Bender's Journal: Part 2

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday & Thoughts on Mentally Committing to Action

Friday night was a complete waste. I knew as soon as I got in my car to go to the bars that I wasn't going to have a good night. My brain had made a decision to choose comfort over taking risks and approaching people for the night. 

So much of this stuff is mental. The success of a night is almost pre-determined by the thoughts that go through your mind before even stepping outside your front door. This is especially true when going out alone.

I went to one club, didn't approach anyone and left quickly. Had a look around the street for opportunities to approach but it wasn't happening. Realizing that I was in a big uphill battle against my mind, I decided to call it a night early on. 

But I felt like I'd wasted a night and was determined to not let the same thing happen on Saturday night. As I was driving home on Friday night, I decided I would do at least 10 approaches (not counting guys) on Saturday night and I wouldn't go home until I'd done so. On Saturday morning I even wrote myself a handwritten note, saying 'I will not go home tonight until I've done at least 10 approaches' and signed it. 

I think this is the single most important thing for solo nights out - making a mental commitment to approaching. It's important for nights out with other people too but sometimes if you're out with a wingman, they will push you into talking to people.

On all of my more productive nights recently, as soon as I got to the first venue, I knew in my mind that I was going to go and talk to people and I was actively searching for opportunities to do so.

I was just reading back over part of my original journal where I wrote this:

" I have to mentally commit to taking action every night. Follow the 3 approaches per hour rule. If I don’t commit to taking action, my mind will just rationalize reasons not to take action and I’m just relying on good luck."

That is so so true. It also reminded me of my '3 approaches per hour rule' I used to follow back then. Just as it sounds - you do 3 approaches per hour, every hour you're out.

I decided I would apply this rule for Saturday night. I think it's good to follow a rule like this, rather than just saying I'll do X approaches for the night. By doing 3 per hour, you will get to that goal of X approaches for the night but it also ensures you're using your time effectively and not having long periods of not talking to anyone, which can kill your momentum.

Saturday Night - 10 Approaches

I achieved my goal of 10 approaches which is awesome. Proud of myself for committing to that. There were a couple of times during the night, where I thought I wouldn't make it. But I just persisted, until I got there. I'll go through each of the 10 approaches, focusing on the better ones.

1. My intention for the first 3-4 approaches was to simply get comfortable talking to people, get some of the fears out of my system. I didn't care about getting numbers or anything.

It took me a while to do my first approach, maybe 20 minutes. It was a little quiet at the bar I went to and I was struggling to find good opportunities. Finally I saw a girl sitting by herself. I knew she was with another girl, who was probably getting a drink. So I thought I'd approach while this one was on her own.

I opened by simply asking if the name of the bar was 'XY.'  A very low risk opener to get started and once I gauged her response, which seemed positive, I asked her another question about something. This really opened up the conversation. And then her friend came back, so I got talking to both of them.

Went pretty well for the first interaction of the night. I felt like the girl who I talked to first was showing some signs of interest in me. If it had been later in the night, it would have been worthwhile trying to get her number. But being my first approach, I just wanted to leave on a high note and carry some momentum with me.

2. I went to another bar and approached possibly the most attractive girl there. At least top 3. She was waiting near the bar to get a drink. I tapped her on the shoulder and asked her a question. It went fine. She responded positively and had a smile on her face.

But then once that first topic of conversation fizzled out, I got stuck and just let the conversation go, then moved on.

3. I was just coming up to the end of my first hour out and needed one more approach to stick to the 3 approach per hour rule. I spotted a girl, I had seen at another place earlier and told her I'd seen her. 

Probably my shittest approach of the night really. I could see her and her friend were about to leave and I panicked a bit. In those first two approaches I felt pretty centered and in control. In this one, I felt rushed and out of control. Interaction lasted about 15 seconds lol.

4. Different venue. Took a while to do my first approach there. I saw a cute girl at the bar, about to order a drink and went over next to her. This time I thought I'd wait for her to be served before talking to her, so I wouldn't be interrupted. 

I was a bit concerned it may not go well, because she looked like the type of good looking, young girl who can be a bit entitled. 

But fortunately she was really cool and responded very positively. We talked at the bar for several minutes, then she said she was going back to her group and invited me to come and join them after I'd got my drink. Then as I was getting my drink, one of the guys from her group was also getting a drink and introduced himself to me and said I should come over and join them.

So I went with him, back to their table and pulled up a seat next to the girl I'd been talking to. It turned out she didn't really know anyone else in the group and had only just met them a little earlier. This was a good thing because A. I knew she wouldn't be worried about being judged by her friends for talking to some random guy (as some girls do) and B. they were less likely to distract her.

We were having a pretty good conversation, getting to know each other. A little bit of playfulness and teasing in there. I probably could have made it a little more flirty. 

I ended up talking to her for maybe 20-25 minutes and also talked to a few others in the group as well. I needed to leave time to get in the rest of my 10 approaches and I wanted to leave while I was on a high note so I told her I was going somewhere else and suggested we get a drink sometime. She seemed cool with that so I got her number then took off. 

This was a very cute girl and she seemed nice, so I was happy to get her number. Maybe I should have tried seeding something for later in the night. She was only with these people she'd just met so it probably wouldn't have been too difficult for her to rationalize meeting up with me later for food or a drink. Not taking that opportunity was definitely a mistake. 

I also could have texted her later in the night, asking if she was still out and tried to set something up if she was. She even said to me just before I left, 'might see you later on..' so I think she would have been very open to it. 

5. I went to a different venue and had to line up for ages to get into this place which killed my momentum a bit. Even though I did talk to a few guys in the line a bit. 

Inside, I saw a girl who had just taken a seat by herself. Very attractive. Approached and got a pretty positive response. But discovered during the conversation that she had a boyfriend. 

6. Saw a girl standing by herself and I walked past her a couple of times. I got a quick look from her on both occasions. I stopped near her and stood around there for a while, trying to will myself to just do the approach. This isn't a good idea, I need to get better at just going straight in for the approach rather than standing around waiting. 

She started walking in my direction, towards the exit. As she walked past me, I tapped her on the shoulder. Good - I need to do this with girls who are walking more often. 

She stopped and talked for a while but said she was going somewhere else. This is the type of situation, where I need to be able to say 'oh wait before you go......' I was very very close to saying 'before you go, let's swap numbers' but decided against it at the last second. 

7. Went to a different club and talked to a girl out the front for a few minutes. She was nice but didn't really look like my type so I didn't put much into this interaction. 

8. Inside the club it was a lot quieter than usual. I stood near the dancefloor and a hottie in a red dress came over and sat right next to where I was standing. I took the opportunity to talk to her. It was super loud in that spot and I could barely hear a word she was saying. It also made it very difficult for me to express myself as I'd like to. She was showing some signs of attraction but it was hard to do much because of the noise. I could have used that as an excuse to suggest going somewhere else quieter but I didn't have the confidence to do so.

9. Almost tripped over a girl's leg on the dancefloor. I turned around and made a joke about her being a hazard and said she should have a warning sign on her back. She laughed at this. I needed to move the conversation onto something else after that but I wasn't committed to it and ended up leaving.

10. There was a guy and girl standing next to me. I saw the girl look at me a few times but I wasn't sure if the guy was her boyfriend or just a friend. I thought I would approach the two of them and see what happened. 

I talked to the guy first and complimented him on his moustache. Within about 15 seconds, the guy had left and I was 1 on 1 with the girl. But I still didn't know what her connection to the guy was.

I got a good conversation going with her and she seemed pretty invested in the interaction because she was starting to ask me questions to move the interaction forwards. She mentioned she hadn't seen that guy in over a year, so it obviously wasn't her boyfriend. She was visiting for a few days from another city.

We talked for 10 minutes or so and then she said she was getting tired and was going to go back soon. I asked her how long she was going to be here for and she said until Wednesday. I suggested that we get a drink before she leaves and she was keen so I got her number.

The good thing I did with this one and the number earlier, was suggesting some sort of plan before getting the number. This gives her a good reason to give her number out and makes it easier to set up a date over text later on.

This girl messaged me first this morning and definitely seems keen to catch up before she leaves. 

That was my 10th approach done! I still felt like doing some more approaches now I had some momentum but it was getting pretty late so I went home.

A good night in terms of taking action. And I was able to get two solid numbers. I also talked to some very attractive girls. 

One interesting thing to note was that I had modafinil in the morning and some coffee just before going out. This seemed to help me maintain my energy late into the night. Whereas other nights recently I had been feeling drained later in the night. So it might be worth experimenting with that combination again next week. 

bender22 said:
Friday & Thoughts on Mentally Committing to Action

Friday night was a complete waste. I knew as soon as I got in my car to go to the bars that I wasn't going to have a good night. My brain had made a decision to choose comfort over taking risks and approaching people for the night. 

So much of this stuff is mental. The success of a night is almost pre-determined by the thoughts that go through your mind before even stepping outside your front door. This is especially true when going out alone.

I went to one club, didn't approach anyone and left quickly. Had a look around the street for opportunities to approach but it wasn't happening. Realizing that I was in a big uphill battle against my mind, I decided to call it a night early on. 

But I felt like I'd wasted a night and was determined to not let the same thing happen on Saturday night. As I was driving home on Friday night, I decided I would do at least 10 approaches (not counting guys) on Saturday night and I wouldn't go home until I'd done so. On Saturday morning I even wrote myself a handwritten note, saying 'I will not go home tonight until I've done at least 10 approaches' and signed it. 

I think this is the single most important thing for solo nights out - making a mental commitment to approaching. It's important for nights out with other people too but sometimes if you're out with a wingman, they will push you into talking to people.

On all of my more productive nights recently, as soon as I got to the first venue, I knew in my mind that I was going to go and talk to people and I was actively searching for opportunities to do so.

I was just reading back over part of my original journal where I wrote this:

" I have to mentally commit to taking action every night. Follow the 3 approaches per hour rule. If I don’t commit to taking action, my mind will just rationalize reasons not to take action and I’m just relying on good luck."

That is so so true. It also reminded me of my '3 approaches per hour rule' I used to follow back then. Just as it sounds - you do 3 approaches per hour, every hour you're out.

I decided I would apply this rule for Saturday night. I think it's good to follow a rule like this, rather than just saying I'll do X approaches for the night. By doing 3 per hour, you will get to that goal of X approaches for the night but it also ensures you're using your time effectively and not having long periods of not talking to anyone, which can kill your momentum.

Saturday Night - 10 Approaches

I achieved my goal of 10 approaches which is awesome. Proud of myself for committing to that. There were a couple of times during the night, where I thought I wouldn't make it. But I just persisted, until I got there. I'll go through each of the 10 approaches, focusing on the better ones.

1. My intention for the first 3-4 approaches was to simply get comfortable talking to people, get some of the fears out of my system. I didn't care about getting numbers or anything.

It took me a while to do my first approach, maybe 20 minutes. It was a little quiet at the bar I went to and I was struggling to find good opportunities. Finally I saw a girl sitting by herself. I knew she was with another girl, who was probably getting a drink. So I thought I'd approach while this one was on her own.

I opened by simply asking if the name of the bar was 'XY.'  A very low risk opener to get started and once I gauged her response, which seemed positive, I asked her another question about something. This really opened up the conversation. And then her friend came back, so I got talking to both of them.

Went pretty well for the first interaction of the night. I felt like the girl who I talked to first was showing some signs of interest in me. If it had been later in the night, it would have been worthwhile trying to get her number. But being my first approach, I just wanted to leave on a high note and carry some momentum with me.

2. I went to another bar and approached possibly the most attractive girl there. At least top 3. She was waiting near the bar to get a drink. I tapped her on the shoulder and asked her a question. It went fine. She responded positively and had a smile on her face.

But then once that first topic of conversation fizzled out, I got stuck and just let the conversation go, then moved on.

3. I was just coming up to the end of my first hour out and needed one more approach to stick to the 3 approach per hour rule. I spotted a girl, I had seen at another place earlier and told her I'd seen her. 

Probably my shittest approach of the night really. I could see her and her friend were about to leave and I panicked a bit. In those first two approaches I felt pretty centered and in control. In this one, I felt rushed and out of control. Interaction lasted about 15 seconds lol.

4. Different venue. Took a while to do my first approach there. I saw a cute girl at the bar, about to order a drink and went over next to her. This time I thought I'd wait for her to be served before talking to her, so I wouldn't be interrupted. 

I was a bit concerned it may not go well, because she looked like the type of good looking, young girl who can be a bit entitled. 

But fortunately she was really cool and responded very positively. We talked at the bar for several minutes, then she said she was going back to her group and invited me to come and join them after I'd got my drink. Then as I was getting my drink, one of the guys from her group was also getting a drink and introduced himself to me and said I should come over and join them.

So I went with him, back to their table and pulled up a seat next to the girl I'd been talking to. It turned out she didn't really know anyone else in the group and had only just met them a little earlier. This was a good thing because A. I knew she wouldn't be worried about being judged by her friends for talking to some random guy (as some girls do) and B. they were less likely to distract her.

We were having a pretty good conversation, getting to know each other. A little bit of playfulness and teasing in there. I probably could have made it a little more flirty. 

I ended up talking to her for maybe 20-25 minutes and also talked to a few others in the group as well. I needed to leave time to get in the rest of my 10 approaches and I wanted to leave while I was on a high note so I told her I was going somewhere else and suggested we get a drink sometime. She seemed cool with that so I got her number then took off. 

This was a very cute girl and she seemed nice, so I was happy to get her number. Maybe I should have tried seeding something for later in the night. She was only with these people she'd just met so it probably wouldn't have been too difficult for her to rationalize meeting up with me later for food or a drink. Not taking that opportunity was definitely a mistake. 

I also could have texted her later in the night, asking if she was still out and tried to set something up if she was. She even said to me just before I left, 'might see you later on..' so I think she would have been very open to it. 

5. I went to a different venue and had to line up for ages to get into this place which killed my momentum a bit. Even though I did talk to a few guys in the line a bit. 

Inside, I saw a girl who had just taken a seat by herself. Very attractive. Approached and got a pretty positive response. But discovered during the conversation that she had a boyfriend. 

6. Saw a girl standing by herself and I walked past her a couple of times. I got a quick look from her on both occasions. I stopped near her and stood around there for a while, trying to will myself to just do the approach. This isn't a good idea, I need to get better at just going straight in for the approach rather than standing around waiting. 

She started walking in my direction, towards the exit. As she walked past me, I tapped her on the shoulder. Good - I need to do this with girls who are walking more often. 

She stopped and talked for a while but said she was going somewhere else. This is the type of situation, where I need to be able to say 'oh wait before you go......' I was very very close to saying 'before you go, let's swap numbers' but decided against it at the last second. 

7. Went to a different club and talked to a girl out the front for a few minutes. She was nice but didn't really look like my type so I didn't put much into this interaction. 

8. Inside the club it was a lot quieter than usual. I stood near the dancefloor and a hottie in a red dress came over and sat right next to where I was standing. I took the opportunity to talk to her. It was super loud in that spot and I could barely hear a word she was saying. It also made it very difficult for me to express myself as I'd like to. She was showing some signs of attraction but it was hard to do much because of the noise. I could have used that as an excuse to suggest going somewhere else quieter but I didn't have the confidence to do so.

9. Almost tripped over a girl's leg on the dancefloor. I turned around and made a joke about her being a hazard and said she should have a warning sign on her back. She laughed at this. I needed to move the conversation onto something else after that but I wasn't committed to it and ended up leaving.

10. There was a guy and girl standing next to me. I saw the girl look at me a few times but I wasn't sure if the guy was her boyfriend or just a friend. I thought I would approach the two of them and see what happened. 

I talked to the guy first and complimented him on his moustache. Within about 15 seconds, the guy had left and I was 1 on 1 with the girl. But I still didn't know what her connection to the guy was.

I got a good conversation going with her and she seemed pretty invested in the interaction because she was starting to ask me questions to move the interaction forwards. She mentioned she hadn't seen that guy in over a year, so it obviously wasn't her boyfriend. She was visiting for a few days from another city.

We talked for 10 minutes or so and then she said she was getting tired and was going to go back soon. I asked her how long she was going to be here for and she said until Wednesday. I suggested that we get a drink before she leaves and she was keen so I got her number.

The good thing I did with this one and the number earlier, was suggesting some sort of plan before getting the number. This gives her a good reason to give her number out and makes it easier to set up a date over text later on.

This girl messaged me first this morning and definitely seems keen to catch up before she leaves. 

That was my 10th approach done! I still felt like doing some more approaches now I had some momentum but it was getting pretty late so I went home.

A good night in terms of taking action. And I was able to get two solid numbers. I also talked to some very attractive girls. 

One interesting thing to note was that I had modafinil in the morning and some coffee just before going out. This seemed to help me maintain my energy late into the night. Whereas other nights recently I had been feeling drained later in the night. So it might be worth experimenting with that combination again next week. 

Just Games: To answer the question you had about how many of these numbers are turning into dates...

Admittedly, not as many as I would like. Some do. I've got plans tonight to see the last girl from Saturday night. 

In the past I was able to convert a lot more numbers into dates by doing a few things differently. I'm just starting to remember these things (reading back over my old journal reminded me). The big one is making some vague suggestion of future plans together when you get the number. That used to help me a lot and I'll start doing that more often from now.

After Saturday night, I've been thinking about how I can take a more systematic approach to all of this that will lead to consistent improvement. I've wasted so much time just going out and hoping things will fall into place but I recognize that's not a good strategy.

I think setting approach targets, as I did on Saturday night is probably the best way to ensure I'm getting a large enough volume of approaches to make progress. Perhaps a target of 50 approaches for October. I could reach that by doing 10 every Saturday night and 2-3 every Friday night. 

For the next month, I think just focusing on hitting those approach targets will be the most important thing. Because not approaching has been the number one thing holding me back. 

I will give some thought to what I did well and what I could do better but. But the main focus will be to just hit the targets and then in November, start more deep analysis of my strengths, weaknesses and what I need to work on. If I'm able to maintain 10-15 approaches per week, I should have a much better idea of my strengths and weaknesses by November.

Date & Saturday Night

October Approach Tally 10/50

Met up with the girl I met last weekend for drinks during the week. It wasn’t terrible but it didn’t go as well as I was expecting it to go. I did manage to get back to her apartment after we got drinks, which is good. But didn’t get much further. I didn’t really expect to hear from her after the date but she texted me yesterday so it must have been alright.

Friday night was a write-off again. Same as the previous Friday night, where I knew from the start of the night that I wouldn’t be approaching anyone. I gave into my mind and went home very quickly. I need to stop doing this. It’s important to be doing some approaches on Friday night because it builds some momentum for Saturday and makes me more aware of things I need to work on Saturday night.

I decided to commit to doing at least 10 approaches on Saturday night again. I’ve got a goal of 50 approaches for October so I needed at least 10 to be on track.

I hit my goal of 10 approaches. The night actually started out really well. But unfortunately I didn’t carry the momentum into the latter half of the night and finish as well as I wanted.

I started out in a different area to where I usually go. The first bar I went to was completely packed. It was a much different crowd to the places I normally go and I felt a little out of place there.

Tried pushing my way through the crowd for a while to find opportunities to approach. But being so packed, it was difficult. Briefly talked to some girl who also struggling to manoeuvre through the crowd but didn’t count that as an approach.

First real approach was two girls together. They responded well. And their impression of the bar was much the same as mine – too crowded and a lot of annoying people in there. So we bonded over our mutual dislike of the bar and it’s patrons.

We talked for a while and then they decided they would go to another bar down the road and invited me to come with them, so I did.

We had to line up for a while to get into this other bar. As we were lining up, we got talking to some other girls in the line in front of us. Then there were two girls behind us we spoke to as well. They left and decided to go to another bar. And then another group of girls came in the line behind us and I started up a quick conversation with them before we got inside. This was all good for building my momentum for the night.

When we got inside I realised it would be better to go elsewhere because I’d lost interest in the two girls I went there with and the bar wasn’t really my scene. On reflection, one of those two girls was kinda cool and cute and I probably should’ve tried to get her contact details before I left.

After leaving that bar, I realised I needed another two approaches in about 5 minutes to stick to my 3 approaches per hour rule. (I’d spent over 30 minutes with those first two girls)

Did one quick one outside. Then my third approach was two girls sitting on a bench outside the bar I was going to. These girls were pretty young (19-20) and good looking and I was kinda anticipating a dismissive response.

But to my surprise, they opened up very quickly and were happy to talk to me. I just started the interaction by pointing to the bar I was going to and asking them if it was X bar. Then transitioned into normal conversation. It was going really well until their big group of guy friends came along. I bounced at that point.

The next bar I went to was a much better vibe. I’ll definitely need to go back here again in future.
I was wondering around and saw a girl waving at me. It took a second to register then I realised it was one of the girls who were lining up behind us at the previous bar.

She gave me a hug and I got chatting with her and her friend. It became apparent fairly early on that this girl was into me and I had a good chance here if I played it right. She was very flirty and touchy.

Funny thing is, this is the type of girl I would normally just assume wouldn’t like me based on her appearance. She was a pretty hot and dressed like a party girl. When we were lining up at the previous bar, it didn’t even occur to me that this girl might like me.

We started talking about Married At First Sight (the TV show)…which lead to us talking about getting married.. which lead to us talking about going to Vegas to get married. She wasn’t afraid to be physical, even with her friend in front of us.

Lots of good things about this interaction…it was very playful, flirty, physical and there was an established premise that we were into each other. I need to make more interactions like this.

I also had her friend on my side as well. The friend actually suggested that I get her number, which I did.
Then we went over to dance, which is where I dropped the ball a little bit. My dancefloor game is pretty weak and it was difficult to escalate more with her friend next to us.

I thought it would be better for me to leave on a high point in the interaction and get on with my remaining approaches. I told her I had to go and find some friends but I’d text her later.

Even though this was a very solid interaction and I did a lot of things well, I realised later on that I made one really big mistake. This girl was into me… no doubt about that. Knowing that, I should have separated her from her friend for a few minutes, which would have allowed me to take the interaction a step further.

If I’d got her alone, I’m certain I could’ve made out with her and set up plans for later. All I needed to do was say to her friend that I needed to borrow my girl for 2 minutes. The friend liked me so I’m sure she wouldn’t have stopped me.

After that interaction, I left and went to the nightclub area I usually go to. I was feeling pretty good about making a solid start to the night.

It took me far too long to approach anyone at this other area. I wanted to do an approach outside on the street but couldn’t find good opportunities. I finally did a few approaches that didn’t go far.

I was lining up at one club there was a group of 4 or 5 girls in front on me. I had one of those glow sticks that you put around your wrist and I asked one of the girls to put it on my wrist for me. (Really easy way to open an interaction)

Almost straight away I had the attention of the entire group. Pretty cool that I was able to get an entire group of 4-5 attractive girls interested in me within 20 seconds. I was hoping that I would be able to talk to them inside and get one of the girls who was showing most interest in me on her own. But they ended up leaving to get food ☹

Did a few more approaches during the night to round out my 10 approaches. But nothing very noteworthy. I went home before 2am hoping to get a decent sleep so I’d be fresh to go out Sunday afternoon and try to meet some girls. But couldn’t sleep because I’d had coffee at about 8:30pm to give me a boost for the night. Probably need to make that a bit earlier next time lol.

Soooo…. The good thing is I’m actually doing consistent approaches now which will allow me to make some serious progress. Two Saturday’s in a row that I’ve been able to hit 10 approaches per night.

And that’s while being on my own and completely sober! There’s not too many guys who can do that so I have to give myself some credit!

The goal for October is 50 approaches. Just getting into a routine of consistent approaching is the main focus for this month. I’m not going to judge my results too much.

In November/December, I’ll start going into more deep reflection on the things I need to improve and start working on them.

The sad thing is that I should’ve started doing this last December or January…not now. I wasted 9 or 10 months completely half-assing this stuff. Only going at 10%...no commitment at all. I could’ve been so much further ahead if I’d committed earlier on.

I want 2020 to be an amazing year for my dating life. In a future post, I’ll outline exactly where I want to get to in 2020.

I’m sort of treating the remainder of 2019 as preparation for 2020. I’m doing the groundwork needed to make 2020 an unreal year. That means approaching consistently and starting to work on the things that are holding me back.

Of course, I still want to have some great nights in these last 3 months of 2019 and if I stick to the process, I know there will be. But 2020 will be when the real magic happens.

Date

I had a date during the week with a girl I met at the beach about 3 or 4 weeks ago. We got drinks at a bar near here. Nothing happened..I didn’t kiss her or anything. But I did have a really good time.

She’s a cool girl and we have a lot in common. Maybe a bit more outgoing than what I’m looking for but she’s very easy to talk to. And she was more attractive than I remember her being, which was an added bonus! It seemed like she would be keen to see me again. I just need to be careful I don’t get stuck in the friendzone with her.

Saturday Night

Pretty rough night out. Just wasn’t in the right frame of mind unfortunately.

I still committed to doing 10 approaches, which was good. But my mindset from the start of the night was to just get the approaches done and then go home. I really had no intention of moving the interactions forward and trying to get numbers, etc…

A few of the approaches went alright…the girls responded positively, seemed interested. There may have been one or two I could’ve pushed further and got a number but I just didn’t feel like it.

Then a few of the approaches just went plain bad. My last one of the night was a rough rejection, which did sting a little.
Rather than analysing individual interactions, I’m just going to cover a few positives and lessons from the night.

POSITIVES

-Committed to doing 10 approaches despite being in a pretty bad mood
-Stuck to the 3 approach per hour rule
-Got home fairly early for a Saturday night – more sleep
-Feel like I’m becoming more confident approaching now. Just need to start working more on what happens after the approach

LESSONS
-Very difficult to have a good night when in a bad state. Need to find a way to snap myself out of a bad mood and get excited about going out and meeting people. This is especially difficult when you’re on your own

-The central nightclub zone in this city is really not a great spot. I finished up my night there last night and was probably there for an hour or so and barely saw one girl I was really attracted to. It’s just trashy around there. But I still go most weekends because it’s busy there and not far away. It really kills your motivation to approach when you see the type of girls there.

-A lot of the approaches I do are ‘two sets’ (two girls together). These are probably good for warmup sets, just to get talking to people. But if I’m going to start getting numbers from these two sets, I need to change my strategy. I need to pick one of the girls, create more sexual tension between me and her, while friendzoning the other girl. It needs to be more obvious which girl I want. Alternatively, just approach more girls who are on their own or a part of a larger group.

-After my warmup sets, I need to play to win. Just doing the approach and playing it safe won’t get me anywhere

OCTOBER APPROACH TALLY: 20/50

bender22 said:
Date

I had a date during the week with a girl I met at the beach about 3 or 4 weeks ago. We got drinks at a bar near here. Nothing happened..I didn’t kiss her or anything. But I did have a really good time.

She’s a cool girl and we have a lot in common. Maybe a bit more outgoing than what I’m looking for but she’s very easy to talk to. And she was more attractive than I remember her being, which was an added bonus! It seemed like she would be keen to see me again. I just need to be careful I don’t get stuck in the friendzone with her.

Saturday Night

Pretty rough night out. Just wasn’t in the right frame of mind unfortunately.

I still committed to doing 10 approaches, which was good. But my mindset from the start of the night was to just get the approaches done and then go home. I really had no intention of moving the interactions forward and trying to get numbers, etc…

A few of the approaches went alright…the girls responded positively, seemed interested. There may have been one or two I could’ve pushed further and got a number but I just didn’t feel like it.

Then a few of the approaches just went plain bad. My last one of the night was a rough rejection, which did sting a little.
Rather than analysing individual interactions, I’m just going to cover a few positives and lessons from the night.

POSITIVES

-Committed to doing 10 approaches despite being in a pretty bad mood
-Stuck to the 3 approach per hour rule
-Got home fairly early for a Saturday night – more sleep
-Feel like I’m becoming more confident approaching now. Just need to start working more on what happens after the approach

LESSONS
-Very difficult to have a good night when in a bad state. Need to find a way to snap myself out of a bad mood and get excited about going out and meeting people. This is especially difficult when you’re on your own

-The central nightclub zone in this city is really not a great spot. I finished up my night there last night and was probably there for an hour or so and barely saw one girl I was really attracted to. It’s just trashy around there. But I still go most weekends because it’s busy there and not far away. It really kills your motivation to approach when you see the type of girls there.

-A lot of the approaches I do are ‘two sets’ (two girls together). These are probably good for warmup sets, just to get talking to people. But if I’m going to start getting numbers from these two sets, I need to change my strategy. I need to pick one of the girls, create more sexual tension between me and her, while friendzoning the other girl. It needs to be more obvious which girl I want. Alternatively, just approach more girls who are on their own or a part of a larger group.

-After my warmup sets, I need to play to win. Just doing the approach and playing it safe won’t get me anywhere

OCTOBER APPROACH TALLY: 20/50

Nice one Bender .I like the sound of the girl you had a date with keep us in the loop as to how you get on when you next see her...you are going to i hope even if you do just end up as friends.Maybe it's because of my situation I'm hoping you'll follow up a bit more with anyone you get that initial spark with no matter what they look like because I don't quite understand why your approaching so many women instead of investing more with the ladies your getting into conversation with.Maybe I should read your former posts to understand what's going on here lol :D

Just Games said:
Nice one Bender .I like the sound of the girl you had a date with keep us in the loop as to how you get on when you next see her...you are going to i hope even if you do just end up as friends.Maybe it's because of my situation I'm hoping you'll follow up a bit more with anyone you get that initial spark with no matter what they look like because I don't quite understand why your approaching so many women instead of investing more with the ladies your getting into conversation with.Maybe I should read your former posts to understand what's going on here lol :D

Yeah the girl from that date was actually really good! Maybe the best girl I've had a date with since I've been in this city. Funnily enough, she comes from the same city as me originally. She said she's going to an event tonight so I might go along and catch up with her there but have been a bit sick the past few days so not sure.

You do make a good point about following up more with some of the ones I have an initial spark with. There has definitely been a few recently who I let slip away because I didn't really follow up.

To address your point about why I approach so many women though - I guess it comes down to a few reasons:

1. To get over my fear/resistance to approaching women. The more you do this, the more comfortable it becomes
2. The more girls you approach, the greater your chances of finding a good one. I'm fairly picky (both with looks and non-physical attributes). I figure by talking to more girls, I'm giving myself a better chance of finding what I'm looking for.
3. Practice. More approaches = more practice, allowing me to get better faster.

But when I do find someone I like and who responds well to me...you're absolutely right..I need to properly follow up on it!

Didn't go out on Friday night because I was sick.

Saturday night was another frustrating/disappointing night. 

Fortunately I've met two other guys who are keen to come out every weekend from now. So at least I won't need to go out alone every weekend. And they're both pretty good with girls so that will hopefully help me lift my game.

I met up with them last night at one of the nightclubs. It was a really difficult venue for meeting girls - they were all so scattered/ADD. It felt almost impossible to hold their attention for more than 5 seconds.

Even the other guys, who normally do pretty well with the ladies said it was so rough in there.

I think I did 7 approaches during the night and none of them went particularly well. Just wasn't getting very good responses and I couldn't hold their attention. Plus they really weren't the kind of girls I like.

I don't want to get all negative here but this stuff can be very frustrating at times. Just when I thought I was starting to make some improvements not long ago, it feels like I'm going backwards again. It's like one step forward, two steps back.

The one positive is that I'm actually approaching a lot more consistently now than I was up until a month ago.

I think I really need to focus more on finding the type of girls that I'm really attracted to. I'm definitely not going to find many of them at the nightclubs around here. There are some of them at the casino bars. But even there, they are hard to find. There definitely seems to be some great girls at salsa classes and the general salsa dancing scene. I haven't been to salsa for a while, so I should probably go back there. 

I want to find a girl who I'm genuinely excited to get her number and go on a date with. 

When I see girls who look like my type (well dressed..but not over the top, attractive but not supermodel looks, good smile, slightly innocent/girl next door kind of look) I HAVE to approach them. Then I have to make a proper effort to get to know her, find out if she is my type and if it seems like she is then get her number so I can follow up. 

I'm sick of meeting these girls who I feel very neutral toward. I want to meet women I'm actually excited about.

Speaking of excited...just yesterday I was thinking back to my visit to Guangzhou, China last year. I remember walking through some of the streets and being completely enraptured in the culture. Out of all the places I have traveled to, I don't think anywhere has elicited that kind of reaction from me.

There are definitely more picturesque and visually impressive places I have been to but nothing quite like what I saw in China. After that experience, I wrote in my goals for 2019 to travel more in Asia.

Unfortunately I'm not going to make it to Asia in 2019. But I started thinking about a trip to China for 2020 and I was watching some travel videos in China. And it looks AMAZING. There are so many cool places I would love to visit in China.

That's the type of stuff that gets me excited. Not going to nightclubs and trying to talk to girls I don't like haha.

So I'm going to start looking into a trip exploring China (probably by myself) during the first half of 2020. I'm excited just thinking about it. 

A trip like that would also be a good opportunity to meet the type of girls I do like. I remember doing walking tours in Europe and some of the girls on them seemed great. But I wasn't single back then. 

Unfortunately I don't think they have Tinder in China haha.

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]I've been giving some thought about the best direction to go in with this dating stuff.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]I do want to keep meeting women and improving my social skills. But I'm wondering what is the best approach to doing so. There are multiple options for doing so but what's the best one to give me the results I want?[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Let's look at the options and the pros and cons of each...[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Nightclubs/Bars[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]So this is where I has focused most of my efforts since getting started with all of this. [/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,] [/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]PROS[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-high volume of girls to approach[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-it's expected that guys will approach girls at bars and nightclubs, so I don't feel like a weirdo doing it[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-it's possible to get fast results - phone numbers, makeouts, etc[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-it's rewarding when you do well[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-access to girls who probably wouldn't even swipe right for me on Tinder[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]CONS[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-a lot of girls who don't appeal to me, very few who are my type[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-can be very difficult[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-late nights - messes up sleeping patterns[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-not very enjoyable some oftentimes [/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-girls are usually in groups, which is difficult to approach[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-not exactly suited to my low energy personality type[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Online Dating - Tinder, Bumble, etc...[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-access to lots of girls[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-can use it anytime/anywhere[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-my text game is decent[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-probably more efficient than other options[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-tinder algorithm sucks[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-harder to get results in the city I live in compared to other cities[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-high competition [/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-a lot of women on there just for validation, not actually interested in meeting guys[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-very much favoured towards women, difficult for guys unless you're a male model[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Day time - Coffee shops, parks, beach, etc..[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-girls are usually friendlier than at night[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-can meet higher quality girls that don't go to bars and nightclubs[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-could be very good during summer in my city, there will be loads of tourists here[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-more suited to my personality type than bars and nightclubs[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-not very time efficient...can walk around for an hour during the day, while barely seeing any good opportunities to approach[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-I find it very difficult to approach during the day..probably because it's not expected like it is at night[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-hard to do during the week because of work[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Events/Classes (eg. salsa classes)[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-can attract high quality girls that would be hard to meet elsewhere[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-pretty easy to start conversations with the people there[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-can be expensive[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-low volume..some salsa classes I've been to, there has been barely one attractive girl in the class[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-time consuming[/font]
[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]-can easily get stuck in friend-zone[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]I'm getting a little frustrated with bars and nightclubs because it's just so hard to find the type of girls I'm looking for there and I still find it difficult to approach consistently at these places.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Online dating would be great if Tinder's algorithm wasn't so honeysuckle. Bumble is pretty similar to Tinder. And other online dating sites/apps just don't seem to have enough girls on them to make it worthwhile. At least where I am.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]I recently tried deleting my old tinder account and starting a new one to get more matches. I was able to get about 50 matches within a month because tinder makes your profile much more visible if you're a new account. But that effect only lasted for a few weeks and then the matches started to slow down.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]I upgraded to Tinder plus, which gave me one free boost to use. That boost resulted in about 5-8 new matches. [/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]After about a month, it seems like Tinder is barely showing my profile to anyone unless I boost. And it's now over $9 for one boost (which used to be less than $5), which seems kinda ridiculous. I did some research and discovered tinder uses dynamic pricing, so their prices will be different for everyone based on various factors. [/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]I don't mind paying a little bit to give my profile a little extra visibility, especially if it's getting me extra matches but I kind of resent having to pay 2x what it used to cost and a lot more than what other people are paying for the same feature.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Maybe, I'll experiment with using Tinder's paid features just to see what results it does get me. Because the free version of tinder without using boosts seems to be practically useless for me right now. If I'm able to get consistent matches with their paid features then it may be worth it.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]I just started experimenting with 'super likes' in the last few days. I rarely used to use them in the past because I thought it would come across as desperate. But it seems to actually work with the right type of girl. A tinder plus subscription gives you 5 super likes per day so that may be worth it.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]If I'm going to continue with bars and nightclubs, I think I need to change my approach. Perhaps just do short nights out so it doesn't interfere with my sleep so much, focus on going to the right venues, where I'm actually likely to find girls I like and make sure I'm approaching the girls who look like my type. [/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]I borrowed my housemate's bike a few times recently and noticed that when I'm on a bike, I get a lot more looks from girls than if I'm walking. (no idea why!)[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Last time I went for a bike ride, late on a Sunday afternoon, I rode past a super cute girl going for a run. She gave me really good eye contact and a great smile..it was a really cool moment. I wish I'd stopped and talked to her.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Maybe I should get my own bike and just ride up and down the coast a few times every weekend and stop to talk to cute girls who look at me. If nothing else, I would at least get a good bike ride haha.[/font]
-

Saturday Night and Thoughts

Went out solo again on Saturday night. I didn't want to waste the night so I wrote a note to myself, committing to at least 10 approaches again. This seems to be the best way to actually get myself to talk to girls consistently on these nights out.

Did my 10 approaches...some were good, some not so good. 

Main issue was that the interactions just weren't hooking...I wasn't getting to a point in the interaction where the girls were clearly invested. And if they weren't 'hooking' within the first minute or two, I was sort of giving up. 

Few of the more interesting interactions:

1. I was standing by myself and a girl, walking past looked at me and briefly stopped. I can't remember if she said hello first or I did. It was a pretty loud spot, so trying to talk to her there was difficult. She said she was going to the bathroom and took my hand to come with her. We got to the bathrooms and she went to the ladies, I went to the mens and we said we'd meet after. Didn't see her again...

What I could've done better - she clearly showed an interest in me by stopping to talk to me and then taking my hand. I needed to capitalize on this. When we got to the bathrooms, I should have stopped her before she went into the bathroom and talked to her properly.

2. I was talking to a couple of other guys I'd met and there was a group of 3 next to us dancing. It was one really cute girl, a guy who looked gay and another girl. One of the guys I was talking to seemed to think that the cute girl was keen on me. So I approached her and got a really good response. Had her smiling and laughing very quickly. Then her friend jumped in (the female friend) and said 'that's my girlfriend' (obviously it wasn't). I sort of just ignored that and kept talking to my girl.

Then the friend jumped in again and said 'that's my girlfriend' and dragged her away. Super annoying because the girl I was talking to was clearly happy to talk to me and the friend was probably just jealous because her friend would get all the attention when they go out.

What could I have done differently? Could have tried talking to the friend to win her over. Not sure if that would have worked. I did see them again several times during the night and I probably could have re-approached and tried again but I didn't.

3. I started talking to a group of two girls near the bar. Don't actually re-call to much about this part of the interaction but it went reasonably well. About an hour after I initially approached them, I saw one of them again and started talking to her again. We talked a bit but I could see she wanted to return to her friend. Before going back to her friend, she hugged me and kissed me on the cheek. 

I thought that was a pretty good indicator of interest so I tried to get her number but she didn't want to give it out. I possibly could have persisted a little more and got the number but she wasn't really my type anyway so I didn't bother. 

4. As I was walking past the bar, I made eye contact with a girl sitting on a stool. She basically opened me. She put her hands on my chest to feel my pecs. Then took my hand and put it on her boob. She actually had pretty good boobs so that was cool haha. But aside from that she wasn't really my type at all. I made a little effort to try talking to her but she seemed kinda out of it so I didn't bother.

5. As I was walking back to my car, I saw two girls near me and somehow got talking to them. I don't even remember how...My memory of last night is a little hazy which is odd because usually I have very good memory of my nights.

But anyway I got talking to them and one of them started showing some interest in me. We came up with our own handshake thing..very playful. But once again, I didnt really take advantage of the interest she was showing. I was sort of just hoping it would lead somewhere, without me doing much. 

If I'd just engaged her in a proper conversation for a few minutes, I probably could've got her number.

So the big problem for me right now is actually turning the interaction into something meaningful. That's where I'm coming unstuck. I've been able to do that in the past but lately, it's been a big problem.

I think a lot of it is just in my head...I've got this silly idea in my head that if I actively move the conversation forward, ask them questions, flirt...then I'll lose value or come across as needy. So I try to just play it chill and wait for the girl to do something. Which is really stupid, because in most cases the girl won't take responsibility for moving the conversation forward.

I've finally got some wingmen to go out with in my city. In fact, last night we had a group of 4 of us.

All this time I've been saying how I wish I had other guys to go out with and how it's so hard going out alone. But there's another side to it...

When you go out alone, you're completely responsible for your own night. You either stand around on your own, looking like an idiot OR you make something happen and talk to people.

But when you go out with other guys, it's like having a safety net. If you're not approaching anyone, you can just talk to the other guys and still feel alright about not going and meeting new people. It's also easier to justify not taking action...eg. 'well these guys aren't talking to any girls right now, so I don't need to either.'

Two of the other guys are extremely good with girls. Possibly the best I've seen in person. They just make it look so easy.

I was watching them approach girls last night and get these great responses and have no trouble holding the conversation. 

Which sort of got me in my head... I started thinking 'I can't do that...I don't get responses like that...why even bother?'

And long story short, I barely ended up approaching anyone on my own.

But I shouldn't compare myself to these guys. Apparently they are going out almost every day and night and talking to women. And have been doing so for a long time. So of course they're going to do better than me.

There is a lot I can learn from these guys though. Just watching there interactions will teach me a lot.

Online Dating

I really want to get this sorted out...At the start of the year, I was getting dates from Tinder and Bumble so easily. But then since moving to my new city, my Tinder dates have been few and far between. 

I deleted my Tinder account a month or so ago and started a new one. Since creating a new account, I was able to get quite a lot of matches but wasn't converting them into dates.

So earlier today I went back to some of my old online dating conversations from Bumble and Okcupid, to see what I was doing differently back then. Unfortunately I don't have a record of my Tinder conversations from then because I deleted my account. Which would have been good to see, because that's where most of my dates came from.

But just from the bumble and OKC conversations I was able to notice a few things. 

1. I sounded a lot more nonchalant and carefree in my conversations back then.
2. My messages were generally shorter and more direct
3. I was trying to go for the date much earlier in the conversation - I think this was probably the biggest difference
4. I was using emojis much less

For the next few weeks, I'm really going to prioritize Tinder and see if I can start getting some results from it again. The plan is...

• Change my approach to messaging - as per above. Especially going for dates earlier in conversation
  • Use Tinder Boosts - this seems to be the only way to get your profile in front of many women now. I'm going to get a pack of 5 boosts @$6.56 each..which is a bit of a rip-off but if it gets me some more matches and dates, it's probably worth it. If it doesn't get me many more matches and dates, then I'll know not to waste my money on it again. I've also got tinder gold at the moment so I can see exactly how many right swipes I get from each boost
  • Test a change to my profile each boost - I'll try changing a photo, or changing something in my bio each time I do a boost to and see what results in the most likes so I can optimize my profile.
  • Record the results of each boost in a spreadsheet (I'm keen on tracking things at the moment, which I'll write more on below). Spreadsheet will include time/day of boost, how many likes from boost, what changes I made to profile.)
  • Try to respond to messages faster. I've been pretty slow responding to messages lately. Partly because I'm trying to think of a good response, partly because I've been busy with other stuff. But it kinda kills the vibe of the chat if both people are taking a long time to respond and the girl probably thinks I'm not very interested.
  • Try to get some feedback from girls on my photos... I think they're okay but could be better.
I'll report the results here over the next few weeks.

Tracking & Measuring 

I'm going to start tracking and measuring a lot of metrics in my life and there are a few reasons for this..

1. I often have this uneasy feeling that I'm not making progress in my life (not as much progress as I'd like to anyway). But the question is...'what is progress'? It's very subjective. Which is why I want to quantify as much as possible so I have an objective measure of my progress. 

2. The awareness it brings. Some of you might have seen my nutrition journal on here. For the past month or so, I've been tracking all my meals and running mini experiments to try to see what effect my diet has on things like mental performance, hair loss and dental health. The biggest benefit of this so far has been the awareness it has given me and the ability to connect what I'm eating to how I'm feeling. I think the more data I have, the more it will increase my awareness. 

3. It motivates you. I find having something that can be measured is a lot more motivating than trying to improve on something very subjective, where it's difficult to see if you're improving or not.

Unfortunately it's difficult to always find the right metrics to measure. Measuring the wrong things can lead to shortcuts or actions that have long term consequences.

For example...I'm not a big fan of tracking body weight for people who are trying to get slimmer. It can incentivize people to eat dangerously low calories, which might cause their body weight to go down but has negative long term consequences. So it's important to find the right metrics, which I'll need to give some thought to. 

One of the things I'm very keen on improving is overall mental performance.

When I think if the main things I want to achieve in my life at the moment...including financial goals plus social/dating...all of these things would become easier if I can optimise my mental performance.

At the moment, I feel like I'm just not getting the most out of my brain. I'm not performing as well as I'm capable of.

What are the main things that impact mental performance? Diet and sleep are probably the biggest two. So I'll be trying to track these things and then look for correlations between my diet, sleep and mental performance. Also things like meditation, exercise and deep breathing.

I'll probably write more about this in the nutrition journal thread.

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]TINDER[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]I mentioned in a recent posts that I would try experimenting with boosts on Tinder. I've done two boosts in the past few weeks. [/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]The first boost was at 6:30pm on a Sunday night. It only got me 4 likes..pretty dismal. [/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]The second boost was at 8:45pm on a Tuesday night. This one got me 14 likes. I did change my profile a little since the first boost but I think boosting a little later in the evening at 8:45pm made a big difference.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]It's probably worthwhile paying for boosts if I can get 14 likes from each boost. I'll do a few more in the coming weeks to see what results I get.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]DATE[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Had a Tinder date during the week with a Brazillian girl. If I described the whole date, it would sound like it went pretty well. And in many ways, yes it did go well. We had fairly good conversation, we made out and I almost certainly could've had sex with her if I'd wanted to.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]But I just wasn't into the girl enough to get very excited about it. We got along fine and she seemed to like me but the chemistry I'm looking for just wasn't there.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]I'm realising that hanging out with or hooking up with girls who I'm not really into just isn't very satisfying. I wouldn't say the date was a bad experience. I still had a decent time. But I probably would've been just as happy sitting at home reading a book or watching something on Netflix. [/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]WORK CHRISTMAS PARTY[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]We had our work end of year/Christmas party this weekend. A few things I realised from it...[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]1. Hanging out with a group of drunk people and being sober is awful. Almost everyone else got pretty drunk, while I stuck to just a couple of drinks and was basically sober. [/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]2. I don't like social events with large groups. I'd much prefer to hang out with someone one on one than hang out in a large group. When I'm one on one with someone, I feel so much more comfortable and feel like I'm able to be myself more so.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]3. I used to feel bad about not liking these type of large social gatherings (especially involving alcohol). It felt like there was something wrong with me because I didn't like them. But I realise now that there's nothing wrong with me. It's just a personal preference. And I know that I'm not the only person who doesn't like these events.[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]GOING OUT[/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]I didn't go out this weekend. Right now I'm focusing more on Tinder and online dating for meeting girls. [/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]At some point I will start going out regularly again. But before I jump back into that I need to give some more thought to how I can get the results I want from going out and exactly what I'm looking for. [/font]

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,]Going out every week on Friday and Saturday nights just hasn't been giving me a worthwhile return on investment. I'm not meeting the kind of girls I want to from it and it often feels like it's just a waste of time. For now, I'd rather just get the extra sleep that I miss out on when I go out Friday/Saturday nights. [/font]

QUICK UPDATE

I've mostly be doing Tinder game over the past few weeks, which hasn't really yielded much success. There are a couple of girls from Tinder who are keen to hang out but I'm not really very excited about. Not sure if it's worth wasting time and money on dates with girls I'm not that attracted to.

I'm getting matches on Tinder and Bumble but not very high quality ones. Maybe I need some better photos, I don't know.

Last weekend, I went out to the nightclub district on Saturday night for a few hours. Think I honestly saw one girl who I actually felt like approach who appeared like my type. Unfortunately she was talking to some older people (could've been her parents or co-workers) and I didn't even approach her.

It's just depressing going out to these places and seeing the type of people around. If you're not from Australia and you don't know what young Australian's are like when they go out and get messed up, this video might give you some idea:

There are some better areas with classier bars but then you get a lot of pretentious people. It's hard to find something in the middle.

I'm going back to my home city for Christmas. Actually looking forward to going out there because there are some good bars that generally attract better quality people.

bender22 said:
And for anyone just wanting to start out building their confidence, become more social or attract more girls or guys into your life, I'd suggest starting with small steps like that.

Make eye contact with strangers and try to hold it a little longer than normal
Make eye contact with strangers and smile
Ask strangers for the time or directions
Make conversation with workers in clothing shops, coffee shops, restaurants...
Just say hello to people

Anything that makes you a little uncomfortable. I remember walking around the mall just asking people for the time when I first started and even that I found difficult but you gradually become more comfortable.

Making eye contact with someone and smiling at them is a great one. I've said it before that making eye contact with a cute girl, smiling at her and getting a smile back makes me super happy.
You made this post some time ago when I was here last and I just got done updating myself on your latest adventures. You continue to do well and I am happy for you.
These small steps that you posted here are very well thought out and I think make a lot of sense. However they are anything but small steps for a lost cause like myself. You end up by saying "just say hello to people" and honestly I think that says it all. Sometimes the odd thing happens and people say hi to me. After being initially shocked I am ok and hold up my end very well. But I can not expect that to happen all the time.

BeyondShy said:
bender22 said:
And for anyone just wanting to start out building their confidence, become more social or attract more girls or guys into your life, I'd suggest starting with small steps like that.

Make eye contact with strangers and try to hold it a little longer than normal
Make eye contact with strangers and smile
Ask strangers for the time or directions
Make conversation with workers in clothing shops, coffee shops, restaurants...
Just say hello to people

Anything that makes you a little uncomfortable. I remember walking around the mall just asking people for the time when I first started and even that I found difficult but you gradually become more comfortable.

Making eye contact with someone and smiling at them is a great one. I've said it before that making eye contact with a cute girl, smiling at her and getting a smile back makes me super happy.
You made this post some time ago when I was here last and I just got done updating myself on your latest adventures. You continue to do well and I am happy for you.
These small steps that you posted here are very well thought out and I think make a lot of sense. However they are anything but small steps for a lost cause like myself. You end up by saying "just say hello to people" and honestly I think that says it all. Sometimes the odd thing happens and people say hi to me. After being initially shocked I am ok and hold up my end very well. But I can not expect that to happen all the time.

Those are good steps. I need to remind myself of them sometimes too. 

What's stopping you from doing these things? Feel free to send me a PM and have a chat if you want. If you're wanting to work on this, I'm happy to help any way I can. 

I've got a bit slack recently. Been doing a lot more thinking that actually taking action (at least in the dating part of my life). 

But I had a decent night out last night.

I'm back in my hometown and went out with a few of my old wingmen. I met up with my friend Matt and almost straight away he bumped into these two girls he had met once before.

I joined in the interaction then Matt saw some of his work colleagues and left us so it was just me and the two girls. One of them was talkative but the other one was very quiet and hard to engage. I kept the conversation going but really felt like I was struggling. When Matt returned I was happy to have the burden of holding the conversation taken off me. 

It was probably partly because it was early in the night and I hadn't warmed up yet. As the night went on, I found it easier to talk. 

We went to another bar and I got talking to a cute girl in a pink dress. She seemed like my type but was married. Even in this conversation, I still felt a bit awkward trying to carry the conversation. 

It wasn't until after midnight that I was starting to get more comfortable and I started doing my own approaches. We went to another venue...one of my favourites. 

I was by myself and saw two girls, one of whom looked right at me. I got her attention and said 'hey do you remember me?' (I didn't actually know her)

But it was a great way to start the interaction. Got talking to her and her friend for a while. The best thing about the interaction was that it was more flirtatious than most of my interactions have been recently. 

I saw her again later in the night and re-approached. Her friend was still with her, plus some other guy. But they left when I came in, leaving me one on one with the girl. 

Probably could've done a lot more with this interaction since we were one on one. But I reached a point in the conversation where I was thinking 'okay...wtf do I do now??' And stumbled from there. 

I could've taken her to the dancefloor, got a drink, suggested going to a quiet place to chat or got her number. But my brain failed me under the pressure of the interaction.

I was walking upstairs and spotted a girl on her own walking towards me. Stopped her and chatted. It was a quiet spot which made it sooo much easier to talk. Pretty strong interaction actually. Got her Facebook. 

Me and one of the other guys left the club and went outside to try and find the other guys. We stopped near McDonalds and I spotted two girls near us. One of them looked like my type of girl...

Well dressed, cute and had some class.

I asked the other guy if he wanted to come over and wing me. And he did. I was super happy with myself for doing this one. When I see an opportunity to approach a girl who looks like my type, I can't waste those opportunities! 

Went in and used my 'hey do you remember me' opener again. Got a great response from her.

My friend did a good job initially of occupying the friend, which allowed me to talk one on one with the girl I liked. And it was going strong. 

But then he started trying to escalate things with the friend and my girl started getting worried about this. It was like she thought he was going to rape her friend.

I was hoping he would tone it down a bit to make things easier for me but he didn't. I tried to get her attention off them but she was clearly distracted by it.

It felt like a bomb was ticking and about to go off. I knew it was just a matter of time before they were going to leave because of my wingman. 

And that didn't take long...Fortunately I managed to get my girl's last name so I could add her on Facebook just as she was dragging her friend away. 

New years eve is just around the corner, which will hopefully be a fun night! 

Even though I'm planning to focus on finding an amazing girlfriend in 2020 (instead of worrying about getting numbers and hookups from girls I'm not really interested in), it's new years eve and it would be fun to have a few drinks and try to get a few makeouts. Girls are generally very approachable on new years eve so I need to make the most of it.

bender22 said:
Those are good steps. I need to remind myself of them sometimes too. 

What's stopping you from doing these things? Feel free to send me a PM and have a chat if you want. If you're wanting to work on this, I'm happy to help any way I can. 

You seem to have a lot more self confidence in yourself than I do. I am also self conscious and have very low self esteem. In other words I got it all! :(

I'm also very proud. I won't allow myself to be laughed at or get myself in a position to have that happen.

I do appreciate your offer but I will be leaving once again in early January and won't be back until the next holiday season. Thank you again.

BeyondShy said:
You seem to have a lot more self confidence in yourself than I do. I am also self conscious and have very low self esteem. In other words I got it all! :(

I'm also very proud. I won't allow myself to be laughed at or get myself in a position to have that happen.

I do appreciate your offer but I will be leaving once again in early January and won't be back until the next holiday season. Thank you again.

You do sound a lot like me. Especially me from 6-7 years ago. But probably a little more extreme I'm guessing.

I used to let my pride get in the way so much. And still do..I'd probably be so much further ahead of where I am now if I wasn't so concerned about putting myself in a position where I could be laughed at or judged.

Every time I approach a girl, there's a chance I could be laughed at or rejected. And that does happen sometimes, which can sting a bit in the moment. But it's not as bad as you think it's going to be.

I will say, it's a good feeling when you start to see some success, especially when you've struggled so much in the past. Even very small wins are a great feeling.

When I was getting started going out regularly, even if I got a phone number or a kiss, I'd be on cloud 9 for the rest of the week.

You know that girl I was talking about in my last post? The one I said was my type. Just getting her Facebook put a huge big smile on my face. Knowing that I can approach a girl like that, have a pretty solid interaction and then get her contact details is a big confidence boost. And I've been messaging her a bit since then. Would love to see her before I go back but even if I don't, I'm still happy about it.

What I'm getting at is the rewards generally outweigh the negatives.

If you change your mind, the offer still stands!

bender22 said:
You do sound a lot like me. Especially me from 6-7 years ago. But probably a little more extreme I'm guessing.

Maybe so. Hard to say. All I know right now is that I see you as a complete success.

bender22 said:
I used to let my pride get in the way so much. And still do..I'd probably be so much further ahead of where I am now if I wasn't so concerned about putting myself in a position where I could be laughed at or judged.

Every time I approach a girl, there's a chance I could be laughed at or rejected. And that does happen sometimes, which can sting a bit in the moment. But it's not as bad as you think it's going to be.

I know I do. I remember every little slight and it draws me back more.

And it depends on the situation. Sometimes if you get laughed at you can deal with it and even someone like me can move on. Other times it hurts like hell.

bender22 said:
You know that girl I was talking about in my last post? The one I said was my type. Just getting her Facebook put a huge big smile on my face. Knowing that I can approach a girl like that, have a pretty solid interaction and then get her contact details is a big confidence boost. And I've been messaging her a bit since then. Would love to see her before I go back but even if I don't, I'm still happy about it.

What I'm getting at is the rewards generally outweigh the negatives.

I remember that girl that you were talking about. I’m sure she thought you were nice enough to have her give you her facebook page and that’s an accomplishment. Maybe more can built on this and that is all because you decided to push yourself to ask.

bender22 said:
If you change your mind, the offer still stands!

Your offer is a very thoughtful one and if I was still around here year-round like I used to be then I just may have. I’ll be gone soon in early January and won’t pop up again until the following holiday season. I won’t even wish you luck in 2020 because you won’t need it. You’re good!

NEW YEARS EVE

Definitely my craziest, most interesting new years eve yet. 

I got into town around 6:30pm and met up with a few friends for some drinks. We went to one of the nightclubs at 9 to get free entry but it was very quiet.

We went to another club that had a lot more people going in there. Not really the type of venue I’d normally go to but it was new years eve so I didn’t mind.

I was on the dancefloor with the other guys and there were two girls dancing very close to me. One of them was cute and I’d seen her look at me earlier. I should’ve approached her myself.

But then her friend approached me and said “my friend thinks you’re cute.” The friend backed away, looking embarrassed,

I looked at her and signalled for her to come over to me. She came over and I chatted to her. It’s remarkable how much easier it is to talk to a girl when you already know she’s into you.

I said she should come to the club we were going to later on. It sounded like she said she’d come if I texted her (can’t be sure because it was loud). But I assumed that’s what she said and I got my phone out.

She put her number in my phone then I looked out her and kissed her. Made out a bit then she went back to her friend.

Saw her again about 10 minutes later and made out with her again. She was going to another club with her friend but seemed keen to meet later.

LESSON: If the friend hadn’t approached me and told me her friend thought I was cute, I would’ve missed that one. They were dancing right next to me and my girl had looked at me before. That’s all I should need to assume the girl wants me to approach. Must have been so many opportunities where girls have shown interest in me by dancing near me or making eye contact and I didn’t take the hint and approach.

We left and went to another club. Wasn’t too busy yet. Had a bit of a walk around then saw one girl who made eye contact with me.

It was getting closer to midnight and I wanted to make something happen, so I approached with no hesitation. Very exotic looking girl, which I’ve never really had much luck with in the past.

Almost instantly I could see this one was on. Within a minute we were making out. She grabbed my hand and lead me to a quieter part of the club. This girl was pretty wild..she was grabbing my face, hair, biting my lips, loved being pushed up against the wall. Honestly, a little more intense than I like. Especially in a club.

In fact it was so intense that the club’s security decided to kick us out. First time I’ve ever been kicked out of a club. But if anything, that actually helped me because it was now just the two of us outside the club.

We walked down the street, making out along the way.

I won’t bother going into all the detail on what followed. But we ended up getting it on in a carpark haha.

After we were…finished, we headed back towards the nightclubs to find our friends. As we were walking, I realised she didn’t have her bag that she’d had earlier.

So we went back to the carpark (we weren’t even sure which carpark it was) and started searching for the bag, which contained her phone, ID and everything.

It took over two and a half hours to find it. Which was frustrating because it would have been prime hours for talking to girls in the clubs. But I did the right thing and stayed with her to find it.

By the time we found it and I’d returned her to her friends, it was lockout so I couldn’t get into any of the clubs. And the streets were pretty empty.

So it was a pretty good night results wise. I’m sure it would have been even better if I hadn’t spent all that time searching for a bag and had been able to go to the clubs after midnight.

It was cool to have a night like that. Especially for new years eve. And it was a bit of a confidence boost. But it’s not something I’d want to do every weekend. Meeting that girl on the weekend who I genuinely liked, made me happier than anything on new years eve.

In terms of results though, it would have to be the best night out I’ve had since starting this second journal. 

2019 Review/2020 Plans

I was just looking over my post in here from 12 months where I talked about plans for 2019.

They were…

Spend more time doing activities I enjoy

I did follow through with this fairly well in 2019. For most of the year, I think I struck a good balance between leisure activities and work.

One thing I mentioned was going to live music gigs, which I unfortunately didn’t end up doing in 2019 besides a few local music festivals. Unfortunately I don’t think there are many good live music venues where I live.

Find female friends to join me on leisure activities

This didn’t really happen. Something I realised in 2019, was that I’m just as happy doing things on my own as with other people. I don’t need a female friend to come hiking with me or go to the beach.

In 2019, I learned that I’m probably not the type of guy to have many female friends. I connect better with other guys (at a friendship level). And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. If I developed a good friendship with a girl it would be cool. But I don’t think it’s something I need to actively seek out.

Practice new skills

The main two skills I mentioned were salsa dancing and Spanish. I went to a lot of salsa classes in 2019 and continued to learn Spanish. I would like to continue both in 2020 but I wouldn’t rate them as high priorities.

Travel to Asia

Didn’t do this. But planning to in 2020.

Meditate Regularly

Did this at the start of the year then stopped for a long time and finally got back into it in the last 3 months of the year. Need to be consistent with meditation in 2020. It’s good.

Get more dates from online

I did have more dates from Tinder/Bumble than I have any other year. Despite that, online dating was still pretty disappointing in my new city.

Lessons from 2020

1.      I don’t need other people to make me happy. I’m quite happy with just my own company. My breakup in 2018 absolutely crushed me..but in 2019 I was just as happy (if not happier) being single as I was for the previous 2.5 years in a relationship. That doesn’t mean I don’t want other people in my life. I’m super grateful for the good friends I have in my life and enjoy their company a lot. But I certainly don’t need to be around other people all the time or have a big social circle.

2.      The wrong people in your life will just cause you frustration and pain. Some of my housemate experiences really hammered this point home in 2019. I think it’s extremely important to be careful what people you let into your life.

3.      I made a post in here during 2020, posing the question ‘if you could swap lives with any person you know, would you do it?’ In that post, I said I thought about that question and I wouldn’t. I still maintain that answer. Not sure exactly what the lesson here is…maybe be grateful for what I have?

4.      Create a routine. I got into a routine towards the latter part of 2019 and it made everything better.

5.      I got a lot clearer on what type of girl I want in 2019. And what type of girl I DON’T want.

PLANS FOR 2020

More Actively Search for My Ideal Girl

I did say above that I was just as happy being single in 2019 as I was in a relationship for the previous 2.5 years. But I do think a relationship with the right girl would enhance my life.

In 2019, I got a much better idea of what I want in a girl. It also became apparent that going out seeking hook-ups or numbers and dates with girls I’m not really attracted to doesn’t really add a lot of value to my life anymore. I’d rather spend my time with one girl who is special to me.

So in 2020, my goal is to find this. It means going for it when I see a girl who looks like my type. Then if she still seems compatible on a non-physical level, then following through by getting her contact details and setting up a date.

It sucks that the city I live in doesn’t have a lot of the girls who appeal to me. There are definitely more of them in my hometown. But surely there must be some who are my type. This just means it’s even more important to approach the ones who do look like my type when I see them.

Develop focus, motivation, cognitive power

This is something I started to work on a lot towards the end of 2019. I wasted far too much of 2019 (and many other years) because my brain wasn’t focused, and I lacked motivation.

Virtually everything I want to achieve requires a substantial level of focus and motivation, so if I can improve these things, it will make everything else easier to achieve.

Meditation seemed to help a lot towards the end of 2019. Also getting enough sleep and eating fermented foods. But in 2020, I’m going to continue to research this and test different ideas to see what works.

If you’re interested in this, check out my other thread of here: Nutrition Journal.

Different Approach to Going Out

I now value good sleep more than I ever have in my life. So I don’t want to be having a lot of late nights out.

In 2020, I still intend to go out at night fairly regularly. But they will be mostly shorter nights (home by 12pm – 1pm.) And I’ll be focused on meeting girls I’m really attracted to.

Once every 3-4 weeks, I might schedule in a bigger night out looking for more of a ‘fun night.’ It’s still cool having a night out like I did on new years eve. And who knows how long I’ll be single for and be able to go out and have those kind of nights.

Latest posts

Back