutely!!!!! Everybody SHOULD question their doctors and try to research what they can themselves. Doctors don't really care about you. It's just their job. You are a widget to them. In the old days doctors would closely listen to their patients because people are very good at knowing what's wrong with their own bodies. Remember that you are the customer and they are providing you a service. You tell them what to do, within reason. If they won't then try to find one that will.
I live in England. You are not allowed to choose your doctors here. You take the person you are given and if they take two years to see you that is it. That often happens. If you then go privately you get the same person but maybe a bit quicker, so not wort it.

Up until relatively recently, I used to work in healthcare. Was doing that gig for around 30 yrs until I thought f##k it and walked away. So in terms of arrogrant doctors, I could write a book on it as well as other "professionals" working within the NHS be it from personal experiences or from what I've heard from other patients.

I'm so sorry that happened to you! To be honest it seems like many people, after they receive degrees, awards, accreditations, whatever, feel superior to others. It's as if others that choose to put their efforts into something else aren't worthy of their time.

I'm a certified mechanic although I didn't choose to do that as a profession. But, wow!, I would say most of those guys have a huge chip on their shoulder like they invented the automobile themselves. Usually all they know is automechanics though. So, big deal. They know one profession. You should hear them talk about how stupid they think everybody else is.

I've always tried to steer clear of "professionals" in any field as I've found the average professional not to be all that knowledgable. I've gotton advice from attorneys, who after a simple seach of laws and statutes, were completely wrong. So, instead I went with what I read and it worked out as it should. But, while talking to them they were so full of themselves and they kept shooting down any ideas I brought up.

IMO, it's best to research what you need to know the best you can. Read it and do your best to fully understand it. Print it out. And then make questions you need or want answered. Then print those out too and take them to whatever professional you need to go to and ask them to please answer these questions. If they won't answer them properly then go somewhere else.

But always remember, only you really care about youself. Everybody else just wants some thing from you. So, they are going to do a half assed job because they are too busy taking care of themselves and their family.

Attachments

• Corrupt Scientists.jpg
    Corrupt Scientists.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back