Birthdays suck

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I turned 27 today. I don't think there is a more depressing day for me than my birthday, except maybe new years eve or valentines day. It's days like these that remind me of how alone and isolated I am. I went to my parent's house and had my favorite dinner, much like the way a child celebrates. Co-workers asked me if I have any plans tonight and I had to make something up because the truth is too embarrassing to admit. I appreciate my family trying to do something nice for me but I'd really just rather ignore this day.

I am exactly like you. I have always hated birthdays. I've never had tat stereotypical big party that hollywood portrays. I've never had as big a problem with Valentines Day or NYE, even though I would be just alone... but birthdays remind me of age. For the last several years I would compare year to year, and see how nothing has really changed except my age.

I have to say though... I would be anything to have my 27th Birthday again. I had one of the most depressing moments of my life this past December. I turned the big 30 and completely broke down. I actually cried which I rarely do. Something about that number just killed me on the inside. I made all these plans on how I would improve myself after I turned 30. But you know I started gaining momentum in the beginning of the year and then it just died. Now 9 months later, I'm starting up again. I have 3 months before turning 31 and I know it'll be bad if I don't make some meaningful changes.

It feels weird for me to say, but no matter what your issues are causing you to feel alone and isolated, you can get better. You also have more time than a lot of us. It may feel weird having someone only a few years older say this... but you are so young and have so much time. If you don't like your life take the steps you need to change it. Don't be me. Don't turn 30 and wonder why you're in the same spot you were at 27.

Happy Birthday!

Sorry it wasn't a very pleasant day for you. I can understand how it might suck if you don't have anything special to do really. I've had birthdays like that. I remember one where my parents invited relatives over that I don't even talk to. It was really embarrassing.

I hope your next birthday is better.

I understand where you're at, but try not to get too depressed. At 27 you still have some time left to achieve things in life. I'm heading toward the big 4-0, baby....in a bit over two years from now. And it's true what they say: The older you get, the faster time slips through your fingers.

secretlycanadian said:
Well I turned 27 today. I don't think there is a more depressing day for me than my birthday, except maybe new years eve or valentines day. It's days like these that remind me of how alone and isolated I am. I went to my parent's house and had my favorite dinner, much like the way a child celebrates. Co-workers asked me if I have any plans tonight and I had to make something up because the truth is too embarrassing to admit. I appreciate my family trying to do something nice for me but I'd really just rather ignore this day.
Hi - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU :)
Come on.. don't feel so down and it's ok if you had no-one to share it with or if you had no where to go but actually you did..you still have your parents and family and that's much more than some of us have .. so chin up and enjoy being 27!!

well, Happy birthday :)

last year I was abroad with my aunt, at least I had a good excuse to be alone - this year I am at home, and I don't know who to call to celebrate, the only maybe two people who might care to help me celebrate are away, all the others I don't know enough and I feel bad asking them to come out (on a monday)

anyway, yes, you are still 27, try and work on it so that this is the last birthday that you spend alone :) you have time ahead of you.

Peaches said:
well, Happy birthday :)

last year I was abroad with my aunt, at least I had a good excuse to be alone - this year I am at home, and I don't know who to call to celebrate, the only maybe two people who might care to help me celebrate are away, all the others I don't know enough and I feel bad asking them to come out (on a monday)

anyway, yes, you are still 27, try and work on it so that this is the last birthday that you spend alone :) you have time ahead of you.
Hey Peaches - I'm sorry I am going to have to disagree with you - there is no crime in being alone on your birthday at all. If more people could work on enjoying their own company and not having to be submissive to society and the notion that a birthday should and must be celebrated on a high with people around you, they would be much happier in their lives and within themselves.
I'm not saying that you should be alone on your birthday.. I'm just saying that it's ok to be alone on your birthday and still enjoy it. It's just a frame of mind .. :)

Instead of looking at what your birthday ISN'T, try to make it something you enjoy. Make it a day where you go out and treat yourself to something you really want . And, have fun with your family. They love you. They won't be around forever. Enjoy your life NOW.

secretlycanadian said:

You have to make them better. Forget about other people. Take the day off work and do something you enjoy. For the last few years I have done that. I usually buy some books or dvd's, something like that.

Should treat it like it is any other day and not tell anyone. I stopped celebrating my birthday at about 25. Now it just goes without me even noticing.

secretlycanadian said:
Well I turned 27 today. I don't think there is a more depressing day for me than my birthday, except maybe new years eve or valentines day.

New Hells Day, VD, and birthdays are extremely horrible times of the year. Turned 40 this past weekend and at least my parents came down to take me out to eat. That's the only thing that makes birthdays better than those other 2 days.

I'm sorry you're feeling like right now. I sometimes feel the same way about my birthday's but who knows something good might come out of it. =)
Happy Birthday! Hope you have a good one! =)

graphics-happy-birthday-149135.gif

Susana said:
Peaches said:
Hey Peaches - I'm sorry I am going to have to disagree with you - there is no crime in being alone on your birthday at all. If more people could work on enjoying their own company and not having to be submissive to society and the notion that a birthday should and must be celebrated on a high with people around you, they would be much happier in their lives and within themselves.
I'm not saying that you should be alone on your birthday.. I'm just saying that it's ok to be alone on your birthday and still enjoy it. It's just a frame of mind .. :)
I know it's not a crime, god forbid I also had to feel guilty!

I just like to spend it with people and secretly canadian also seems to regret that he has no people around. I think it is worth to fight for what we need, whether that is possible.

blackdot said:
secretlycanadian said:
Well I turned 27 today. I don't think there is a more depressing day for me than my birthday, except maybe new years eve or valentines day.

New Hells Day, VD, and birthdays are extremely horrible times of the year. Turned 40 this past weekend and at least my parents came down to take me out to eat. That's the only thing that makes birthdays better than those other 2 days.

Happy birthday Blackdot

Latest posts

Back