Balance between letting someone help you and being a burden

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shygrrl

Reaction score
Okay, I have a question: how do you find a balance between letting people help you and becoming a burden to them? In the past, I feel like I've driven people away who try to help me by becoming to clingy or needy, so now I just bottle up everything and not allow anyone in (not good either, I know). I really want to change this but I am clueless as to how.

I think that reciprocation is the key.
If they scratch your back, you are obligated to scratch their's in return.

Friends help each other, but leeches never repay.

For me, I do as much as I can on my own. I only let people help me with the smaller things... that way, they get to feel like they're doing something for me (which is OK), but it's not something HUGE that makes me a burden to them.

And if I can't do something on my own the first time.... I just ******* find a way to get past it.

So yeah, that's basically my way; only let people do small things for you, and that way you won't seem clingy or a burden. And you also get to focus on the BIG stuff yourself, which grows your character and strength.

Ah yes, I love this question. At least you realize this, so many people don't. The way I see it is like what BJD said, do as much as you can on your own. If you need help and ask just take as much as you need to get yourself on your way, let them kind of give what they want of themselves. The biggest thing is not becoming too needy or asking too much, that's a real bother. It seems you kind of have an idea of that already. As well as A new life said, give back too.

If you can repay the aid in some way, such as by helping with another task, then you've bettered both of your lives. If you keep seeking help over and over with no reciprocation, you burn bridges and become a burden. Among honorable, mature people, gift begets gift. I share my meals with my partner at work; in turn he shares with me the next day, or buys me a coffee when we go to visit his wife at lunch time.

It's important to differentiate between 'hospitality' and 'charity'. I believe the Norse myth lays the rules out well. Hospitality is given to people who are friends, or at least not enemies (potential friends). It helps someone to get back on their feet and enable them, or perhaps lets a weary individual rest and recuperate. The period of hospitality is traditionally said to be three days (see the Lay of Rig, and/or Grimnismal). It's productive and is not a burden, and if needed -at least in this circle- is reasonably expected.

Charity is much longer, past the time when one has worn out their welcome. In Charity, one party is sucked of time, energy, and resources. More often than not, the receiving party is only crippled further by this act, and dependent upon it. It is non-constructive and kills the spirit. A good example of this comes from my childhood, when my mother allowed an old friend and her 18 year old pot head son to move in to our house and stay with us. They trashed the place routinely, lived in filth, smoked in their rooms, and were consistently unemployed. They bred spite and misery, and nothing more, while receiving our charity.

Hopefully that made sense. This is obviously only one view on the subject, but I hope it's given you a different perspective to look at and consider.

Latest posts

Back