Cynicism

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boring-Weirdo

Reaction score
Which came first: the isolation or the alienation?

How many here would describe themselves as cynics, iconoclasts, pessimists, nihilists, or anything resembling such. What helped cultivate that world-view, and how do you think that has impacted your ability to achieve and maintain relationships?

Not sure what you are asking exactly with your first question.

I can be a bit pessimistic, try not to be but **** it if my brain keeps going there. As for the other three you mentioned, nope. Pessimism saved me from getting too deep into a relationship because what I thought and predicted would happen did in fact happen exactly as it did.

If I understand the first question correctly isolation is referring to when you isolate yourself personally from people. Alienation is when other people tend to isolate you, not inviting you to events or talking to you and so forth.

To answer the question personally isolation came first for me, all though it was not intentional. Depression hit me early around sixth grade if you ask me why I wouldn't be able to answer you, but I had started to distance myself that by the time I was in high school people viewed me as anti-social and stopped inviting me to parties, or simply just to hang out. I had my chances in high school to turn myself around but I failed to, now I find it nearly impossible that I'm out of school.

I am most diffidently pessimistic and most often am a cynic rarely do I see the bright side to things, and I always try to figure out people's motives when they're nice to me. It has hindered my relationships more than it helped. I'm always expecting the worse and may in subconsciously fact push things towards that out come just so I can throw my hands in the air and say how right I was. Also sarcasm is my go to defense.

Sorry for the confusion on the first part. "Which came first: the isolation or the alienation?" is supposed to be a play on the ol' "Which came first: the chicken or the egg?" question.

I often get criticized because of my bad attitude, and it is cited as a cause for my loneliness (and failure in general). I argue that my loneliness is the cause of my bad attitude, not vice-versa. In reality the answer must be that I was born with a negative-leaning-disposition that was reinforced by rejection and failure, which reinforced the former and so-on.

Just a wee joke. ;-)

In my case, I became like this, and then I started to isolate myself. It was not the other way around. For me, its not a "chicken or egg" question, as it has a clear answer (and if I´m correct that question also has correct answer, contrary to popular belief. But lets use it in the context its used.).

Isolation came first I guess, though I've always been sort of a loner shortly after the beginning of high school. I'd say I'm probably a bit nihilistic, maybe pessimistic about some thinga.

Boring-Weirdo said:
Which came first: the isolation or the alienation?

How many here would describe themselves as cynics, iconoclasts, pessimists, nihilists, or anything resembling such. What helped cultivate that world-view, and how do you think that has impacted your ability to achieve and maintain relationships?

Isolation is self-imposed, alienation is usually imposed on you by others. Neither came first - you can isolate yourself which in turn causes people to alienate you or you can be alienated by people which causes you to isolate yourself.

On your second point I believe it's necessary to have a fair bit of cynicism and pessimism but balance is needed or you will simply end up at the conclusion that life is pointless.

Nihilists know this and because of this understanding they can easily think outside the box, not because they are negative people but because they have allowed themselves to understand what the 'box' is.

The downside to this revelation is quite depressing and a nihilist will not usually see the point in pursuing anything more than their basal needs. This isn't a bad or a good thing but to enjoy life you have to tip the scale a bit in the other direction and say to yourself "i know the grim reality of the situation but i'm going to try and at least enjoy what I can".

Latest posts

Back