blood pressure

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eviloreo

Reaction score
i know this is a stupid question and usually reserved for either professionals or friends who know what they are talking about but seeing how i have a low number of friends (all of which i know they cant answer) and im the type that does not like to go to the doctor (because there is never anything wrong with me menality) can anyone please explain to me what blood pressure numbers mean?

Ive been working on a workout plan and been getting out old records i kept and now comparing notes to current stuff. My blood pressure is 126/78 with a "BPM" of 54, when i got those measurement the doctor said it was "good"

Just 4 months ago i did another assessment and the doctor there said i was 180/80 and said it was excellent but ive been doing nothing but pretending to be a couch potato (which i did an awesome job let me tell you)

If anyone here is a doctor, nurse, fitness buff, or even if you know what your talking about can you share with me what blood pressure is and why i should care? Mind you 180/80 to me is meaningless : / Im getting kinda tired of looking at wikipedia, getting nothing and shaking my head when the doctor tells me this and that ^^;

eviloreo said:
i know this is a stupid question and usually reserved for either professionals or friends who know what they are talking about but seeing how i have a low number of friends (all of which i know they cant answer) and im the type that does not like to go to the doctor (because there is never anything wrong with me menality) can anyone please explain to me what blood pressure numbers mean?

Ive been working on a workout plan and been getting out old records i kept and now comparing notes to current stuff. My blood pressure is 126/78 with a "BPM" of 54, when i got those measurement the doctor said it was "good"

Just 4 months ago i did another assessment and the doctor there said i was 180/80 and said it was excellent but ive been doing nothing but pretending to be a couch potato (which i did an awesome job let me tell you)

If anyone here is a doctor, nurse, fitness buff, or even if you know what your talking about can you share with me what blood pressure is and why i should care? Mind you 180/80 to me is meaningless : / Im getting kinda tired of looking at wikipedia, getting nothing and shaking my head when the doctor tells me this and that ^^;

well the blood pressure is pretty healthy(126/78 one) but 18O/80 is very high and NOT good , 180 is the pressure that blood exerts to your vein wall when the heart pumps the blood out , the 80 one i forgot what it is but i think its the pressure of blood in vein when the blood is sucked into the heart.I just know that 180/80 is very high cuz i used to take my dad's blood pressure all the time (he is a doc) so i know about it , i bet you salt take in is high?

If your first number was 180 you should be very close to dead. get a new doctor. 80 on the bottom isnt too bad tho.

A heathly reading is 120/60.

Im sure you can google blood pressure and itl show what it all means.

well then good your not dying hooray

i just need to go do somethin...

* hello dimnesdale funeral homes, i'm afraid we're going to have to cancel the service on tuesday, thats right, and the casket, and the band, and ooo you know what how about i'll just drop by and take the fruit punch and alcoholic beverages, okay thanks bye*

lololool I'm kidding we love you eviloreo, speaking of which i'd love an oreo right about now.

i just couldn't resist, when i typed in well thats good your not dying, the whole joke just came into my head. i just had to

XD

martini anyone?

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

XD

okay and just just a reminder, if i ever croak you guys gotta get amy lee to sing my immortal at the funeral (if i can't meet her in this life then i shall recieve an autograph and a hug *sighs* in the next) or i will haunt you and whenever you think of me ( or don't think of me, how could you!)
the song will erriely begin playing out of the middle of nowhere

MUHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAA

XD

wow i am really talkative when i'm avoiding homework

tehe sorry :)

Whenever i play a game which you have to create a character i usually play female characters, only because most of the cool looking male characters are strangely effeminate : /

My last game was World of Warcraft and i played a rare kinda character - female gnome warrior

View attachment 3

Name has stuck with me every since XD

Attachments

• Eviloreo.JPG
    Eviloreo.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 4
The Systolic number, at 130 is considered pre-hypertensive by a large number of doctors. Actually, the numbers are 121-139 to be exact. (140+ is considered hypertensive.) The Systolic number is the maximum pressure exerted when the heart contracts.
Your BPM should be 60 - 100 beats for a healthy adult. So, 60 is in line with being a couch potato. However, 54 seems just a bit low, even for a couch potato at rest. :p
Might be worth checking into, maybe getting a second opinion. Good luck dude.

Yes while it sounds much better then the 180...

33culgm.jpg

2z6ax7c.jpg

100 heart beats per min. at rest seems unhealthy for an adult i think. I mean... nearly 2 beat a sec seems rough on your heart. I have a feeling a slower heart beat at rest = healtheir person. I dunno i could be completely wrong, then again i have been on the couch potatoe reinactment role for a while : /

And well at least im blood pressure is normal if i compare to minus's chart

as for salt intake yea its high, i add salt or soy sauce to everything i eat whenever possible. Soy sauce on rice, salt on salted peanuts (yep you heard me) even salt on my buttered popcorn :D i love it :D even if it kills me :D

and thanks for all those who posted

eviloreo said:
100 heart beats per min. at rest seems unhealthy for an adult i think. I mean... nearly 2 beat a sec seems rough on your heart. I have a feeling a slower heart beat at rest = healtheir person. I dunno i could be completely wrong, then again i have been on the couch potatoe reinactment role for a while : /

And well at least im blood pressure is normal if i compare to minus's chart

as for salt intake yea its high, i add salt or soy sauce to everything i eat whenever possible. Soy sauce on rice, salt on salted peanuts (yep you heard me) even salt on my buttered popcorn :D i love it :D even if it kills me :D

and thanks for all those who posted

Yeah well, I agree that 100 BPM is high, but maybe not for VERY active people. ANd yeah, the salt is probably what's making yours a bit high.
And as for the bad food, well...
lmao, the best tasting food is always the worst for us! :D

eviloreo said:

Hi oreo,
I'm an EMT (ambulance worker) so I'm not really a 'medical professional', but we are taught to take blood pressure, how to read it, and what it means.

Blood pressure is read in two parts: Systolic pressure, and Diastolic pressure, in that order. The number is 'millimeters of mercury'; think of a thermometer.

Systolic pressure is the pressure exerted on your veins when your heart is contracted, or pumping. Diastolic is the pressure 'at rest', when the heart relaxes to take in more blood to pump.

If you've just been sitting, this increased pressure could be from increased stress/tension/anxiety, from a poor diet, or a medical condition. But I can't diagnose or say for sure, those are just some the possibilities. 180 systolic seems very odd to me, but for some people 180 is normal. That condition is referred to a lot as 'hypertension', the opposite -constantly low blood pressure- is hypotension. Last I checked my buddy he runs 160-170; I run 145-160....but for a young male, 180 is getting 'up there'. 190+ systolic I consider to be very unusual depending on the circumstances and would consider it definite cause to talk to my patient and figure out their history, habits, and conditions. I would suggest an opinion from a second doctor, given the increase, and mention it to him.

'BPM' is beats per minute; your pulse rate. 54 is fine...actually it's a little on the low side. From the EMT course book, a normal 'at rest' pulse rate for adults is 60 to 100. Below 60 is considered 'bradycardia', or slow pulse; above 100 is 'tachycardia', or fast pulse. But really, given what you've said about your recent couch potato habits, slow is to be expected. ;) Active athletes can easily have an at-rest pulse of 80 or so; because they're active on a regular basis, the body adapts a new 'baseline' to be ready.

When a doctor takes your blood pressure, and he has his stethoscope, he's actually listening to your blood flow. When he releases cuff pressure and starts hearing a beating sound, he takes that number for the Systolic pressure. When the beating sound changes to be real low or disappears, he counts the number on the gauge as the diastolic.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Brian said:
eviloreo said:

Hi oreo,
I'm an EMT (ambulance worker) so I'm not really a 'medical professional', but we are taught to take blood pressure, how to read it, and what it means.

Blood pressure is read in two parts: Systolic pressure, and Diastolic pressure, in that order. The number is 'millimeters of mercury'; think of a thermometer.

Systolic pressure is the pressure exerted on your veins when your heart is contracted, or pumping. Diastolic is the pressure 'at rest', when the heart relaxes to take in more blood to pump.

If you've just been sitting, this increased pressure could be from increased stress/tension/anxiety, from a poor diet, or a medical condition. But I can't diagnose or say for sure, those are just some the possibilities. 180 systolic seems very odd to me, but for some people 180 is normal. Last I checked my buddy he runs 160-170; I run 145-160....but for a young male, it is getting 'up there'. 190+ systolic I consider to be unusual depending on the circumstances and would consider it definite cause to talk to my patient and figure out their history, habits, and conditions. I would suggest an opinion from a second doctor, given the increase, and mention it to him.

'BPM' is beats per minute; your pulse rate. 54 is fine...actually it's a little on the low side. From the EMT course book, a normal 'at rest' pulse rate for adults is 60 to 100. Below 60 is considered 'bradycardia', or slow pulse; above 100 is 'tachycardia', or fast pulse. But really, given what you've said about your recent couch potato habits, slow is to be expected. ;) Active athletes can easily have an at-rest pulse of 80 or so; because they're active on a regular basis, the body adapts a new 'baseline' to be ready.

When a doctor takes your blood pressure, and he has his stethoscope, he's actually listening to your blood flow. When he releases cuff pressure and starts hearing a beating sound, he takes that number for the Systolic pressure. When the beating sound changes to be real low or disappears, he counts the number on the gauge as the diastolic.

Hope this helps,
Brian

I got some old physical assessments ive been digging up and the one which i was the most fit in was was blood presure 126/ 78 BPM 42 (or 43, bad hand writing by the guy who did it) @ 159 lbs, back then i was going 10k runs a day (just two XC running courses non stop) and i was "as healthy as a horse" (whatever that means)

I dont smoke or drink or did anything bad then and if my BPM was in the 40's and your saying fit altheles are suppose to be at the 80's is there something wrong with me?

I do consume massive amount of caffeine on a daily basis, so i guess thats a drug, i have to have at least one cup or i get headaches, does that factor into anything?

oh yea the 54 BPM assessment was taken when i was unable to complete a 5k run without resorting to a walk at least once

Again, I can't diagnose, but I'm gonna go ahead and say the caffeine intake is your blood pressure problem ;) I got to a point where I got headaches without a cup and a half a day. I recommend decreasing your intake, maybe eliminating it, and checking your blood pressure again after a couple weeks of that. But I'd say that's probably the issue. You will get your headaches for a little while, but just deal with 'em and they'll go away (mine did after about a week if I recall). Caffeine dependency can get scary.

As for heart rate, it really depends on the person and varies greatly. Body size/weight, diet, habits...it all plays a role (beyond my scope of knowledge really), and even then you see variations in heart rate patterns.

I'm 6', about 165 lb, -very- active on a day to day basis since I do brush clearing/logging work. But if I recall from my class (we 'signed in' to class by taking eachothers vital signs, lol), my at rest heart rate was never above 60, ever.

But, the 'general rule' is 60-100, higher for athletes.

By the way, if you want it checked for free, call your local EMS or fire agency. See if they have anyone needing practice...I know in my EMT class, we were thrilled to have different people come in for us to practice assessments and vital signs. They'll either say 'sure come on in' or think you're an idiot, but if it's the latter they'll be polite at least ;) It's worth asking to save the doctor visit for something simple like this.

We also enjoyed strapping eachother to backboards and spinning them around like they're on a rotisserie. Or shaking them upside down. But we reserved that for people actually -in- the class, so I wouldn't worry about that :p

Latest posts

Back