crypsis

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lusker

Reaction score
Crypsis is the term use by ecologists to describe the abilities which some creatures use to avoid detection or observation. For example, concealment or camouflage.

What's your strategy for staying under the radar, and is it a blessing or a curse?

I relied on a subterranean lifestyle as a teenager, following the logic that "out of sight is out of mind", but as an adult obliged to stake my claim in the world, I definitely rely on camouflage (I'm a "grey man" by choice) and mimicry (I look normal).

My defences only come crashing down when people get to know me -- which is why I don't let them! For years it was a huge curse, and I hated myself for faking normal. But now I've grown into my alters, and sometimes find myself smiling on the inside the way a lion must smile whenever a gazelle just wanders into its path.

Red in tooth and claw.

Your turn.

Hmm, I'm not sure about all this, but I know that when I'm not in social mood I also use this 'Crypsis' to some extent, I'm more quiet, sit in more discreet places and generally avoid any situations that would result in me interacting with people.

Not publicly identifying as members of groups. Most people stereotype who I am and what I've done, and even when I've come out of hiding, I've heard ppl say something brill like "oh wow, you don't seem like you are x because x acts,talks,thinks,looks like y as I've seen in teh movies". Still I do not change their misconceptions, because I deviate from their framework. I am the exception that is quickly made invisible.

It's neither a blessing or a curse for me. It's just sad how people are easily brainwashed and cannot make the movement to expand their understanding.

I don't go out of my way to not talk to people but I am naturally in situations that are difficult for others to talk to me. I do not avoid them when they want to talk. I think it is a blessing for me because I do not secretly yearn for attention while actively avoiding it. I like my solitude. I like my privacy.

It actually hits my nerve when I see people feign hermit/introvert and hope they get people's attention just so they can blow them off and stay "Nah, I'm an introvert." Then get depressed when they don't really get any attention. =s

It's like the classic ****head that hits on a girl, and keeps on trying just to get her to say yes, then blow her off.

I have a system of adaptive camoflauge that allows me to mimic the colors of buildings around me.

It allows me to avoid predators as well as gives me a safe zone from which I may strike at my own prey. :cool:

Latest posts

Back