Do pets alleviate loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stepchild

Reaction score
Because that's what I heard.

I grew up with lots of dogs around, but I haven't had one since I moved from home, so I don't know if it'd really be of help. All I do know is that when I go visit Mom who has three, playing with them makes me almost always feel better, no matter how bad my day has been.

Any experiences?

Lots of loners get pets. I say they do a whole lot for a person, having someone to go to home each evening, someone to talk to (even if they just stare and wag their tail at you) and someone to take you outside, even if for walkies.

Always been fond of dogs, and they always have managed to bring my moods up from the gutter. Currently not a dog owner, but plan on getting some as soon as my financial status permits. Wonderful creatures, pets. Of course, they can't offer the same sort of relationships as people, but I think they're a good option to that- pets will are unlikely to abandon you and run off with another guy. :)

The only time they'll break your heart is when they must be put down. :(

Bread said:
Lots of loners get pets. I say they do a whole lot for a person, having someone to go to home each evening, someone to talk to (even if they just stare and wag their tail at you) and someone to take you outside, even if for walkies.

Yeah, that's one of the things I love about dogs: whenever they see you, they're just bursting with happiness, and they make no attempt to hide it. It's a great feeling to know that they never get mad at you or judge you. They're so much easier to get along with than humans.

Stepchild said:
Yeah, that's one of the things I love about dogs: whenever they see you, they're just bursting with happiness, and they make no attempt to hide it. It's a great feeling to know that they never get mad at you or judge you. They're so much easier to get along with than humans.

I wouldn't concur on the notion of never getting mad at you, seen some dogs do some professional level sulking a couple of times. Those soulful eyes can turn to full-blown 'Et tu, brute!' mode when they feel neglected. :p

Still, true that they are more candid and sincere than your average person, which is why they make such excellent companions. Why anybody keeps cats is beyond my understanding, 'tho. :D

I can say that my cat is especially affectionate when my kids are gone at their dad's. It's just me and the furry menace. I'd be very lonely if I didn't have him.

I don't think they do. An animal isn't capable of reciprocating whatever love and affection you give it. Even if a dog is bursting with joy when you walk through the door, ultimately it's because you're the one who provides the food.

Sling said:
I don't think they do. An animal isn't capable of reciprocating whatever love and affection you give it. Even if a dog is bursting with joy when you walk through the door, ultimately it's because you're the one who provides the food.

Spoken like someone who has never had a pet before. In my experience, pets can do a person a great amount of good. But they are a big responsibility. If one can handle being responsible for something else, it wouldn't be too hard on their wallet, and they have the time, I think everyone should have a pet.

Bread said:
Stepchild said:

I wouldn't concur on the notion of never getting mad at you, seen some dogs do some professional level sulking a couple of times. Those soulful eyes can turn to full-blown 'Et tu, brute!' mode when they feel neglected. :p

Still, true that they are more candid and sincere than your average person, which is why they make such excellent companions. Why anybody keeps cats is beyond my understanding, 'tho. :D

You maka me raff!

tangerinedream said:
I can say that my cat is especially affectionate when my kids are gone at their dad's. It's just me and the furry menace. I'd be very lonely if I didn't have him.

FURRY MANACE!
So true
I'm laughing

i've always been a loner. 10 years ago the last of my family died and that hit me harder than i thought it ever would. for the first time i felt truly alone- although not lonely. i did have a cat and she meant more to be than any human company. she gave me a sense of purpose - something to care and worry about. it broke my heart when i had to have her put to sleep 3 years ago and i missed her so much. i vowed never to have another pet but last year a couple of stray cats found their way here and i took them in. they make me laugh so much with their antics. they do make a difference.

Sling said:

What about those cases where dogs have been documented to go against their primal urge to survive and instead risk their lives to help/save a human companion? Is it because that person provides food? Or is it love?

I say it's love. Dogs could teach all of us a lot about love. I have a feeling that species understands it more than we do.

Sling said:

I don't know if it makes any difference even if their affection for you is just because you're the one who takes care of them. Just because it's a simpler emotion than what humans feel, it doesn't make it any less real or significant.

I love cats, especially mine. He follows me every where and sleeps on my bed. I have even received a mouse(a gift) or two from him. Yes it's gross if he brings me that, but I think this proves the love of animals to their owners. I also have a dog, but he's much closer to hubby, he's too big and too playful but he is protecrive of our family. I can't imagine not having them. Even when I'm sad Astrix seems to notice this and will lick me in sad times.

Ladysphinx said:
Even when I'm sad Astrix seems to notice this and will lick me in sad times.

Oh right, this brought back memories. Once when I was not doing all that good, hung my head and had the blues, one of the dogs came around and did a similar thing. This was one of the particular ones that didn't ever whine for attention or didn't go for much for placing his head on peoples' laps, yet this time he did. Did manage to comfort me a great deal, without words.

I still miss the little maniac a bit. :( This is saying even after he became dangerous and bit me through the palm of my hand, causing momentarily sight-loss inducing shock.

But before he went all nutty on us, this dog showed me more compassion than ninety five per cent of people in my life.

--

Then there's the dogs that remain in waiting for their masters who never come back from whatever misfortune has befallen them, and they die in waiting. I don't think there's any such level of loyalty between most men, or if it is, it's very, very rare.

In summary, pets are great. With the exception of cats. :p

Bread said:

731e70c39cfdefe6db5dc14f8d523baa.jpg

Bread said:

I don't think cats are that bad. I actually considered getting one, because some of them can be as social and friendly as dogs generally are. But since I've got virtually no social life, I'd have enough time to take care of a dog. Besides, it would be great to have someone to take me out on walks, get me out of the house even on days when I otherwise wouldn't have a reason to go anywhere.

Bread said:
I still miss the little maniac a bit. :( This is saying even after he became dangerous and bit me through the palm of my hand, causing momentarily sight-loss inducing shock.

But before he went all nutty on us, this dog showed me more compassion than ninety five per cent of people in my life.

Wow, that must have been traumatizing. I can't imagine how I'd feel if one of Mom's dogs went nuts all of a sudden. I trust them so completely. Do you know what it was that came over your dog?

Stepchild said:
I don't think cats are that bad. I actually considered getting one, because some of them can be as social and friendly as dogs generally are. But since I've got virtually no social life, I'd have enough time to take care of a dog. Besides, it would be great to have someone to take me out on walks, get me out of the house even on days when I otherwise wouldn't have a reason to go anywhere.

As said, they're great company and a fine excuse for a loner to get out and about in the fresh air.

Stepchild said:
Wow, that must have been traumatizing. I can't imagine how I'd feel if one of Mom's dogs went nuts all of a sudden. I trust them so completely. Do you know what it was that came over your dog?

I can't say for sure, I just remember his state kept getting worse over time, she was my sister's dog. The said incident with the shock state occured when I was leaning over the back of the sofa to talk to my brother sitting next to the dog, who was coiled next to him on the sofa. I sought to support myself by placing my hand on the end of the sofa, near his head, and I didn't really notice his growl as I was talking to my brother, and the dog went for my hand.

Eventually, he kept getting more aggressive and my he was put down. He was always a bit rattled, growling at shadows and the like, but mostly we just put that down as harmless quirks. :(

Bread said:
I can't say for sure, I just remember his state kept getting worse over time, she was my sister's dog. The said incident with the shock state occured when I was leaning over the back of the sofa to talk to my brother sitting next to the dog, who was coiled next to him on the sofa. I sought to support myself by placing my hand on the end of the sofa, near his head, and I didn't really notice his growl as I was talking to my brother, and the dog went for my hand.

Eventually, he kept getting more aggressive and my he was put down. He was always a bit rattled, growling at shadows and the like, but mostly we just put that down as harmless quirks. :(

That's really sad. I was just asking, because, as I'm sure you know, usually dogs are aggressive because of bad treatment, which obviously wasn't the case here. I wonder what could bring about such sudden aggressiveness. Maybe some disease, a brain tumor? Who knows.

Dogs are great, but inevitably you will have to deal with them leaving. I have dogs in my family and yea they really brings joy and peace of mind.

I admit I'm not good with dogs, living in the city I can't really let them loose and run around with all the cars and vehicles, I have to always keep them leashed outdoor, but if you have open areas around your house, it's really great to see them running around excited and chasing each other. They're like kids. (they just can't ask you questions).

Stepchild said:
That's really sad. I was just asking, because, as I'm sure you know, usually dogs are aggressive because of bad treatment, which obviously wasn't the case here. I wonder what could bring about such sudden aggressiveness. Maybe some disease, a brain tumor? Who knows.

Well, I'd guess he was some manner of pound dog as a pup, wasn't with the folks when they popped by and rescue him. No idea if he was mistreated, but I'm guessing that could just as well be possible. My money's on the idea that it was some manner of canine mental illness that finally made him a danger to those around him. *Sigh*

Lawrens said:
I admit I'm not good with dogs, living in the city I can't really let them loose and run around with all the cars and vehicles, I have to always keep them leashed outdoor, but if you have open areas around your house, it's really great to see them running around excited and chasing each other.

There's a forest nearby where I go on walks on my own now. That's the one good thing about where I live - you can't really go very far in any one direction without finding yourself in a forest (and/or at a lake).

A dog would be a great companion on my walks; it would make me feel less like a weird creep creeping around a random forest and actually make it obvious that I have a good reason to be there.

Bread said:
Well, I'd guess he was some manner of pound dog as a pup, wasn't with the folks when they popped by and rescue him. No idea if he was mistreated, but I'm guessing that could just as well be possible. My money's on the idea that it was some manner of canine mental illness that finally made him a danger to those around him. *Sigh*

Well, whatever the reason, it's really sad anyway. Fortunately you seem to have more good memories of him than bad ones.

Latest posts

Back