Bill Gates' Computer Specs

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VanillaCreme said:
I think 8 is fine for tablets. It's fine for something that you don't expect to run smoothly and fast, such as a tablet or a phone. No matter how great they may be, how up to date they are, I never expect anything such as a phone or tablet to run smoothly. It's nice when they do. But I only expect my PC to be as expected smooth and quick. I wouldn't expect as much from a tablet or from my phone as I would a computer I pieced together myself.

It's understandable you say this, but installing Windows on a tablet/phone vs a laptop is quite different, the laptop has a much more range of hardware it has to deal with, also laptops needs various drivers to work with the hardware, phones an tablets mostly work in the same way.

9006 said:
VanillaCreme said:
I think 8 is fine for tablets. It's fine for something that you don't expect to run smoothly and fast, such as a tablet or a phone. No matter how great they may be, how up to date they are, I never expect anything such as a phone or tablet to run smoothly. It's nice when they do. But I only expect my PC to be as expected smooth and quick. I wouldn't expect as much from a tablet or from my phone as I would a computer I pieced together myself.

It's understandable you say this, but installing Windows on a tablet/phone vs a laptop is quite different, the laptop has a much more range of hardware it has to deal with, also laptops needs various drivers to work with the hardware, phones an tablets mostly work in the same way.

Well, if I did mess with 8, whatever I had with it - tablet, phone, laptop - would already have it installed. I'm not a huge fan of installing the OS. Actually, I could make an exception if it were a lovely 250GB SSD.

VanillaCreme said:
Well, if I did mess with 8, whatever I had with it - tablet, phone, laptop - would already have it installed. I'm not a huge fan of installing the OS. Actually, I could make an exception if it were a lovely 250GB SSD.

The only thing I hate about reinstalling is Updates. I like the feeling of it being a fresh install, but just hate having to download & install those **** Windows Updates. Just seems to take forever.

9006 said:
VanillaCreme said:

The only thing I hate about reinstalling is Updates. I like the feeling of it being a fresh install, but just hate having to download & install those **** Windows Updates. Just seems to take forever.

Oh my gosh, yes, the updates. When I had to get a new HDD, the updates weren't so bad. But there's another computer here where the HDD is crapping out, and we figured maybe a fresh 7 install would help... 14 gigs of updates. I was whoa buddy, what the crap... 14 gigs? And it didn't update them all at once. It was like a span of about 3, 4 days. Totally killed the connection we have, as we were trying to also play games online too.

VanillaCreme said:
Oh my gosh, yes, the updates. When I had to get a new HDD, the updates weren't so bad. But there's another computer here where the HDD is crapping out, and we figured maybe a fresh 7 install would help... 14 gigs of updates. I was whoa buddy, what the crap... 14 gigs? And it didn't update them all at once. It was like a span of about 3, 4 days. Totally killed the connection we have, as we were trying to also play games online too.

I always make the mistake of updating after I install all the drivers, then when I start installing software even more updates appear. I hate all this .NET framework it installs too because there's 2 of their services that has to "optimize files" that max's out your CPU for like 10 minutes afterwards, and if you don't leave it it'll take longer each time your computer starts up.

I hear a lot of people bashing win 8. although I agree that the UI sux and seems designed for tablets and touch screens, behind it all it is not much different than 7, but it boots and shuts down way faster than any previous version of windows as well as opening programs and pretty much anything else I have tried to get it to do.
I don't have it installed on my main pc mind you.. but I did install it on my home server and studio pc.
and on my studio pc, it was able to install drivers for my audio interface that I could not install on windows 7 (it was designed for xp 32bit) and it works great!

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
.NET Framework is what I need to code, so I'm glad it's there.

You need to for a majority of things now, everyone needs it.

9006 said:
VanillaCreme said:

Years ago when I was using Vista I had to reinstall. You're right. Waiting for the updates takes much patience. Especially the service packs.

LoneKiller said:
Years ago when I was using Vista I had to reinstall. You're right. Waiting for the updates takes much patience. Especially the service packs.

Windows 7 only has one, although you have to install a billion other updates before it.

9006 said:
LoneKiller said:

Windows 7 only has one, although you have to install a billion other updates before it.
My computer is a HP and has something called "HP Recovery". I'm not sure exactly how it works though. I think it's meant to restore to factory default via the discs I had to add all the info to.

9006 said:
LoneKiller said:

Is it possible to download a service pack 2? Would it be beneficial to my computer if it is possible?

"HP Recovery" or recovery software from ANY computer company all work in a similar way; usually a new computer will have a hidden partition (sometimes with it's own FAT system) which is used to backup important system files such as the registry, system32 etc... which is done prior to you buying the computer and can be done by you too, so if anything fatal happens the idea is that you can restore them all leaving everything as it was before. The problem is that it replaces ALL system and registry files to how they where before, so if you've installed any software since then it's still there, but the chances are that you'll have to reinstall them. Some recovery systems even create a backup of the CURRENT files before copying over the backups, taking up more space.

I've never been a fan of these systems and I'd prefer to troubleshoot my own problems so I always remove these partitions anyway.

And there currently isn't a servicepack2 for Windows 7.

9006 said:
"HP Recovery" or recovery software from ANY computer company all work in a similar way; usually a new computer will have a hidden partition (sometimes with it's own FAT system) which is used to backup important system files such as the registry, system32 etc... which is done prior to you buying the computer and can be done by you too, so if anything fatal happens the idea is that you can restore them all leaving everything as it was before. The problem is that it replaces ALL system and registry files to how they where before, so if you've installed any software since then it's still there, but the chances are that you'll have to reinstall them. Some recovery systems even create a backup of the CURRENT files before copying over the backups, taking up more space.

I've never been a fan of these systems and I'd prefer to troubleshoot my own problems so I always remove these partitions anyway.

And there currently isn't a servicepack2 for Windows 7.
Ahhh...I see. Thanks chief.

Walley said:
I hear a lot of people bashing win 8. although I agree that the UI sux and seems designed for tablets and touch screens, behind it all it is not much different than 7

The interface of 8 can be changed to look like 7.

LoneKiller said:
My computer is a HP and has something called "HP Recovery". I'm not sure exactly how it works though. I think it's meant to restore to factory default via the discs I had to add all the info to.

That must be a few years old then, because computers no longer come with recovery discs.

VanillaCreme said:
Walley said:
I hear a lot of people bashing win 8. although I agree that the UI sux and seems designed for tablets and touch screens, behind it all it is not much different than 7

Personally I don't find anything wrong with the way it looks. But the speed is about the best feature about it!

VanillaCreme said:
Walley said:

LoneKiller said:

That must be a few years old then, because computers no longer come with recovery discs.
Hey Vanilla. No. I had the recovery put on DVD discs. I have the words recovery media written on the discs. I can't recall why though.

LoneKiller said:
VanillaCreme said:
Walley said:

LoneKiller said:

Hey Vanilla. No. I had the recovery put on DVD discs. I have the words recovery media written on the discs. I can't recall why though.

Ah, ah, back up then? I need to do that for my HDD.

Before I forget: I think there's an addon coming out in November (Kinda like windows 98 PLUS) for Windows 8 (Windows 8.1) that will make changes to copies ran on computers and even will include a proper Start Menu.

Latest posts

Back