Deep sense of loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny23

Reaction score
I'm feeling a bit more down than usual, so I thought I might just share what's been bothering me.
For the past 4 years I've been feeling lonely, don't get me wrong I have a good social life; I meet up with my friends every week or so, I go out and play music with other musicians (Something which I really enjoy doing), I meet new people often, I've even been getting along really well with my sister lately, I meditate in the mornings, I walk my dog and I had a good healthy 3 year relationship with a lovely girl (So it's not a matter of finding a partner). I have everything I want and I'm happy (Jeez, that makes me sound like a snobby kid).
But for some reason whenever I just sit down and really think about my life I realise that for some reason I'm lonely, I've honestly tried to think why I feel so lonely and I just can't figure out why. So what should I do to overcome this deep sense of loneliness? It's really driving me insane :/
Feel free to share your own stories on loneliness and how you overcame it, could probably help.

Hmm...I'm not sure. You have good relationships with the people around you, but do you have someone you can really confide in? I have people I can hang out with but not really talk personal problems with, sometimes they also don't seem to "get it." At moments like those I feel very lonely. It could also be that you need some change or renewed sense of purpose in your life. A sense of accomplishment can really help. Maybe you can give yourself a musical task every week -- like learning a new piece. Or you can volunteer and/or teach. Helping others is useful too. =)

edamame721 said:
Hmm...I'm not sure. You have good relationships with the people around you, but do you have someone you can really confide in? I have people I can hang out with but not really talk personal problems with, sometimes they also don't seem to "get it." At moments like those I feel very lonely. It could also be that you need some change or renewed sense of purpose in your life. A sense of accomplishment can really help. Maybe you can give yourself a musical task every week -- like learning a new piece. Or you can volunteer and/or teach. Helping others is useful too. =)

Well I have 5 people who really understand me and I can pretty much talk to them about anything, and I have a therapist ._.
Believe me I've tried a lot things, I try to learn new songs every 2 days, I did some volunteer work for some charities, and last summer I taught a class on how to play guitar. But I suppose you're right, I think I'll try new things during summer :D
I guess because I recently finished college I've just been feeling a bit empty; I actually enjoyed doing my coursework so now that I don't have any coursework to do I was feeling lost ._.
But yeah thanks for your reply :)

Do you feel loneliness when you are being social? Are you ever lonely in public places, or does it strike when you are by yourself? I'm curious because I can feel loneliness anywhere, even if I'm with people. It's lessened around people I like and respect, but even then, the feelings of unwanted solitude still creep in.

Case said:
Do you feel loneliness when you are being social? Are you ever lonely in public places, or does it strike when you are by yourself? I'm curious because I can feel loneliness anywhere, even if I'm with people. It's lessened around people I like and respect, but even then, the feelings of unwanted solitude still creep in.

I think I feel really lonely when I'm by myself, it just strikes me. When I'm outside, around people or doing anything else I know I still feel lonely but I manage to ignore it by focusing on other things, but once you run out of things to do you're basically screwed ._.

Latest posts

Back