Book Recamendations

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

evanescencefan91

oh books the lonely's love

i think we have a what are you reading thread or something somewhere

but we all have read brilliant books that we just gotta let other people know about and well

today working at my lovely little temp job at the bookstore, i gave in, and decided to buy a book and then another and another

I had a bit of a nerdgasm / bookgasm

books <3

i actually bought four

and mainly i wanted a thread where we could talk about not only awesome books, but books that kinda have to deal with lonelieness and what not

a lonely book I'd recammend of course my favorite classic Frankenstein, because i think a lot of us could emphasize with the emotional pangs felt by frankenstein's monster

also it's a great portray of the self fullfilling prophecy or Behavioural confirmation;
Behavioural confirmation is a type of self-fulfilling prophecy whereby people's social expectations (based more on social beliefs than personal expectation) lead them to act in ways that cause others to confirm the expectation.

which i though was so cool once i read it again after i had taken socail psyche

see he wasn't homicidal in the beginning, but everyone was hurting him and being mean to him because they thought he was amurderous beast, and he was like fresia you, you guys suck *strangles angry mobsters*

and so he became the murderous beast we know and love today

I also enjoy joking about how beauty and the beast is the first documented case of Stockholm syndrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

you know becuase he actually locked bell in the castle and held her hostage, and she fell in love with him

classic psychology

**** i would make a good psychologist

**** grad school requirement

i diagnosed sherlock holmes with asperger's and Sheldon too from the big bang theory, but i mean come on that one's obvious

oh and i found this book and i've yet to finish it

http://www.amazon.com/This-Your-Brain-Music-Obsession/dp/0525949690

this is your brain on music

all about the ingrediants of music and how it affects us our brains and our feelings
i know there are a lof of music fans and makers here you guys should check this book out

and then this book nI've kinda been raving about

http://www.generationme.org/

it's really good and it's got some great insights as to why many of us are lonely in this day and age

according to statistics people are four times lonelier than we were fifty years ago

because of marrying at a later age we spend more time living alone than ever before,

and accessibility or necessity to move to new cities so often for jobs or college,

it is harder to keep friends

also the whole being independent, thing and such

lesser close knit communities not knowing or talking to neighborers as much as we use to adds to it,

there's a whole chapter about loneliness and depression in today's youth,

and it really helps to understanding some of the social conditions and such

and then there's mine I've already posted here, people are apples and supply and demand hypothesis, I'm fairly certain it's correct, although I'm at a complete loss as to how I'm to go about testing it, other than getting two volunteers, well actually I'm going to need several volenter's to do the test multiple times with random sampling to rid of any variance or external variables (memories from ap stats) to go out into the Alaskan wilderness and then compile a survey as to their feelings toward the other that they would need to fill out each week so i can see if their's a trend in the growing closeness between them, and need to put in weather conditions and such

i figure there will be some hate due so to being stranded in the middle of nowhere and frustrations about lack of rations and extreme wintery conditions,

but if i follow up on them after their return to civilzation I expect to see a rise in brotheryness and closeness towards each other

..ya that was a little irrelivent, shame my parents won't pay for grad school if i became a shrink or something and if I had the funding to put together a test for this, i think it would make a miraculous breakthough,

I'd be famous, well at least famous as in I'd be in a textbook :p

can't get much more famous than that

so ya post any cool or lonely boooks you think we should know about

and be sure to check out the one's I've mention especially that genme book

:)

oh and I just finished I don't want to be crazy about a girl with severe anxiety disorder, a great for anyone with anxiety disorder's or even if you don't is a good easy read, all written in poems

an excerpt
don't understand what's happening.
I am sitting in Writing Seminar
and it feels like my hands are shaking,
like I've got a tremor.
I try hard to focus, stare at my hands,
but I can't tell whether or not they're shaking.
I don't understand why I can't tell.
I should be able to tell
if my own hands are shaking.
My eyesight can't be trusted.
I'd try sitting on my hands,
but that would make people stare,
if they haven't already noticed the shaking.
I try clasping my hands together,
but that's no good, either.
I can see myself with my hands together,
banging them up and down on the desk
like a piston, like a cartoon sledgehammer.
I see myself doing it,
but I know I'm not.
I can't be.
If I were, people would be staring.

http://www.thisispush.com/read/excerpt_schutz_idont.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Want-Be-Crazy-Push/dp/043980518X

my eccentric Aunt also gave me the book aftermath about the process of cleaning up after crime scenes all the blood and bodily fluids

http://www.amazon.com/Aftermath-Inc-Cleaning-After-Goes/dp/1592402968

a good read for gore fans, lots of gore

anyways ya i apologise for a lot of the random mublings here

I'm just really excited about books

I'm not getting paid by the publishers or anything to advertise you guys

i just thought a lot of those books would be a good read for some of you guys here
and I'd also like to hear as to what books you'd recamend I read

I was thinking about writing a poem about my love of books while i was in the laundry

how so i always feel like writting when there is nothing around to write with

a pitiful wannabe witter mistake not have witting materials with me at all time

well I hope you guys enjoyed this lengthy

and post some thoughts of your own

thanks

:D

I like the smell of old bookstores.

I also like the smell of a new book. If you're lucky, some day you may run into me in a bookstore, rifling through a book, my nose stuck between the pages, inhaling the wonderous scent of a world yet to be explored.

And high-grade commercial ink.

----Steve

i don't just love the smell of books but the feel of a new one, the soft texture of the pages all put together, i just rub my fingers along the soft, crisp virgin white pages.............................ohhh

wow i need a gf

(NOTE: If you are sensitive about books surrounding religion, atheism and evolution, then please skip this post!).

If I had to recommend a current book, it would be: "The Greatest Show on Earth", by Richard Dawkins (one of my heroes). However, it is really only for people interested in a discussion of the facts for evolution through natural selection. Its like a non-work related side hobby of mine so I enjoy every page. :D

Unlike his previous book "The God Delusion", this one focuses on consolidating and reviewing all of the evidence for evolution. Where as the former was more aimed at providing rational / logical information about the dangers of faith, and the discussion of how it works to corrode science, rather than co-exist with it, etc.

Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens also have some very interesting books on this topic, but I don't want to go too in depth.

I'm also obsessed with history books (Roman, Greek based mostly), but I'm going to stop now. :p

evanescencefan91 said:
i don't just love the smell of books but the feel of a new one, the soft texture of the pages all put together, i just rub my fingers along the soft, crisp virgin white pages.............................ohhh
wow i need a gf

Haha I can totally relate to this, only its CDs in my case! Cant beat the smell of a new booklet when you open it up! :D.

Anyway I recentley have a renewed interest in reading only thing is I picked quite a difficult book!
Its a factual book documenting the life of Fritz Kolbe who was a spy for the allies whilst he worked in the Foreign Ministry during the second world war. The thing about him is that he never got the proper recognition he deserved. Most of it is based on his diaries and I think the authour Lucas Delatre does a very good job. Only thing is its quite a big book and a pretty hard read. Very interesting though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Betraying-H...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263739018&sr=1-4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Kolbe

wow, evanescencefan. I haven't been that passionate about books in a long time. I used to love just hanging around the library looking for the oldest book I could find (I think the oldest I came across was a French book printed in the 1870s!) It's great that you're so into reading. Do all that you can to prevent bullshit schoolwork from getting in the way of reading for fun!

As for your picks, the only one I've read is Frankenstein, and I agree it's a good book about loneliness. The monster's got it rough, but don't forget about the doc. In the end he's about as miserable as can be.

There seems to be no shortage of books for the lonely and miserable. My favorite one is Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. Raskolnikov is about the coolest literary loner there is and that book really rocked my world.

Another cool one was The Plague by Albert Camus. Although it's not really a loner book there's one character in there I think would be a big hit on this forum. So this guy tries to kill himself at the begining of the book cuz he knows the cops are looking for him and he's a nervous wreck, but when the town gets put under quarantine and everybody is weary of everybody else out of fear for getting sick, this guy really comes out of his shell. It's something I could relate to kind of. Like when it's really cold or raining outside, then I feel like I can be more comfortable outside too because I know everybody is too preocupied with getting out of the rain/cold to be bothered with me.

The most recent book I read was Watership Down by Richard Adams. It's got nothing to do with lonely people--just bunnies. But it put me in a really good mood whenever I read it. Sad Sack recommended it to me, and now I recommend it to you!

Watership Down is a classic! I love that book.

Try "The White Plague," by Frank Herbert some time. It's about a disturbed scientist who sets up his own private lab (costing about $300,000US) and builds a virus that targets WOMEN...so a team comes together and attempts to make a vaccine.

It's a pretty good read about the dangers of modern science.

----Steve

An archist said:
My favorite one is Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. He's about the coolest literary loner there is and that book really rocked my world.

Agreed ^^

coolo wow i really got to check out some of these

oh ya I've heard of watership down, isn't it kinda sad though at the end?

(NOTE: If you are sensitive about books surrounding religion, atheism and evolution, then please skip this post!).

If I had to recommend a current book, it would be: "The Greatest Show on Earth", by Richard Dawkins (one of my heroes). However, it is really only for people interested in a discussion of the facts for evolution through natural selection. Its like a non-work related side hobby of mine so I enjoy every page.

Unlike his previous book "The God Delusion", this one focuses on consolidating and reviewing all of the evidence for evolution. Where as the former was more aimed at providing rational / logical information about the dangers of faith, and the discussion of how it works to corrode science, rather than co-exist with it, etc.

Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens also have some very interesting books on this topic, but I don't want to go too in depth.

sounds interesting have you ever read God's problem by Bart D Erham

http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Problem-Answer-Important-Question-Why/dp/0061173975

it's really quite good i read it last year

thanks for the recommendations keep them coming guys
:)

Latest posts

Back