do nice people finish last?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SophiaGrace said:
annik said:
"Finishing last" implies that life is some sort of race or competition which it isn't. Everyone should just live, end of. Be nice don't be nice things will work out or they won't.

Tell that to the nice complacent black slaves we had in the south...

Actually that completely proves my point.

annik said:
SophiaGrace said:
annik said:
"Finishing last" implies that life is some sort of race or competition which it isn't. Everyone should just live, end of. Be nice don't be nice things will work out or they won't.

How so?

SophiaGrace said:
annik said:
SophiaGrace said:
annik said:

How so?

Well how is it in any way opposite to what I was saying?

As a metaphor, turning the other cheek works sometimes, but many times it will just invite slaps. Kicks, and worse. Maybe if your lucky you will just be ignored. If you are so nice you will give people all your money, someone will take it and leave you nothing. You have to expect that. In very few cultures would that not happen. Humans are very brutal creatures... just look at what they did to the Dodo Bird. In nature the same thing will happen. Something that is too docile will get eaten. There are reasons that make sense for why this is.

I agree, humans are brutal, carry pepper spray.

annik said:
SophiaGrace said:
annik said:
SophiaGrace said:
annik said:

How so?

I didn't understand how it proved your point though let alone disproving it...

Wait, I'm confused now. Nevermind.

SophiaGrace said:
I agree, humans are brutal, carry pepper spray.

annik said:
SophiaGrace said:
annik said:
SophiaGrace said:

How so?

Well it must have done one of them on some level.

Anyway yeah I was answering the point made by the poster and they didn't ask us to factor in how it would be related to slaves anyway so best to leave it.

Well it must have done one of them on some level.

Anyway yeah I was answering the point made by the poster and they didn't ask us to factor in how it would be related to slaves anyway so best to leave it.

I think the point of this thread is to discuss the value of being nice when making friends, not in enacting sweeping political change.

these are strange times that we live in. who would have thought, 100 years ago, that people in the year 2011 would have developed a taste for the taste of crap. people seem to loooooove to eat crap nowadays.

the truth is that nice guys really do finish last. what that saying means is that you will never get ahead in life by being nice. you HAVE to be aggressive at times. not all the times, just some times. sometimes you have to kiss ass, and sometimes you have to make people your *****. it's the only way you'll get ahead in life. i'm with you on this one. i would much rather be a nice guy and get the girl, get the promotion, get the respect and recognition, but that's just not how it works.

girls like dicks who can defend them even though they say they want a sweet guy. your boss doesn't want you to be aggresive because then you look good and he looks bad to his superiors. and nobody respects or recognizes a wimp, only a cold-hearted, yet effective, leader.

trust me on this one. it's how the game is played.

I'm rather pessimistic in this regard. 'Good guys finish last...if at all' is generally my view, put simply. I see sociopaths making a grand career, manipulating, tricking, backstabbing, conniving, fraternizing their way to the top in expense of others. Something is certainly wrong with the way the world works as the scum of humanity always floats to the top. Nobody really acts in view of morals or do the right thing, dunno if they ever had. People are barely civil, and only keep out of trouble from fear of the law. And the people at the top are in charge of the laws, or can make the letter of the law into whatever they want- when they have enough money and influence to do so.

The problem with nice is, majority doesn't play by those rules, same as gun control. Criminals aren't going to give a **** about rules if they see they can profit. They see weakness, they exploit it. Or they see they can profit from you long-term before discarding you, which is pretty much the corporate world in a nutshell. The idea of competition and rank and hierarchy is still very much instilled into the organizations we build in society, and it's not a pretty sight. We are animals just the same every other species- and there's always that 'asserting dominance' trait, even in 'civilization'.

*Sigh* I really need to stop thinking about this. In a crappy mood today, distills negativity in the mind.

Latest posts

Back