Childhood games

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr Seal The Albatros said:
DariusArgent said:
Most games when Nintendo shined back in the 80-90s, back when I had my NES, SNES and Gameboy

Croc was my first PC game and I never get tired of it even if I play it right now.

I remember playing Banjo-Kazooie as my childhood game. Someone I knew had Croc 2. When he showed me it, I thought they were the same game! :p

Hah true, both games are kinda similar.

My favorite childhood games were old school Playstation jRPG's. Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Final Fantasy 1-9, Fire Emblem, etc.

Fest said:
My favorite childhood games were old school Playstation jRPG's. Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Final Fantasy 1-9, Fire Emblem, etc.

The golden age of single-player RPGs, alas.

Tealeaf said:
Fest said:

True. Back then those games had interesting plots, characters and settings.
Nowadays it's all bland and overused.

DariusArgent said:
Tealeaf said:
Fest said:

Oh, there's still good RPGs storywise (Divinity series, for one, most recent from August this year). It's just that they were meant to be played alone or with people physically in your basement with you once upon a time, and were designed accordingly to maximize single-player comfort and pleasure. These days it's all about multiplayer and the social or competitive aspects, and complex RPGs that are solo or can be played solo without any significant changes have been falling by the wayside for some time now.

They crop up here and there (like Bastion), but the priority seems to be a combination of your garden variety addictive MMO (WoW, LoL, etc) and open-world action-RPGs. I diverged from JRPGs when Final Fantasy started going the online route, so I don't really know what's become of them. I did the same for Warcraft when it became WoW, and didn't try WoW until a couple years ago. RTS has fallen out of style, too, but I know there are many, many smaller titles released.

I also hate the Skyrim effect, which is that there are fewer games in the style of Baldur's Gate and more in the style of Skyrim. There's more emphasis on the kind of immersion that wishes it was virtual reality, open worlds, and action-RPGs. I've just uncovered two titles I want made in the early 2000's, but for the foreseeable future unless Original Sin inspires more of its kind the well has run dry.

There's certainly a lot less to be had in developing single-player RPG or D&D-esque games, though. There's just so much competition out there, and creative minds aren't any more common than when video games were brand-new. And why would Blizzard gamble on a Warcraft IV when WoW is still making them money? As far as competitive strategy games go, LoL and Starcraft II pretty much have it covered last I checked.

Tealeaf said:
Oh, there's still good RPGs storywise (Divinity series, for one, most recent from August this year). It's just that they were meant to be played alone or with people physically in your basement with you once upon a time, and were designed accordingly to maximize single-player comfort and pleasure. These days it's all about multiplayer and the social or competitive aspects, and complex RPGs that are solo or can be played solo without any significant changes have been falling by the wayside for some time now.

Let's not mention the gameplay aspects. RPGs back then were pretty hard and nowadays they are easy as pie. Must be because gaming became more mainstream nowadays.

Tealeaf said:
They crop up here and there (like Bastion), but the priority seems to be a combination of your garden variety addictive MMO (WoW, LoL, etc) and open-world action-RPGs. I diverged from JRPGs when Final Fantasy started going the online route, so I don't really know what's become of them. I did the same for Warcraft when it became WoW, and didn't try WoW until a couple years ago. RTS has fallen out of style, too, but I know there are many, many smaller titles released.

I wouldn't consider Bastion much of an RPG. Yes it has RPG elements but it's more action-y game than RPG. Final Fantasy still goes on (heard that the XIII series weren't much good, but XV seems promising from the shown trailers so far). And RTS, oh god. 10 years ago they flourished, now considering developing one is a myth.

Tealeaf said:
I also hate the Skyrim effect, which is that there are fewer games in the style of Baldur's Gate and more in the style of Skyrim. There's more emphasis on the kind of immersion that wishes it was virtual reality, open worlds, and action-RPGs. I've just uncovered two titles I want made in the early 2000's, but for the foreseeable future unless Original Sin inspires more of its kind the well has run dry.

Skyrim effect happened because the game had cliche storyline (dragons doing bad things, wow) and it was much easier than previous TES games, hence the huge popularity. For isometric styled RPGs check out Shadowrun Returns, it has a feeling of Arcanum. Also Pillars of Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera should be out anytime soon.

Tealeaf said:
There's certainly a lot less to be had in developing single-player RPG or D&D-esque games, though. There's just so much competition out there, and creative minds aren't any more common than when video games were brand-new. And why would Blizzard gamble on a Warcraft IV when WoW is still making them money? As far as competitive strategy games go, LoL and Starcraft II pretty much have it covered last I checked.

Problem is that with the emergence of DotA, Warcraft 3 lost it's meaning. If Warcraft 4 would be made, people would make DotA clones on it and the RTS element would be lost. Starcraft II lives because it is a popular franchise but most of the playerbase is Korean.

Also forgot to mention, check out Legend of Grimrock and it's sequel. They are very good and have gameplay like Eye of the Beholder.

Tealeaf said:
DariusArgent said:
Tealeaf said:
Fest said:

I feel like there is an echo in my head. I pretty much constantly find myself wishing that I could just get lost one last time inside a game's world/story/characters/whatever. I don't think I've really been swept away in years now and I don't really see that changing, there just aren't as many games capable of it. There are certainly enjoyable games and even some that threaten to drag me in but none that have successfully done so. I actually started playing Divinity: Original Sin after reading this post (Been sitting in my Steam library for literally months) and have had a pretty great time with it so far. Granted, most of my time has been spent invisibly stealing every painting I can find for sweet, sweet money. -insert evil grin-

When I look at games like Skyrim I can't put a face to the game, just some generic viking dude who has a shouting problem. I think crafting your own character can be awesome and all but it isn't a placeholder for solid character development and should never be used as one. If I think of Chrono Cross I can call literally dozens of faces up of characters that were interesting and awesome; Kid, Serge, Lynx, Glenn, Starky, you get the picture! I think of Shadow Hearts and remember Yuri and Alice griping at each other for the first quarter of the game before growing closer and falling in love. Legend of Dragoon makes me think of Dart and Lavitz rushing into Hellena Prison to rescue Shana, it was daring and exciting (and kinda stupid). Older games just had a tendency to worm their way into your heart and stay there while newer ones were just happy to dangle some shiny objects in front of you and pocket your money.

I've spent hundreds of hours in some games and had fun the whole way through even if they were fairly linear. I bought Shadows of Mordor and was done after about 15(?) despite having an open world(?) and polished up visuals/gameplay. The industry seems content to reproduce old content dressed up in a new suit and even I end up throwing money at things I really shouldn't. Video games make me so rant-y.

Fest said:
Legend of Dragoon makes me think of Dart and Lavitz rushing into Hellena Prison to rescue Shana, it was daring and exciting (and kinda stupid).

Dear god, LoD was underrated but an amazing game. I have to replay that sometime.

DariusArgent said:
Fest said:
Legend of Dragoon makes me think of Dart and Lavitz rushing into Hellena Prison to rescue Shana, it was daring and exciting (and kinda stupid).

Dear god, LoD was underrated but an amazing game. I have to replay that sometime.

It totally holds up! :p

Your not old Arachne,your uniquely classic!

Asteroids,space invaders,pac-man. One arm bandits. Pin ball. Bar skittles.

Atari 2600 - Kaboom (with the paddles), Star Wars
Commodore 64 - Faery Tale Adventure, Dungeon Master
Sega Genesis - Sonic the Hedgehog, Gauntlet

Man, some fond memories! (And the realization that I've gamed for just about my entire life - and still gaming!) :p

I remember walking to pizza hut to play super mario on an arcade machine. We had (still have) an atari 2600 with a lot of games, I liked river raid and indiana jones (I think). I believe I even have the ET game.

Commodore 64: Rainbow Islands, Bubble Bubble, Operation Hormuz, Commando, Miami Vice
Amiga 600: North & South, Leisure Suit Larry, Ports of Call
Amiga CD32: Oscar, Diggers.
PC: Red Alert, Sim City, Close Combat, NetStorm: Islands At War, GTA 1, Theme Park, Settlers II, Populous: The Beginning and many others.

Aww, the memories <3 Gosh, I don't even remember some titles. So here we go, I spend an hour for useless research...

PC: Neverhood, Stargun, Elasto Mania, Teenagent, Alladin, Moto, Supaplex, Happy Adventures, Icy Tower, Midtown madness, Lotus, Mortal Combat 3, The Sims 1, Frogger 2, Crock, Ufos, Blues Brothers, Pink Panther, Ugh!, Deluxe Ski Jump, Lion king, Earthworm Jim, The Incredible Machine, Creatures, Mahjongg...

Nintendo: Super Mario Bros, Arkanoid, Ice climber, Contra, Duck hunt, Chip 'N Dale: Rescue Rangers, Tetris, Pac man, Galaxia, Galaga, China Rabbit Baby, Donkey Kong, Mario Bros, Lode runner, Mappy, Popeye, Balloon Fight, Battle city...

And tamagotchi! :D

Ok, enough.

Latest posts

Back