Being unemployed.....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poguesy said:
Too much soft liberal crap hanging around.

Yeah. **** those hippie liberal Democrats.

350px-NewDeal.jpg

std::string correction = prevPost.substr(0,28);

:p

Poguesy said:
I have never been and never could be long-term unemployed.

Even when I got sacked and ended up with police record (dodgy when ya work in care) I banged on every door and sent letters everywhere. Ten weeks later I had a job.

Its there if you look hard enough.

In the US there are 2 applicants per opening if you use the falsely deflated unemployment rate. If you use the actual unemployment rate (i.e. not snipping long-term unemployed to make the rate lower for propaganda purposes) it becomes more like 5 to 1. Your assertion is demonstrably false.

Dissident said:
std::string correction = prevPost.substr(0,28);

:p

Poguesy said:
I have never been and never could be long-term unemployed.

Even when I got sacked and ended up with police record (dodgy when ya work in care) I banged on every door and sent letters everywhere. Ten weeks later I had a job.

Its there if you look hard enough.

In the US there are 2 applicants per opening if you use the falsely deflated unemployment rate. If you use the actual unemployment rate (i.e. not snipping long-term unemployed to make the rate lower for propaganda purposes) it becomes more like 5 to 1. Your assertion is demonstrably false.

Excuse after excuse.

This is what I do:
Keep a binder containing copies of every job application I've ever sent in. After 40-60 days, I resend another application in case they're now looking for new workers.
If I see a hiring sign, I try to speak with a manager. Internet applications are not only too impersonal, but companies are also obligated to post them even if a employee within the company has already earned the position.
Read the classified ads each day.
Then read various hiring websites.
Speak to temp agencies.

I haven't gone anywhere yet. I think that being a former agoraphobic who was a caregiver really makes people scared of the employment gap in my history. I don't know what to do about that, I can't change the past. Let me know if you ever want to talk about things privatelife.

Poguesy said:
Excuse after excuse.

I'm not suggesting anyone stops trying. :p I'm just saying that this whole "lol if you can't find a job you aren't looking hard enough" mindset is... well, not only is it mathematically ignorant, it's also disingenuous. It's just one of the many ways that the working class is blamed for the decisions made by the upper class.

Also you should stop using "excuse" like that. ;) It's the ultimate admission of defeat. "I can't offer an argument against your point, so I'll save face by disregarding it out of hand."

You gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

Wait, that's Scarface, not me. Nevermind.

Also - I just got back from job searching stuff. Now after speaking to a manager I'm ticked off to learn that people show up to an interview for a job which I really, really wanted very badly, wearing flipflops and beer shirts. Which of course was a position I'm declined for. AgDGSFGFdhsghsd.
Also - Hopefully by the 11th I will have a place to volunteer for...

That's not true. I know a homeless guy who crashes in a basement with no electricity and running water, playing his guitar on the street for the little money he gets to buy some food and low-quality booze. Money, not, power, not, girlfriend, check.

The whole "You need xxx education, salary, living area to get a partner" is a fallacy. In fact, that kind of mentality IS an almost sure-fire way to staying alone. Barely ever seen anyone who said "I've got to sort out my life", who really meant it, and found a partner.

Hey, thanks for that perfanoff. Your story of the homeless guy chilling with a guitar reminded of someone. You reminded me of William Shatner.

What do you first think of when you hear that name? Certainty not somebody whose homeless and loves playing the guitar. I think of; a famous Canadian actor, star trek, nerds, household name that most people recognize, someone who has it made. None of which hold an interest for me... But William Shanter is also a musician... You reminded me of the album Has Been (2004) which chronicles Shatner's own life in an almost autobiography of prose-poems. You would think that such a successful man would be happy with his life? He isn't. William Shatner actually struggles with a great deal of sadness, loss, and regret. For all of his accomplishments he made during his life, he still feels like he hasn't made it yet. He still feels like there's a huge mountain he must scale in order to earn approval from himself and others. There's always that mountain looming over you no matter how much progress you make. "It hasn't happened yet" describes such a famous man as being so filled with terror over the idea that he has lived a life of failure instead of success. That no matter how much he achieved, it still isn't good enough for anyone. How can such a person feel this way?

Your right. People who constantly tell themselves they need to sort things out are always alone. And that's not okay. I hope that one day I can finally feel adequate enough. My health has forced me to give up my career, possibly twice now, and without insurance which I desperately need from a job, I'm in some trouble. Again, I really appreciate you took the time to reply to me. This place honestly helps me feel better and I enjoy reading your messages.

Dissident said:
Poguesy said:
Excuse after excuse.

I'm not suggesting anyone stops trying. :p I'm just saying that this whole "lol if you can't find a job you aren't looking hard enough" mindset is... well, not only is it mathematically ignorant, it's also disingenuous. It's just one of the many ways that the working class is blamed for the decisions made by the upper class.

Also you should stop using "excuse" like that. ;) It's the ultimate admission of defeat. "I can't offer an argument against your point, so I'll save face by disregarding it out of hand."

Tbh I couldn't be arsed arguing back lol

if a paying job cannot be found, will people work a non-paid job while still searching?

It will take the lighten the stress and helps keep things in perspective.... and when being relaxed and energetic is probably the most important thing in an interview, the defining moment. - also, people like to refer people who are working... funny enough...

I've had the opportunity to do pro-bono work but it would have required that I waste 40 minutes of fuel to do it. It's a smart thing to do if it won't hurt you financially because employers become curious when they see extended periods of joblessness, and not having anything to fill that void negatively affects your odds of getting the job. But if it's going to deprive you of food and shelter it's not a smart thing to do.

I'm 43 haven't had a job in about 7 years. On top of that no social life whatsover. I don't even date because I figure why bother no women would want me despite the fact that I'm definitely not physically unattractive(imo anyway). It's hard to have a positive self image though when your life feels like it's on hold and you are still dependent on your mom financially(to some degree). The thing that sucks is that I am on SSD(disability)and it's hard to get off of it. If you work you risk losing your benefits at some point so the job I do get has to really be worth it.

I am 23 and never worked before. I thought going to college would of been the best bet to have a better career, but right now no place not even Burger King will even let me interview because all they see is a 23 year old who never worked and not a college graduate. I feel like a disappointment to my family and an embarassment to my friends. Now with no girlfriend either what do I really have to look forward to?

I was put on the sick a few years ago due to chronic health problems. Unemployment doesn't bother me in the least, but then my whole self-worth isn't tied into receiving a pay cheque at the end of the month.

Same here with some posters. 23, never been employed, leeching off them parents. I have decent skill in videography and used to partake in small informal jobs some friends offered me, covering weddings and events. Now I am still wondering why I stopped moving forward. Went backwards even. I have a college degree but I couldn't convince myself to work for a corporation. I tried applying once, but never gotten past the first interview (I like to think I was over-qualified. a desperate boost-in-self-esteem-kind-of-thing :) ). I feel I am incompetent and incapable of the many things I first thought I am able to excel at.
I see that my real problem is I am easily broken and malleable.

Latest posts

Back