Dating sites

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone else think their ridiculous, I mean people don't even respond most of the time if you don't have a picture. Most people just put their photo and info on such sites for fun. Most are not even lonely or whatever, its just stupid. Also its purely based on looks and so called qualities and how those are supposed to match. Its just plain stupid.

Idk...
I've never dated anymore in person IRL from a dating site.
I've only met a few people on the net that I've actually spoken to over the phone but they're
not from a dating site. I guess I could had taken it to the next level with Joyclyne.
I spoke to her on the phone for almost a year. Just trying to get to know her.
She and I had a lot in common. yeah..she sent me pics of her and she has mine.
She was about as clueless as I was when it came to long distance relationship.
Yeah...I was single and wasn't lonely. She wasn't either. She and I were actaully dating at the time.
So when the moment arrive of me having a date with someone I've met in real life...evidently I like the feel of skin better:p
I think she and i just bonced off of each other and support one other through the dating process.
I didn't want to haning around single's bars to meet women. The internet was just another option.

Back in the days before the internet...people would take out adds in the classified section.

I've recieved plenty replies from people from various meet people site. Half of the time i feel retarted about
it...The other half feels sane becuase.....I still have it..:p
At this junture of my life a long term relationship would drive me fucken nutz.

Yeah I think some of these sites are meat markets, poeple will bypass the plain looking to get to the better looking members. I am very cynical about it and think there are better opportunitys to meet nice people elswhere,.
Where to meet nice down to earth people is a harder question...I do think they are all around us...but that is not always an easy situation to approach somone.
But yeah back to dating sites? There are probably some genuines there, but it is such a fake and intimidting atmosphere, i see no sense in ti. I am with you lonier-than-thou!

I have not had any luck with any of them. I have been on match.com, probably met 5 or 6 people on there. Not once did I ever get past a first date.

I tried yahoo and a few others years ago, and never got a single response from any of the members.

I had a pic up on my match profile, but the only problem I have with that is co workers finding it and then making fun of me, which they WILL do....in person AND behind my back :(

I never was any good at writing a profile anyway LOL

I find too that many of the members still have not outgrown the whole going to the club, drinking, and crap like that. I nver went through that phase and I would not want anyone who is into the whole party atmosphere.

Unacceptance said:
catwixen said:
Yeah I think some of these sites are meat markets,

Words right out of my mouth.

Except I think they all are.

yeah, but when is dating ever NOT a meat market anyway.

the dating sites provides a service that people actually WANT, otherwise they would not be succesful. people want to be able to pick the finest selection of meat products with ease and convinience.

I have a co-worker who met his wife online. They're now expecting their first child. A former colleague of my Dad's (in his early 50s at the time) also found love again online.

I'm sure there are even more stories of failure.

I don't have many outlets that put me in contact with single women. At this point seemingly the best option is to try online dating. First have to move out of my parents house though, that being an outright game killer, so to speak. Which is assuming that I wouldn't blow it on my own account shortly after meeting the girl anyway.

I've tested the E-Harmony extensive personality test. And was NOT MATCHABLE at this time. Which was so gratifying, in a way. Every time I see the E-Harmony founder in their commercials I think 'what a god-damned sleezebag'. 25 Dimensions of proven compatibility: Are the first four Boring, Conformist, Weak-willed, and Stupid.

Also I looked around on match.com, which I though had the best layout of any site I went to. It wasn't too difficult to figure out which women there might be worth seeing.

Step 1: search agnostic, athiest, or "spiritual but not religious" within appropriate age range and without any kids. It narrows the choices pretty quickly.

Step 2: Look at canidate's profile write ups and think about what they express. Most of the women on the net use the same cookie cutter approach: I'm a nice, fun loving girl looking for a handsome guy with a heart of gold and . . .blah blah blah. Far fewer girls have a profile that's actually expressive and gives you a hint of who they are.

Step 3: I consider writing to be a fairly strong suit of mine, so I think that I could convince at least one girl to meet me in person / go on a date with me.

And if I'm considering online dating as part of a genuine attempt to find companionship, then so are some of the women on these sites. Everyone has to pay the entry fee, after all.

Oh - and who is it that WOULD date someone without ever seeing their picture? Or at least who wouldn't prefer it? I don't have absurd standards but I do like a pretty face. Anyone who says they doesn't is lying. And if a girl's so lazy that she can't figure out the right camera angle to get one attractive profile shot then she probably doesn't deserve a date. Same goes for the guys.

The-One said:
Unacceptance said:
catwixen said:
Yeah I think some of these sites are meat markets,

Words right out of my mouth.

Except I think they all are.

yeah, but when is dating ever NOT a meat market anyway.

the dating sites provides a service that people actually WANT, otherwise they would not be succesful. people want to be able to pick the finest selection of meat products with ease and convinience.

And therein lies the conundrum that keeps me from understanding what should be a secondary behavior.

Americans just isolate themselves more and more. We value our privacy far too much. Our homes are enclosures that are used to shut the rest of the world out. Soon enough the ONLY place anyone will know to meet new people will be online.

luciddisconnect said:
Americans just isolate themselves more and more. We value our privacy far too much. Our homes are enclosures that are used to shut the rest of the world out. Soon enough the ONLY place anyone will know to meet new people will be online.

I am someone who will never be comfortable with that comment, but its very true with the way things are going in this part of the world.

Are there any 'friend' options on any dating sites? Or, for that matter, any 'friendship' sites?

Not having frequented dating sites, and really not being that interested in 'relationships' at this time (as I imagine many others may not be too), I find it curious why it's so hard to make friends online.
I wasn't planning to spend the rest of my life emailing & PMing people I'll never meet IRL - spending way too much time on the computer as is.

olg

one lonely guy said:
Are there any 'friend' options on any dating sites? Or, for that matter, any 'friendship' sites?

Not having frequented dating sites, and really not being that interested in 'relationships' at this time (as I imagine many others may not be too), I find it curious why it's so hard to make friends online.
I wasn't planning to spend the rest of my life emailing & PMing people I'll never meet IRL - spending way too much time on the computer as is.

olg

Yes there are sites dedicated to making new friends or to just meet people, I know a few in my country, but I just have a thing with all these sites. The whole explaining what kind of person you are and what you do is just not my type of fun. :(

one lonely guy said:
lonelier-than-thou said:
The whole explaining what kind of person you are and what you do is just not my type of fun. :(
I'm not sure how else you would meet anyone else even vaguely compatible.

I dont think there is a way for people like me either so.

Unacceptance said:
one lonely guy said:
lonelier-than-thou said:
The whole explaining what kind of person you are and what you do is just not my type of fun. :(

The ol' Stalk'n'kidnap

mkay and how are people supposed to accomplish this if they have no arms or legs

hey i'm agreeing with u but i'd like a solution for them...since they probably can't type this themselves

Van Hooligan said:
Unacceptance said:
one lonely guy said:
lonelier-than-thou said:

The ol' Stalk'n'kidnap

mkay and how are people supposed to accomplish this if they have no arms or legs

hey i'm agreeing with u but i'd like a solution for them...since they probably can't type this themselves

Robo-limbs

Be wary of people on dating sites. I came across no less than FIVE different people or peoples running scams through e-harmony while I had a membership with them. Very disappointing.

Spare said:
Be wary of people on dating sites. I came across no less than FIVE different people or peoples running scams through e-harmony while I had a membership with them. Very disappointing.

Yep that happens aswell. The whole thing is like finding a needle in multiple haystacks and once you find the needle you still need to knit a sweater. :D

Yes, dating sites are a meat market, but so is the real world. Although I feel like these sites aren't the best place to meet potential partners, they do work for some people. If you do use one, don't pay! That's just silly. Try okcupid.com, which is completely free and has some interesting features.

Latest posts

Back