Confessions of a dangerous mind......

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Good Citizen said:
I think to be honest the sex ring in question was a group of men that happened to be Islamic. They weren't committing these acts in the name of Islam, religion played no part in it. If the sex ring happened to be white British men, the Daily Mail wouldn't have said "Christian Gang Jailed...". The Daily Mail is notoriously right wing anyway, it loves Princess Diana, it hates immigrants.

Cruelty, violence, sex crimes... these are universal traits of humanity witnessed in any society, in any corner of the world. I am aware that I live in a society that is more open, tolerant, permissive and economically richer than in many other areas of the world but I am not so naive to believe that those freedoms were obtained historically through any means other than conquest and taking from others.

"Centuries old standards of chivalry?" "freedoms and dignity?" 50 years ago a black person couldn't sit next to a white person on a bus... but how quickly that is forgotten.

Western culture was not founded on chivalry, it was founded on imperialist conquest and taking what didn't belong to it, often in the name of religion. Its from that lofty position where it can now enjoy its spoils of war and judge other nations as uncivilised...once it has what it needs. Humans are humans and how ever they manifest themselves, greed and self interest will prevail in one form or another, its a human characteristic and not any more prevalent in black, white Christian or Muslim its about protecting your own self interest and always has been.

that's one outlook

we also don't bury our daughters in snowbanks

or LAWFULLY beat and rape our wiveS

i'd rather live in a place that fifty years ago didn't let black people sit in the front of the bus than a place that currently burns down churches and stones people to death

but to each his own

You prefer your state executions a little more organised, a good old fashioned electrocution perhaps? Far more chivalrous.

In China recently a child was stamped to death in the street people walked past and did nothing, in America a kid picked a gun and shot a load of people watching batman. In Norway Brevik killed 70 odd innocent white kids in a protest against Islamification, a 6 year old girl was abducted and probably murdered last week in Wales. 70 years ago western society was engaged in the war to end all wars as a western society decided genocide of Jewish people was the way to resolve its financial problems. Atrocities all of them, not a Muslim in sight.

My point is sickening violence is prevailent under any society, it's inate in humans regardless of race and we are all just as capable of demonstrating it. It's how our free rich societies were built, slavery and conquest. The least we can do is remember that when enjoying the privileges we do. Islam is undergoing its own transitions and maybe not as far down the road as us, but the Arab spring showed the world Muslims do not wish to tolerate oppression and want their own version of freedom just as much as the rest of us. At present Islam and government go hand in hand and religion and politics have always been very dangerous bed fellows Christianity will attest to that.

So don't worry, the world will become more moderate over time, America is not heading toward becoming an Islamist state in our lifetime. ;)

Painstakingly typed on my phone so please excuse any typos!

i haven't typed the word muslim or islam anywhere in this thread. (until now)

i posted a picture of afghani women.

YOU made that association.

:)

yes, in america, we kill people who murder and rape children.

in some other places, they kill for "dishonoring" their fathers and brothers.

You posted a picture of a group of Muslim Women wearing full religious dress, the association was obvious. If you want to step away from your point that's fine by me too.

I don't in any way respect the human rights violations associated with fundamentalist Islamic law, I baulked more at your suggestion that western civilisation had some sort of noble foundation based on centuries of chivalrous behaviour. The west can be despicable too when it suits.

The Good Citizen said:
You posted a picture of a group of Muslim Women wearing full religious dress, the association was obvious. If you want to step away from your point that's fine by me too.

I don't in any way respect the human rights violations associated with fundamentalist Islamic law, I baulked more at your suggestion that western civilisation had some sort of noble foundation based on centuries of chivalrous behaviour. The west can be despicable too when it suits.

baulk away.

america, canada, australia, and much of europe (the westernized countries) DO have deeply entrenched behaviors toward women directly traceable to the teachings of chivalry.

charity - one of the key tenets of chivalry. america is the most charitable nation in the history of the planet.

"never hit a woman, ever" is taught to almost every boy raised in this country. not sure if they teach that in iran or not.

we have laws on the books to this day that make it punishable to "swear" or "spit" in front of women and children.

now, i never said that the west was perfect. it is you who wants to bend the conversation that way. but - and unfortunately for you - there is truth in what i am saying.

To be clear here I am not comparing like for like in the present day in terms of standards of human rights. I do not believe human violations in Iran are on a par with western (by which I include Europe, this isn't a slight against America) civilisation's standards.

I agree the west is some way further down the road in terms of being a tolerant society than Iran (as the example you have chosen) and to argue otherwise would be stupid. My argument is simply that the road to get there has not been a smooth one and it was a road that we still had to take, we were not just born civilised, the noble savage with an inborn sense of what was right and what was wrong.

So "never hit a woman, ever...unless she is your slave then do onto her as you will" would probably be a more exact message. "Property is 9/10's of the law" would be another common phrase or "every Englishman's home is his castle" would be another. Again to pan them out further, property is 9/10ths of the law unless on foreign soils then it is fair spoils in the name of expansion of empire. Look at how Europe expanded out even into late 19th Century colonising much of the world typically with an earnest sense that we were doing God's will and it was just to colonise (read butcher) the native heathen savages. The American economy, its sugar cotton, tobacco trades were built on the fruits of slave labour and what rights could a pretty slave girl expect from her master, chivalry? Hardly. With the abolition of slavery, it took a civil rights movement to recognise the rights of black people after decades of violence and oppression which we all know about and who was leading that violence and oppression? Extremist christian sects such as the KKK always with that earnest sense of it being religious and right.

Look I'm an atheist, I have no interest in a religious calling, I'm capable of setting my own standards and then trying to meet them. I want to see us leave religion behind as obsolete and achieve something more spectacular as a race beyond petty belief systems but it will take some time yet before we get there. I understand you consider yourself Christian (I think from other posts) and generally I tend to agree with a lot of what you say, it just never fails to suprise me how often it seems to be the non-believers of the world preaching a little tolerance and perspective to the believers. I can condemn what I see in Iran but only once I see they are committing the same violations that we have done for years to reach our lofty position of 'leaders of the free world' to which we still have some way to go and Iran, certainly, has a much longer way to go too. I just ask you perhaps acknowledge the same, then perhaps I can agree with you. If not we’ll agree to disagree and apologise for hijacking this thread about ex's. ;).

Oh and on the subject of being the most charitable nations... we are rich economies, we are always going to be near the top in absolute terms. Sadly, in terms of giving what we can afford...we are both a little lacking... (*this may have changed since April 2010*)...

According to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, the countries giving the highest amounts of money (in absolute terms) are as follows:[1]

1. United States – $28.67 billion
4. United Kingdom – $11.50 billion

As a percentage of GNP..

Official Development Assistance by country as a percentage of Gross National Income in 2009 (April 2010)To provide an alternative perspective, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development also lists countries by the amount of money they give as a percentage of their gross national income. The list includes international giving through official channels that qualify as Official Development Assistance, and national charitable giving. This list is as follows:[1]

1. Sweden – 1.12%
2. Norway – 1.06%
3. Luxembourg – 1.04%
4. Denmark – 0.88%
9. United Kingdom – 0.52%
19. United States – 0.21%

"Chivalry, or the chivalric code, is the traditional code of conduct associated with the medieval institution of knighthood"....

"These concepts of "religious chivalry" were further elaborated in the era of the Crusades, with the Crusades themselves often being seen as a chivalrous enterprise."

"The term "crusade" is also used to describe religiously motivated campaigns conducted between 1100 and 1600 in territories outside the Levant[a] usually against pagans, heretics, and peoples under the ban of excommunication for a mixture of religious, economic, and political reasons"

Chivalry indeed...

Thats it I'm done!

Well that sort of escapes my only point about the amount of bloodshed that it took the western world to obtain its freedoms but..

Shot in the head for her beliefs or stabbed in the chest for her mobile phone/drugs score etc. You pick your poison.. Religious extremism, drugs, placing a mobile phone over a human life. Bad honeysuckle happens everywhere, all the time, every minute, it just manifests itself in different ways.

Ever think its odd how so many humanitarian crimes are reported from the middle east in the world media? Why not Africa? children dragged into warfare and trafficked all the time, hardly raises a sentence in the press. Why is the press so apathetic?

No oil - no interest
No Islamic extremism, no fear factor, no agenda to force down your throat.. so who gives a honeysuckle really?

Africa is a shining example of Christianity's missionary work in full effect, totally corrupt, messed and out of control so probably best left alone, too many uncomfortable questions to answer and not enough $£€.

Jeez I'm stating to sound like a zealot. I'm done, it was nice chewing the fat with you Trent, I'll let you have the final word if you like ;)

you can't measure the "charity" of the United States in dollars donated alone.

you also have to analyze the countless disasters that we have intervened to help with.

what about foreign aid? don't forget that...

:)

Latest posts

Back