Could someone help me?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woz

Reaction score
I'm doing some coursework and am trying to write something similar to this: "big brother is a reality tv show that puts the lives of a group of people under surveillance for a set time. This is a ____ for England, which Banksy once described as "one nation under CCTV."

I really can't think of the missing word. I think it fits into a group of words such as personification and metaphor, but I can't remember them and can't be bothered to hunt around for old school books :p thanks.

Woz said:
I'm doing some coursework and am trying to write something similar to this: "big brother is a _____, it shows the lives of people using hidden surveillence cameras for our entertainment. This is similar to England, which Banksy once described as "one nation under CCTV.

I really can't think of the missing word. I think it fits into a group of words such as personification ad metaphor, but I can't remember them and can't be bothered to hunt around for old school books :p thanks.

"Big Brother is a reality game show franchise created by John de Mol." <- shamelessly copied from wikipedia.

painter said:
Controvertial topic/delicate situation.

It's nothing to do with what I intend to write, I'm looking for a specific word and used that to help explain what I'm looking for. Cheers for your help.

I'd be inclined to say "metaphor."
So Big brother is a metaphor for England.

Another reason not to relocate to England. :)

Woz said:
I'm doing some coursework and am trying to write something similar to this: "big brother is a reality tv show that puts the lives of a group of people under surveillance for a set time. This is a ____ for England, which Banksy once described as "one nation under CCTV."

I really can't think of the missing word. I think it fits into a group of words such as personification and metaphor, but I can't remember them and can't be bothered to hunt around for old school books :p thanks.

"This is a microcosm of British society, which Banksy...."

or

"This is set up as a microcosm of..."

Lady X said:
Woz said:

"This is a microcosm of British society, which Banksy...."

or

"This is set up as a microcosm of..."

Your answer is defintely better than mine.

I never learnt about that word so it wasn't what I was thinking of, but it's a really good answer. Just wondering if analogy would be more correct, as rather than being a miniature world, it is an example of how our lives are watched. So i'm pointing out the fact we're being watched like Big Bro contestants, rather than what we're watching.

Wait maybe that is a microcosm... Have I made this really confusing lol. Also, ignore what I'm saying about Big Bro, i'm using them to help suggest the word i'm looking for. I'm not looking for an argument, just a good grade!

Ps no worries painters, my unedited OP was mieading. My bad!

Woz said:
So i'm pointing out the fact we're being watched like Big Bro contestants, rather than what we're watching.

So you're talking about Big Bro in real life, rather than the show?
The whole "Which is more important, national security or privacy" argument?

Sigma said:
Woz said:
So i'm pointing out the fact we're being watched like Big Bro contestants, rather than what we're watching.

So you're talking about Big Bro in real life, rather than the show?
The whole "Which is more important, national security or privacy" argument?

Nope to the latter.

Woz said:

Maybe something like "This is a representation of England..."
Comparison? Association? Correlation? Parallel?

I feel like I know exactly what you're trying to say here, I just can't find the right word...

Latest posts

Back