Considering quitting my job and not working...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, why I am not doing this… all boils down to fear.

Yup which is why people who have families or spouses to fall back on, end up taking more risks and end up with better successes. Less risk = less fear, less fear = more risks, more risks = more success.

stork_error said:
Again, why I am not doing this… all boils down to fear.

Yup which is why people who have families or spouses to fall back on, end up taking more risks and end up with better successes. Less risk = less fear, less fear = more risks, more risks = more success.

Oh yeah, this is totally true. I'm very conservative with the decisions I make because I'm single and don't have a husband to bail me out if I torch my credit or lose my job or anything like that.

-Teresa

stork_error said:

Too bad there aren't more social media things for singles. Maybe people could hook up in a non romantic way to sort of support someone in starting their own business for a percentage of the business.

Maybe we do have that already in a kickstarter sense.

I do agree that almost everyone I know who has succeeded in starting their own business was married. But then again the fear is worse because you have so much to lose.

There's already plenty of support out there for people, singles and non-singles who want to start their own businesses. Everything from Kickstarter, Kiva to small business loans, venture capitalists and everything in between. Problem is, no one is going to knock on your door and say "May I help?" You have to put yourself out there and ask for help. If you're not willing to do that, there are an infinite number of excuses one can think of to avoid starting a business including "I'm single".

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
You have to put yourself out there and ask for help. If you're not willing to do that, there are an infinite number of excuses one can think of to avoid starting a business including "I'm single".

That is ridiculous. A loan has to be paid back. There aren't a lot of people on kickstarter clamoring to support a law firm (or much of anything these days) What you want to so casually dismiss as an excuse, is just straight up planning.

When you have someone supporting you when you try to start a business, typically, it doesn't have to be paid back. If you give someone 10% of your business, if, the business doesn't succeed, it doesn't have to be paid back.

Going into debt is not a solution.

LonelySutton said:
SofiasMami said:
You have to put yourself out there and ask for help. If you're not willing to do that, there are an infinite number of excuses one can think of to avoid starting a business including "I'm single".

That is ridiculous. A loan has to be paid back. There aren't a lot of people on kickstarter clamoring to support a law firm (or much of anything these days) What you want to so casually dismiss as an excuse, is just straight up planning.

When you have someone supporting you when you try to start a business, typically, it doesn't have to be paid back. If you give someone 10% of your business, if, the business doesn't succeed, it doesn't have to be paid back.

Going into debt is not a solution.

Then don't start a business. (shrug) Your life, not mine.

-Teresa

Sometimes you take chances, you take risks... they might work out or they might not. I was out of job for 4 months and nobody was supporting me. I don't know how I made it, with the little savings I had. But I'm doing much better work-wise because I quit such a stressful job. Even with a new job now with quite a bit of a pay cut, I don't mind it. Even if I have to squeeze my expenses a little and be more mindful of what I spend, I don't mind. Cos my mind is under so much less stress. Plus I do have debts to pay from my lack of income in those 4 months. I am slowly paying them now...... a little worrying, but it's okay, it'll be done.

Yes, I was afraid I might die or lose a home and all that honeysuckle. But I had hope that things will work out, and did all that I could to get something in the end. If you really set your mind and heart to it and give all your effort to get something you want, or close enough to it, I believe that you can get it.

Here I am. With a lower-paying job, with 90% of the stress gone. People, family, friends, give me honeysuckle about quitting a well-paying job for this. I'm thinking, this is my life, I'll have it the way I want it, thank you.

It's a matter of whether you really want to or not, sometimes.

The idea of having to be married to start your own biz is total BS.
That is just an excuse.
i'm single and I was able to get started.
It is all about one's mindset
If you are afraid of failing, you can't possibly succeed at anything in life, let alone starting your own business.

ABrokenMan said:
That is just an excuse.
If you are afraid of failing, you can't possibly succeed at anything in life, let alone starting your own business.

Agreed. If nothing else, single people have more incentive to start a business, since they can take risks without dragging an entire family down with them in case it fails.

Seeker_2.0 said:
ABrokenMan said:
That is just an excuse.

Agreed. If nothing else, single people have more incentive to start a business, since they can take risks without dragging an entire family down with them in case it fails.

Less stressful, for sure.
And being single means you only have to be concerned with you. Definitely much more difficult if you have a family and quitting your old job to get started means a loss of income in the partnership / provider realm.

ABrokenMan said:
And being single means you only have to be concerned with you. Definitely much more difficult if you have a family and quitting your old job to get started means a loss of income in the partnership / provider realm.

No way. You still have all the exact same expenses as you would if you were with someone. If you have someone else pulling the weight of the expenses you could not have to go into debt. The only single people that do it are fools or live with mom and dad.

LonelySutton said:
ABrokenMan said:

No way. You still have all the exact same expenses as you would if you were with someone. If you have someone else pulling the weight of the expenses you could not have to go into debt. The only single people that do it are fools or live with mom and dad.

That's not very nice.... and that's not exactly true.

LonelySutton said:
ABrokenMan said:

That's over-generalizing, don't you think? Not all people are in the same circumstances and you say it as if living with mom and dad is something to be ashamed of...

LonelySutton said:
ABrokenMan said:

Wrong, you are.
Amazing how dense that comment is, from someone who seems so timid and negative to begin with.
Same expenses? What planet are you on?

I have no wife and no kids. I only have to be able to afford my rent and other necessities. Plus costs to keep moving forward. I found a niche that I can serve without having to have a brick & mortar storefront. I had over 20 years working for a guy who started with nothing but 5 grand and turned it into one of the most successful self owned small businesses during th ecourse of its 30 year operation. He was married, but his wife did not work, She worked for HIM. While working there, I learned the ins and outs of what makes a small company successful and what mistakes were made that prevented potential growth. Some of these are directly related to what I am now doing, on a much smaller scale. I now work for me.

I'm not making a lot of money, I am just squeaking by. If I was married with a kid no way would it be enough to support them, even if my "wife" was working, unless she made a substantial income.
Gong into debt? You should have a solid financial plan in place before even venturing forward with your own business (how will I be able to get started, & then continue?). Unless you wanna open a lemonade stand.

We are here to vent, and offer support. This thread falling into the realm of the latter. So next time, please offer up a post that has some basis in fact before you do so. It gets tiresome trying to rationalize someone's point of view that is nothing more than subjective / biased opinion. Especially when you have not even experienced what is being discussed.

Especially when you have not even experienced what is being discussed.

Let me try to rationalize it for your brain…

You have 2 people working making meh 40,000 per year each. One person starts their own business forfeiting their 40,000 per year.
The household income is now 40,000 per year.

But guess what, the good spouse fails and makes jack all after taxes.

Fortunately however, from that households 40,000 per year, somehow the rent was paid, and so were the bills.

Now remove the spouse…

You have one person making 40,000 per year, that person forfeits their household income and starts a business

And guess what, the good single person fails and made jack all after taxes

WTF, that single folk is now homeless, having to claim bankrupcy because he/she cant pay the bills, and now, being bankrupt and all, nobody will rent out an apartment to them, **** now they are sick cause of the stress, and not eating well.

And to think having a spouse could have prevented all that.

It's not rocket science. I'm confused as to how this is not obvious.

LonelySutton, I sympathize with you more than you know. Ever since I was a kid and found out I had to go to school every day, I've always wanted to break free of the idea of being forced to go to places I don't want to go to do things that I don't want to do, at the expense of my interests. It's led to this tug of war - I want to learn to be great, but society wants me to learn to accept being average. The two interests are directly opposed to one another.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything to say other than what's been said. Starting your own business is really the only way to escape. I've always had a strong desire to work for myself. But my problem is that I have no idea what I'd go into business doing. I only have a few interests, and I'm not that good at them yet. I wouldn't say I'm that much better at anything than anyone else. I don't know what other interests I might have, but the trouble is it takes money to do things. I might find that I love scuba diving, for instance. But I'd never get to go without money.

I think the first step is to start reading business books and listening to podcasts. If you are smart enough to have become a lawyer, then surely you can find a way to make it in business. Anyway, I wish you all the best in escaping wage slavery. I know how you feel.

TheSkaFish said:
LonelySutton, I sympathize with you more than you know. Ever since I was a kid and found out I had to go to school every day, I've always wanted to break free of the idea of being forced to go to places I don't want to go to do things that I don't want to do, at the expense of my interests. It's led to this tug of war - I want to learn to be great, but society wants me to learn to accept being average. The two interests are directly opposed to one another.

Then don't listen to society. I've felt the same as you describe here for a long time in my life. Thankfully i got over it. You're not fighting a struggle against societal norms. You're not fighting a fight against the will of others. You're fighting only against yourself. And only you yourself can free yourself. Only you can let yourself break free. If this cliche is still hollow and without argument to you, it will not resonate deep within you, and you will dismiss it, as i did, for years and years.

I'm not smart enough to properly explain this, and so, i will let someone else do it for me. This video does not just apply to you, Skafish. In particular to this comment as well.

LonelySutton said:
The only single people that do it are fools or live with mom and dad.

It's thirteen minutes long, but it could be worth it.

[video=youtube]

Rosebolt said:
Then don't listen to society. I've felt the same as you describe here for a long time in my life. Thankfully i got over it. You're not fighting a struggle against societal norms. You're not fighting a fight against the will of others. You're fighting only against yourself. And only you yourself can free yourself. Only you can let yourself break free. If this cliche is still hollow and without argument to you, it will not resonate deep within you, and you will dismiss it, as i did, for years and years.

Hi. Actually, it's funny you should post on this thread, because I was reading similar thread last night called "Life Seems Like a Chore" or something similar. On that thread, you mentioned something about how you were able to change a mindset you had for a long time, and how you changed it fairly quickly. I was going to ask you about it because I'm interested in doing the same thing, especially as far as this subject goes. Early on I developed this thing of being anti-society, not wanting to help the rich get richer. But it's given me a largely negative identity and it's not taking me where I want to go.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I know what the movie is getting at, and you are getting at by saying "only you can set yourself free". I think the movie is getting at the idea that a person can't just sit and wait to be rescued from the 9-5, but rather, they have to make their own escape however they are able, on their own terms. It's not a problem that can be solved by an outside force or a revolution, because for one, the world needs people to work if we're going to have a civilization and two, each person has their own idea of what it means to escape the grind - one size doesn't fit all.

For me, escaping the 9-5 grind would be about working for myself. It would be about getting good enough at something I'm interested in to make enough money off of it to not work for other people, then I'd feel free. My whole life, I thought I wasn't smart enough or talented enough to bother being interested in anything because I thought I lacked the fundamental capability to be good enough at anything to be better than average. Then in college, all I knew was that I didn't want to get a job helping the rich get richer - I didn't want to spend my life helping who I perceived to be my jailers. But just thinking that I didn't want to help the rich didn't give me an idea of what I actually did want to do. I should have spent that time and energy exploring interests instead. Then I'd have my business or some other niche, and I'd have set myself free.

I hate the way my future in the workplace looks, at least. I've been considering giving up my field and instead striving to make a living off writing or starve.

Because all the women around me in IT are incompetent, I'm afraid everyone is scrutinizing me. Worse yet, that I might be no better. Thanks a lot for the great role models and peers, affirmative action! After all, in the fight for equality it's the numbers and not the human beings that count, right?

Latest posts

Back