Deal Breakers

• Thread starter AmytheTemperamental
  • Start date
Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tattoos, piercings, what have you. Your body, do what you like. But only once you're an adult and can bear the responsibility of making those decisions. It would be all too easy to suffer negative consequences from badly done tattoos and piercings. Be safe, be cautious. I wouldn't advise people to get tattoos, as beautiful as some of them are, but again, to each their own life, body, values and moral codes. Don't be so quick to judge.

Anyone wearing a tattoo is marking themselves as a member of some group. If people believe they're expressing themselves, it's much easier than directly controlling them.
I wouldn't trust anyone wearing a tattoo of any sort, or any other sort of mark indicating membership in any group beyond that which cannot be controlled.
Naturally I've been treated like honeysuckle by "alternative" people throughout my life. After enough instances, I would be fool to not judge people based on that.

there is no hope said:
Anyone wearing a tattoo is marking themselves as a member of some group. If people believe they're expressing themselves, it's much easier than directly controlling them.
I wouldn't trust anyone wearing a tattoo of any sort, or any other sort of mark indicating membership in any group.
Naturally I've been treated like honeysuckle by "alternative" people throughout my life.

So if someone has the tattoo of their children's footprint, that's a sign of a group that should be avoided?

there is no hope said:
I wouldn't trust anyone wearing a tattoo of any sort, or any other sort of mark indicating membership in any group beyond that which cannot be controlled.
Naturally I've been treated like honeysuckle by "alternative" people throughout my life. After enough instances, I would be fool to not judge people based on that.

Do you have any idea how extremely offensive that statement is? I would trust my life to many people that are covered in tattoos. They are original people who have pride and honor in themselves and respect everyone and everyone's ideas. They don't mark themselves as being part of a group, they mark themselves as being THEMSELVES!
People without tattoos can treat you like honeysuckle just as easily as a person with a tattoo. Do some homework and stop being so **** judgmental.

there is no hope said:
Yes, I am very aware of how offensive that statement is.
Do you care about offending me? Of course not.

If you think I offended you, that's on you. You are the one making a statement about a good portion of the population when you have no idea what you're talking about, so....

You offend a good portion of the population and are proud to do it. Such is the nature of society today.
If you're wearing a tattoo, you are part of a subculture. Secret symbols and secret societies are far too rampant and should be viewed with suspicion at the least.
Obviously someone like me is not entitled to defend himself in your eyes, that would interfere with all to prerogatives you have fought for (i.e., the ones you took from me). I'm not permitted to defend myself by making a judgement according to you, and I'm not allowed to reject others, but you are always allowed to reject me.

A guy who doesn't accept that I have my own style, that is different from his mother's. I will be willing to learn new things, but I will never be exactly like her.

there is no hope said:
You offend a good portion of the population and are proud to do it. Such is the nature of society today.
If you're wearing a tattoo, you are part of a subculture. Secret symbols and secret societies are far too rampant and should be viewed with suspicion at the least.
Obviously someone like me is not entitled to defend himself in your eyes, that would interfere with all to prerogatives you have fought for (i.e., the ones you took from me). I'm not permitted to defend myself by making a judgement according to you, and I'm not allowed to reject others, but you are always allowed to reject me.

So, I'm society now? lol If people are offended by what I say, that's on them. I don't judge people and I am certainly not disrespectful to a group of people I know nothing about.

I actually don't have any tattoos, but not because I don't want any. Most, nearly ALL of my friends have tattoos, quite a few of them covered in tats, they are some of the BEST people I have ever met. You clearly perceive tattoos in a way that shows you don't really know what you're talking about. So, as I said, do your homework because you judge people just because they choose to put art on their bodies.

If you wish to defend yourself, certainly, by all means, go ahead, but when you begin by OFFENDING a group of people because of what YOU perceive to be true without any proof whatsoever, then I don't really believe you have much of a leg to stand on.
Also, you can reject whoever you want, but do it for real reasons, not some judgmental theory you created.

You're disrespectful and contemptuous of me just from everything you have written, and clearly regard me as inferior, dumb, and someone to be mocked. That is the world I must live in, for all my life, and I am expected to be grateful for constant humiliation and shame.

there is no hope said:
You're disrespectful and contemptuous of me just from everything you have written, and clearly regard me as inferior, dumb, and someone to be mocked. That is the world I must live in, for all my life, and I am expected to be grateful for constant humiliation and shame.

I view you as uneducated in the area of tattoos. Nothing else. I don't feel you are inferior or dumb or someone to be mocked at all. I am not being disrespectful to you at all. I'm telling you that what you think is true, is not. You need to do some research and you will find that you are mistaken is what you are saying.

No one can place humiliation and shame on you unless YOU allow it. So yeah, that's on you if you took my words that way.

there is no hope said:

Ok man, take a step back now. This woman is not disrespectful. She is not mocking you at all. She has no reason to do so.

Log off for a little bit, go for a walk or have something to drink and then come back when you calm down.

I am extensively tattooed and I'm definitely not part of any secret society or cult. I decorate my body for myself only because I like beautiful art and appreciate nature (all of my tattoos are of nature). On what basis do you believe that tattoos have that implication?

there is no hope said:
I wouldn't trust anyone wearing a tattoo of any sort,

Almost everyone I have ever known has at least one tattoo, it's just that most of them are small and hidden so you wouldn't know unless they mentioned it. There are probably a lot more people with tattoos than you realize.

AmytheTemperamental said:
So if someone has the tattoo of their children's footprint, that's a sign of a group that should be avoided?

I would still like to hear your answer to this question, tinh.

AmytheTemperamental said:
moving on...:club:

I was only asking to be educated on his point of view. I like to understand other people's points of view, and the anti-tattoo sentiments confuse me.

But that's fine, whatever.

All I'll say is if I see a tattoo or similar status symbol, my first thought will be "who are they with", not "ooh, what does that body art mean"? I'm fine with body modification, but wearing a mark usually is used as a social indicator, like a tramp stamp or tattoos displaying membership in a gang. Not being conscious that others will ask that question is suspect - demanding that others not ask that question displays a special kind of arrogance which implies a sense of superiority which should not need explanation. I will judge people as I see fit - others have judged me throughout my life for things I didn't choose, except their judgements have far harsher repercussions.

I guess it's not a deal breaker in of itself, but I will always view tattooed people with suspicion, depending on what I can guess their mark means. Secret symbols are things that ought to be criticized rather than quietly tolerated, but for historical reasons that runs counter to what American society is (and a good part of the rest of the world, but America's history in particular IS the history of secret societies and conspiracy theories, some more so than others).

How people react to my judgement and suspicion is a good indicator of whether I can expect hostility in the future. If people demand that I'm not allowed to judge when they quite clearly reserve prerogatives to judge me, it says everything I need to know.

Latest posts

Back