Body Dysmorphic Disorder

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iceman1978 said:
Now, OCD on the other hand, yeah..I think I've got a bit of that. Then again, some people would refer to it as being neat and organized.

LOL....yeah....Im "neat and organized" also. The fact that I MUST verify, at least twice, that all my doors are locked before I go to bed. :p

EveWasFramed said:
Iceman1978 said:
My doctor doesn't want to put BDD into my medical records since she says it could have an effect on me being able to get better insurance rates in the future.

You need a new doctor.
That's like saying he doesn't want to put "depression" or "ADHD" into your medical records. Unethical. HIGHLY unethical. If he thinks you have it, he should have sent you to a qualified mental health professional - not tried to hide something from your future insurance company.
Am I the only one thinks his doc is a nutter?? o_O

You're not the only one.

It's akin to not wanting to put down that you're diabetic, because it's a pre-existing condition.

I'm with Parabellum.
I see myself in mirrors as a lot smaller than I am. This has nothing to do with peers , it's just my screwed up skull. Now seeing that everyone hears about the opposite (anorexia nervosa) they think what I go through isn't that same. Must be some recessive Viking gene as I've always associated it with the Riddle of Steel.

StarvingZombie said:
I'm with Parabellum.
I see myself in mirrors as a lot smaller than I am. This has nothing to do with peers , it's just my screwed up skull. Now seeing that everyone hears about the opposite (anorexia nervosa) they think what I go through isn't that same. Must be some recessive Viking gene as I've always associated it with the Riddle of Steel.

:eek: Viking zombie! lol

I mind as well be suffering from this. "Everyone" else sees it, I don't. I hate my picture being taken, to a point I get aggressive with my words. Someone tells me how "beautiful" I am, it feels more awkward than anything else.

From 11-16, I didn't look in mirrors. I couldn't. Then all was well for about a year, until I hit a rough patch for income, and was close to 120 pounds (I am just under 6 feet tall, and with my build I should be about 145 pounds comfortably).

I just HATED what I saw, and felt more helpless because I could not do anything. Even the food bank looked at me and said I was "allowed" this one time to receive their help but being a "single young woman" I would be "fine".

But of course even that wasn't bad. When I was able to gain weight again, because I was so used to what I was for 6-8 months that... I hated my appearance more-so.

Now I am pregnant, and the supposed "pregnancy makes you feel beautiful" bullshit doesn't actually exist (for me anyways) and I refuse to look in the mirror, again.

Do people react to you like you are ugly? That, I guess, would be the best way to tell if it is BDD or just depression over a reality. Either way, even if you are unattractive, the fact that its ambiguous to you means it isn't that bad. Take it from someone legitimately disfigured, it could be worse. Run of the mill ugly still leaves you with a lot of options.

I've been bullied for 15 years for my looks, so I don't know if I have it. People on the internet say I am not ugly, but most people offline, including my mother and sister tell me I am ugly. They tell me I look more like a guy than a woman.

Such a hard thing to live with. You can't run away from yourself. I never thought of this for myself just figured I have been realistic about my appearance. Would be nice to think it was BDD instead lol. NOT convinced myself.

I wonder if I have it. Several people have told me I am attractive but I think that I am repulsive.

Peaches said:
just a moment ago I came across this terrible movie, I haven't been able to go past the first ten minutes, because that was so close to how I often felt many years ago

http://documentaryheaven.com/too-ugly-for-love/

I saw it a few years ago. It's very sad.

I am nothing like those poor people. While I don't particular like my looks, I never obsess about them.

Having body dysmorphia isn't just about thinking your unattractive when your not! It's about seeing yourself in a way that isn't factual! Anyways, I suffer from this disorder, not severely as I did years ago but I still have bouts of it.

Triple Bogey said:
Peaches said:
just a moment ago I came across this terrible movie, I haven't been able to go past the first ten minutes, because that was so close to how I often felt many years ago

http://documentaryheaven.com/too-ugly-for-love/

I saw it a few years ago. It's very sad.

I am nothing like those poor people. While I don't particular like my looks, I never obsess about them.

I used to be like that for several years, the ironic thing is during those years there went my "aesthetic peak", never to come again - it's like I went crazy for some years, very strange to look back at it

Latest posts

Back