Do even loners have FaceBook?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Triple Bogey said:
Mr.YellowCat said:
I don't know about other people and Facebook, but this is about me and Facebook.
Had Facebook about three years ago, until I started trying to become astray (Is this the proper word?) of people. So I deleted it, trying to make myself appear as not being connected and all. And for me, it worked. Its not only because of Facebook, but it was a part of the path of cutting ties with regular social relationships, meaning friendships, and intimate (BF/GF stuff) availability.
So not having a Facebook keeps me from knowing about parties and being invited to them, as well as other social events.
So I, kinda loner, do not have Facebook. I don't know about other loners, but I would think that those who seek social relationships will have it, as its maybe one of the most efficient ways to be connected to people (You know how I mean it).

everybody seems to be 'in relationships' on there which doesn't help.
I sometimes want to put 'in a relationship with F**KING NOBODY' on mine but what would be the point ?

This is why I think most people on here would be better off without facebook, or at least keeping their use to a minimum. It's too easy to compare yourself to other people on facebook and that only leads to bad things.

What you should remember is people really embellish their lives on facebook by only posting about the positive things in their life. Most of their life might suck, but they don't want anyone to know that.

Another problem I see with a lot of people, is they use facebook to get validation from other people. It almost becomes like a drug for some people. If lots of people like their posts or photos or give them nice comments, then they feel great. But if they don't get those likes and good comments, then they feel terrible. The problem with this is these people are relying on other people to make them feel good.

bender22 said:
Triple Bogey said:
Mr.YellowCat said:
I don't know about other people and Facebook, but this is about me and Facebook.
Had Facebook about three years ago, until I started trying to become astray (Is this the proper word?) of people. So I deleted it, trying to make myself appear as not being connected and all. And for me, it worked. Its not only because of Facebook, but it was a part of the path of cutting ties with regular social relationships, meaning friendships, and intimate (BF/GF stuff) availability.
So not having a Facebook keeps me from knowing about parties and being invited to them, as well as other social events.
So I, kinda loner, do not have Facebook. I don't know about other loners, but I would think that those who seek social relationships will have it, as its maybe one of the most efficient ways to be connected to people (You know how I mean it).

everybody seems to be 'in relationships' on there which doesn't help.
I sometimes want to put 'in a relationship with F**KING NOBODY' on mine but what would be the point ?

This is why I think most people on here would be better off without facebook, or at least keeping their use to a minimum. It's too easy to compare yourself to other people on facebook and that only leads to bad things.

What you should remember is people really embellish their lives on facebook by only posting about the positive things in their life. Most of their life might suck, but they don't want anyone to know that.

Another problem I see with a lot of people, is they use facebook to get validation from other people. It almost becomes like a drug for some people. If lots of people like their posts or photos or give them nice comments, then they feel great. But if they don't get those likes and good comments, then they feel terrible. The problem with this is these people are relying on other people to make them feel good.

I do try to use it only to 'keep in touch' with people.
I show off my photo's. 'Likes' are nice but they don't make me feel any better. Messages are nice but I don't get any.

I use it to keep in touch with co-workers and specific people. I tend to stay away from those with 300+ friends and 20 of them commenting on their pages every hour.

I used to have a Facebook but then I realised it made people quite anti-social so I decided to delete it as kind of a social experiment to see if it helped not having one in anyway.

I was off of Facebook for about 5 years. It made me lose touch with a lot of people, bad enough I was closing up from everyone after losing my father. So in that span of 5 years, I missed several good friends' weddings, I missed the birth of 2 of their babies, I missed out being there for one of my best friends who lost her grandmother and was having a rough time with her other friends (so she was basically alone) and I probably missed a whole load of other stuff about the people I knew.

Facebook is what you want it to be. I won't go with the stereotype about how it's stupid and moronic. Well, if you have moronic people on there, yeah, you'll see moronic posts. And besides you can decide what shows up on your feed or what you're being notified of or not. I think if you have friends whom you don't see everyday and would love to at least be updated with their lives, Facebook is good tool cos everyone gets busy, everyone has a life to live and everyone else just doesn't have as much time to sit and chat (though this is still best).

Also, because I am so anti-social in real life, but I actually do care about my friends and would like to know what's going on with them, it's really a good tool to keep myself updated. I don't use it much though, for myself. Recently I just created a new one because I am planning on abandoning my old one and trying to distance myself from the people in my current life.. as soon as I can move out and live my life on my own.. start afresh.

So to answer the question in the title, I guess I can be deemed a loner.. in a way. And yes I have Facebook.

WelshGreenNate said:
I used to have a Facebook but then I realised it made people quite anti-social so I decided to delete it as kind of a social experiment to see if it helped not having one in anyway.

It's weird how it does that, and yet people will spam others walls to no end. It made me realize how much more my life is empty and started making me feel that I wasn't a desirable human being.

But I like the things on there I like. LOL if that makes since. It reconnected me with a lot of old stuff, like pages dedicated to old cartoons. And then there's the LP'ers.

I own a facebook and I'm a loner; people occasionally talk to me on there but I don't really care to be honest. I keep in contact with my family on there and have a few friends; that's all I really need. Facebook isn't a big deal to me, as it is for some people.

I have a FB page, over 600 friends, many I have met in real life. But that doesn't mean I am not lonely, or a loner. I can be in a crowded room, yet feel like the loneliest person in it.

I don't have a facebook, and have never had a social media account because of my low self esteem. I feel like nobody would contact me. I would never have anything interesting to say, or post. I feel like the friend count is a measurement of your value as a friend.

I also know that this is all 100% untrue and pointless. I think facebook if used correctly can be a great tool for maintaining and making new friendships. From what I summise, the easiest way to follow up with someone after you just met them is to add them on facebook. Then you can choose where to go from there. Sending them a message, chatting, etc.

If I ever get past not liking the way I look, I'll definitely make a facebook. But you're right, I don't have one now.

I had a facebook account with 500 friends. 400 of them were people that i never met. Rest of the people are just acquaintances. Facebook used to make me feel even more lonely, so deleted that **** honeysuckle 2 months ago. And I'm really happy that I don't have a facebook.

Latest posts

Back