Clutter and Depression

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toby said:
Anyone seen that show Hoarders? I've only watched an episode or two but it makes me sad to see how sad they look. It really does seem like a burden having all of that junk around and it's taken a tole on their life. Hopefully they're able to be happier without it. :)

That show always motivates me to clean and gives me the heebies.

So I take it, my ex-roommate who literally swam in his pile of garbage and a roach colony IN THE PILE JUST NEXT TO HIS BED PILLOW.. I take it he must have been depressed?

perfanoff said:
So I take it, my ex-roommate who literally swam in his pile of garbage and a roach colony IN THE PILE JUST NEXT TO HIS BED PILLOW.. I take it he must have been depressed?

He might have been...

I know my room gets messier when I take a mood-dive. No energy to do anything...

I find cleaning out clutter and organizing things makes me feel better, gives a feel of accomplishment.

perfanoff said:

Maybe not valid for everyone. Maybe there is a small percentage of those seriously lazy people who just can't be bothered and isn't bothered my clutter and mess.

Yes I believe having a nice clean area makes for a happier mood. Maybe it's a sense of accomplishment and the small bit of exercise you get with it also.

My son's a hoarder, empty bags everywhere. When I lived with him I found it most frustrating. I even tried to clean the mess but he'd get mad. I kept my room clean, a little sanity. Now I had my own place and its clean, but am still wildly depressed. Doesnt take much to keep the place clean either. I still miss my son. Think I'd put up with the hoarding.

SophiaGrace said:
perfanoff said:

He might have been...

I know my room gets messier when I take a mood-dive. No energy to do anything...

Let alone probably also allergic to cockroach pheromones or something.
I should have called a cleaning maid and foot him the bill instead of the constant bickering and hope he'll actually get up and throw half his filth out.

Whilst I think a tidy home may help you to feel a bit better, I don't think an untidy home will necessarily make you feel depressed, or say anything about you. After all, we're not all rich or blessed. I simply cannot afford to make my home the way I'd like it. I can only work with what I have available to me. Knowing this, if it means my home is slightly messy or dirty at times, I don't care.

Latest posts

Back