Do You Believe In "Soul Mates"?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually the idea of a soul mate is greek mythology adapted to newer 19th century ideals of marriage out of love instead of necessity. But I mean I've seen people meant for each other and I've seen people who just tolerate each other. I'm a romantic so I'd like to believe that there's some one out there for me and that I'll find that person one day

Christina Sarah said:
Skorian said:
It is all just some chemical reaction and belief.
Faith is the substance of all things hoped for; the evidence of things unseen.
Faith is fiction. Faith is pink dragons and smirfs. Naive and child like.

Oooh, are we playing the Definitions and Dictionary game? I have the answers:

Dictionary: Faith:

"noun
1 complete trust or confidence in someone or something : this restores one's faith in politicians.
2 strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."

Nothing about fiction, pink dragons or smirfs (smurfs?). Nothing about naivety and child like. But hey, people make up their own interpretations of many words, so I won't judge. I've even heard there's an organisation for people who chooses to believe that the Earth is flat.

My faith is very strong, but I just thought that I'd share a
remark with respect to the definition of "Faith" from Archie Bunker while the show "All In The Family" was on back in the 70's I believe. He said that faith is believing in something that doesn't make any sense to believe in. That remark doesn't alter my level of faith one bit, but it is an interesting take on it.

Soul mate as in someone that's incredibly compatible with you, yea I believe such a thing exists, but the possibility of running into such a person is quite low.

I have faith that the sun will rise tomorrow even if i don't see it.

No. I think if you can just get along with each other it's OK. Better than being alone.

Equinox said:
Oooh, are we playing the Definitions and Dictionary game? I have the answers:

Dictionary: Faith:

"noun
1 complete trust or confidence in someone or something : this restores one's faith in politicians.
2 strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."

Nothing about fiction, pink dragons or smirfs (smurfs?). Nothing about naivety and child like. But hey, people make up their own interpretations of many words, so I won't judge. I've even heard there's an organisation for people who chooses to believe that the Earth is flat.

This wasn't about definitions. I don't completely trust my own legs to not give out when walking. Has only happened a few time in life that I just fell on my ass, but that is enough to not have blind faith that they will never fail. So why would I completely trust anything else?

I am atheist. Enough said.

What do they call themselves? Flat heads?

A meteor strike or large enough volcano and the sun will not rise. Maybe it is best to not have blind faith. Perhaps you are asking for that to be tested.

Please forgive me Skorion, I don't mean to sound argumentative, but do you as an Atheist, feel that your views on the subject or any subject, makes any more sense than a believer's views?

LoneKiller said:
Please forgive me Skorion, I don't mean to sound argumentative, but do you as an Atheist, feel that your views on the subject or any subject, makes any more sense than a believer's views?

How is this about me? Can't talk about religion.

Skorian said:
LoneKiller said:

Your words: "Faith is fiction. Faith is pink dragons and smirfs. Naive and child like."

You are clearly bashing faith here. What about Atheism?
Does it make any more sense to be an Atheist? Yet you still typed the above sentence. Why?

I think a "soul mate" is some1 who you share a lot of passion and compliment each other, so yes.

LoneKiller said:
Skorian said:
LoneKiller said:

Your words: "Faith is fiction. Faith is pink dragons and smirfs. Naive and child like."

Does it make any more sense to be an Atheist? Yet you still typed the above sentence. Why?

Lonekiller we aren't' allowed to debate religion on the forum. It's a rule.

Just thought i'd let you know. :)

SophiaGrace said:
LoneKiller said:
Skorian said:
LoneKiller said:

You're right SophiaGrace. I know better. My bad.

LoneKiller said:
SophiaGrace said:
LoneKiller said:
Skorian said:
LoneKiller said:

You're right SophiaGrace. I know better. My bad.

*hugs*

It is just a fake metaphysical concept with no intrinsic value that does more harm than good. I meet my dad as an adult recently when I turned 28. It took me a day to find out he was lying, phony, flaky guy. Yet my mom was with and married to him for about four years before having me and did not figure it out till after she started a family with him, when I was about five or six to separate with him. Probably she would have imputed her foolishness at the time to love and the fact she is an inherent victim abused by his neglect and self-centered ways.

Lots of people take abuse and stay in situations they should exit much sooner because of this type of fake notion. If you think you need to someone else to complete you, you are setting yourself up for failure in life. With that mentality you can only ever drag other people down with your co-dependency. You have to have some base of internal stability first.

I do believe, but it's something very rare. like winning the lottery. you have to be very very lucky.
I knew my soulmate. but sadly, she died many years ago.

Nah, don't really belive in it. And even if it were true, good luck finding your soul mate amongst the many, many people of Earth. With any luck, they're at least on the same continent. :p

Latest posts

Back