Befriend your dark emotions.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleeper

Reaction score
I dont know if you tried this but I found a relief in befriending the darkness inside me and all those emotions like pain,loneliness,agony, despair and many others. I let them to flow in me as they please and listen to them. I can say even that I fell in love with them cause they are great teachers and people like we with high emotional quotient will feel some indescribable emotions that will leave you in a place where not many people find themselves in their lives.

The only thing you have to do is stop fighting them but not becoming numb...just befriend them and treat them with love. They will reveal you some secrets.

After few days I even stopped having a fear and stress. And when you do just befriend that dark emotion and start to enjoy the pain.

Someone tried this before? It completely changed me and my soul..even the world around me.

Sry for my english

I fight the darkness despite the fact that I was spawned from it! Did you know my father was a violent sociopath? Oh so many disturbing things cross my mind each day. I feel an insatiable thirst to touch and tear. It claws at my insides. And yet I can't help feeling that it is my tutor and sole friend through the early dark days of my life. Pity...it is like drugs: it's so bad, but it feels so good.

yes, .... i dont enjoy them.

Surrendering, embraceing, welcome, seize fight,
acceptence, let go...ect.
Some of spiritual principles and teachings.

Diving into your pains is holistic healing.
Feelings are like clouds...so gp right through them.

Sitting in your own BS for a while.
Im guessing theres a part of our brain that
regulate consumptions...such as eating.
Im guess once we reach our threashold
of pains...the brain automatocally stops.

Seizing fighting....let go of it. let it roam,
twist or whatever it dose....
I have to constantly tell myself....
OkiDoki....I feel like honeysuckle..and then what?
or

I try not to listen to it, and when it happens I try to change my thoughts. Those dark ones can just stay in the dark. Every time they surface they get harder to get rid of. I don't like being that way.

tell myself....Oh fucken well. i feel like honeysuckle
at the moment...
The principle of what I resist persist.

Sometimes ill just drop them and not figure them out
as best I can....

Other times...I just repivet my focus to positive
thoughts and emotions.

Sometimes i go into a fital position as i cry my
heart out.

im also guessing....when we experinces truams
from too much pains....our brain has a fail save
or system overload prevention...
it shuts itself down then release numbing
endorphines.
If the pain is too great...sometimes we blackout.

Sonetimes poeple died from shock instead
of the actual injury.

I have to be very careful....
I dont wanna be chornically feeling like honeysuckle.
Then it turns into a habit or a sort of addiction.
Being negative and looking for honeysuckle to feel like
honeysuckle...or worst. Take negative actions or sabatage
my life to feel like honeysuckle..becuase its comfortible
to feel like honeysuckle.

I do not like those kinda days... in fact.. I have had one today. Lots of stired up thoughts and feelings for no reason. I will not let that darkness suck me in for long because it's not worth it. It's not me. Basically I was upset at something but I talked about it outloud and realized that part of me was responsible for such feelings. My response to whatever was bugging me was making it worse.

I tend to wonder what it is that causes it... the weather...something I ate... or repressed thoughts. Or maybe my mind was bored. Either way, expressing it into words or typing it out always helps. There's two options.. feeling sorry for myself or figuring it out, the solution, and moving on.

The dark thoughts, the dark side of me, so called bad emotions...

I do fully accept myself. I am my bestfriend, the one and only. I do not try to get rid of anger, despair and other "bad" emotions that are sometimes overwhelming me. I have learned to use it in my favor. I feel very sad, lonelny, down? That's perfect time for crying and confessing then. Everytime I feel that way, I'm lying down on my bed and talking to myself, confessing about everything and cheering myself up. I have simply learned that there no such things as bad or dark emotions. Everything comes for a reason, and if I feel angry, I should use this anger in a constructive way. Anger gives strenght, anger is one of the best fuels that ever existed, anger is what drives us forward, so why not use that anger to complete a task that's been bothering us for a while?

Every single emotion that I feel at the moment is being used by me. I always try to analyze it, to find it's source and to draw most of what I feel.

I'm celebrating and accepting everything I feel, I do not try to get rid of any emotion, any feeling. No one will ever get into my mind, it's my private sanctuary and I should not be ashamed in front of myself about any thoughts or feelings.

I said to my therapist last week that generally I try to fight my depression, to struggle away from it and get out of it, but I think you have a very valid point. Thrashing around in desperation to get away from a bad feeling does not make it go away. The struggle makes it worse. Maybe peace is to be found in acceptance?

Emotions are just emotions, they are not good or bad anyway.You will hate or fight what you fear. I have found out you have to befriend them so they can heal you. I mean why not? I was in such agony and depression that tried to commit suicide and was completely alone...so after many months I finally found the answer that you have to stop fighting and start enjoying even if its painful at the beggining.

How many people have befriended their depression,loneliness or agony? They will teach you, just try to listen to them, feel them in your body, sense them, feel the heartbeat and try to enjoy it as much as possible. I guess it may sound creepy but its not. Once youll learn to enjoy them they will start to be more rare and will fade away faster. If you are very emotional like me you will start to love the strange mystic feelings the darkness provides. Like going out for a walk at midnight completely alone.
They are not evil or harmful, they harm you more the more you fight them.

Its like if someone showed you love, you show love to those emotions you have and in return theyll love you, hope it makes sense because my english is really bad.

Just trying to help cause it helped me. Experienced myself. I am completely alone without true friends,love or family that understands. Them may even bring you the peace you are looking for.

btw you may try to read this:
http://www.bemindful.org/darkemotions.html

or if you like songs even this (purposely picked one with such a creepy picture so you can find out if you can get the message and *look inside through outside*)

Dont try to get rid of them, try to enjoy them even if it sounds strange. Give them your hand unconditionally and just observe what is happening. Ignore yourself for a moment and stop trying to control or tame them. You cant control love even if you try, this is the same with dark emotions but its harder because you naturally love to be loved but you dont like to be hated or being desperate.

I believe people are divine beings. Souls in physical body. Maybe we are feeling them for so long because we didnt accepted them or didnt learn from what they want to give us so they are staying with us and try to teach us what is necessarily to be given to us even at highest cost.
Like a father is teaching his son the hard way because he wont listen to him when he tells him by word. If the son wont get it he will hate what his father did to him and even blame him or other things for not getting it.

I had that feeling for half the day yesterday. Try to snap out of it, its pretty depressing.

im not disagreeing with you.

I deal and feel my emotion.

Last week I felt an evil sensation all over me.
I allowed myself to feel them...without the
guilt or shame. Feeling my emotions as they
arrised without making a judgement upon myself
of what i was feeling......
Beheath all of that was releave and peace.

Sci-Fi said:
I try not to listen to it, and when it happens I try to change my thoughts. Those dark ones can just stay in the dark. Every time they surface they get harder to get rid of. I don't like being that way.

I agree, I've befriended mine before and it only brought me down and held me there and everytime I fought it and loosened its grip I would resurface less illumined. It wasn't until I consciously decided to fight that I had more light in my life. As little as it is its more than it was and I intend on increasing it.

I think people may be misunderstanding you here, but who knows really.
I agree with that, accepting loneliness, fear, depression, insanity, whatever it is as long as its not sinister or evil or would drive you to do evil things. I think no one should accept feelings of jealousy, superiority, greed.
I like a dark/gloomy atmosphere every once in a while, once I was with other people and I was walking through these dark places and they thought I was crazy, so maybe thats why people don't like to do that kind of thing, because other people will think they're crazy for doing it.

Accepting the way you feel doesn't mean you have to let it take over. Sometimes you have to cry, or feel your pain fully in order to get past it. Swallowing your emotions can be just as destructive as dwelling in them. Acceptance is the first step to recovery.

I'm guessing that's what Sleeper is talking about?

Yes, I've tried that before. It's the best way that I've learned to deal with dark emotions like that, is to be able to harness them and laugh with it. There could be a certain joy that could come from accepting your dark emotions and letting them wash over you.

If dark emotions are prosaic as they are in my life, then fighting them is futile, and I had to find another way to deal with them. My writing is dark. My music is dark. My eyes are condescending. But I'm still a warm person despite that.

The darkness hasn't taken over, it's just a part of me.

Self Acceptence.
We are not out emotions. We have emotions.

We are all humans. We all experince wide array of emotions include dark ones.

Each indiviual simply just need to sit down or observe him/herself of what
he/she dose with their own emotions.

Another recovery principle is sieze fighting. By embracing our feelings or be friend it...especially
the negative ones. What this dose it gets us out of self rejection.
In other words stop fighting ourselves or what we're feeling.

If you're co-dependent or have family members thats abusing drugs or alcohol.
Had been in toxic or abusive relationships...etc
One of first things our asked to do is ACCEPT things you can not change.(your love ones)
Its very very painful. Total devistations

Some of us as children were taught to stuff our emotions or not feel them
such as anger, hurt, hatred, fears, jealousy...ect
Especailly if you grew up in a dysfunctioning home..
Example... if one of your parents was a total drunk...he/she DIDNT FEEL A FREAKEN THING
becuase they were NUMB OUT OF THEIR FREAKEN MIND being drunk or high all the time...
However they were giving you instructions how to live or rasing you.
Mostly likely there were sometype of abuse bullying happening...mental, emotional and physical.

As a child you might had or was force to stuff your feeling to servive.
Example...some parents beat their kids and tell them to STFU!!!! at the sametime.
So child stuff his/her feelings so he/she wouldnt get beat anymore.
Hence the child starts developing behaviors of carringing baggages of emotions
around...hence the disease or cycel continue from generations to generations.

As devestating as I might feel for my love ones...I must feel my hurt, pains, anger...ect
so that I dont do those same unhealthy behaviors of stuffing my feelings.
Stuffing or surpressing my emotions leads to depression and anxieties.

Example...I had evil thoughts and feelings.
Beneath those feelings are hurt. I felt hurted. I felt angery.
By embracing my feeling. Im processing them.
In that process I learn to LET GO of them instead of stuffing them.
As i let go of my hurt and sufferings....beneath that...there's peace and love.

If I stuff my feelings It'll be chornic or I'll dwell on them more. (by default)
Again and again and again and again
becuase my negative emotions are coming up to the surface so that
I may let go of them or release them.
As Jesus say.... CAST IT INTO THE DROUGTH....(im not religious)

When Im in ealry recovery or in ealry therapy.
I'll need a safe enviorment to relase my pains or that i may not get judged,hurt myself or
others....
A lot of deep burried pains I burried in my life time.
Lot and lots of stuff will arrise...I'll FUCKEN SNAP.

Some say it's cleaning house or emptying out my cup.

As I progess in my recovery.
I'll learn to pivet from negative to positive.
I simply recognize my negative feelings are just that something I'm feeling.
There's something not right in my life...something went wrong.
At the sametime I must also recognize if those thought and feeling are just LOOPS my mind
is creating to keep me in a cycle of depression or pains.....
Sometimes it's just BULLSHIT IN MY OWN HEAD.

Thats why some people are taught to meditate as they progress into recovery.
To stop thinking all the time and to also recognize the majority of the pains and depression
are SELF GENERATING. So one learn to get out of ones head from time to time.
To live in the moment. To be presence in to moment.
TO ACCEPT The MOMENT. To also embrace and welcome love , peace and happiness.

I can have just as much fun embacing my happiness...(without the freaking guilt).

As the OP stated...it's neutrual.
I can use it to work for me or against me.
The OP is using it to work for him/her.

I embrace my dark thoughts, but then again I ambrace all thoughts since thoughts are nothing more than the frolicking of the mind.

Sure, a life with joy, happiness, purpose and a sense of being wanted are much to be preferred, but in lieu of the above unobtainable emotions, any emotion is better than none, the intenseness of Melancholy sure fills that aching empty space.

How can I fight myself? lol

It is a long but slow process, but I am doing better than what I use to be!

Latest posts

Back