Do You Believe In "Soul Mates"?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a friend once who I thought of as a soulmate, until my insecurities made me screw it all up.

To me, a soulmate isn't someone who'll stick around always no matter what. It's someone you just really connect with, and what you do about it and how you treat it is up to you. I'm glad my friend stopped speaking to me. She deserved better.

I don't believe in soulmates, but I do believe in chemistry.

To me, soulmates implies some sort of predestination, that this one person is the one and only fit for us.

I've always thought that there are dozens, maybe hundreds, of people we meet over the course of our lives, and if we're willing to open ourselves up to them in the right way, and vice versa, and both are willing to work around any insecurities and quirks the other has, any one of those dozens to hundreds could end up making us very happy.

In a way I guess. I believe there is someone who is the right one, someone you connect with. Where it's just like...they fall out of the sky and wham.

Equinox said:
I had a friend once who I thought of as a soulmate, until my insecurities made me screw it all up.

To me, a soulmate isn't someone who'll stick around always no matter what. It's someone you just really connect with, and what you do about it and how you treat it is up to you. I'm glad my friend stopped speaking to me. She deserved better.

This is always my problem too.

Anonymous Rex said:
I don't believe in soulmates, but I do believe in chemistry.

+1

There are definitely people that seem to fit better with us, but the idea of a soulmate is a bit fanatical.

I'm bringing this topic back because I just wanted to say that I've found mine.I met him when I was 16.I didn't believe in soulmates at all or even look for one,but when I found mine there was no denying it.I wanted to know what happened so I googled and found stories of other people who met theirs and had the exact same feelings ...so yes,I do believe something like that does exist even though it's pretty rare but really,nothing compares to looking in the eyes of your soulmate.Sorry,I'm a bit romantic today because I've just seen him once again today after a long time and I felt like I've been dead until he looked me in the eyes and and suddenly I was alive ...It's not lust at all...it's nothing like that...it's a deep connection on an emotional level.When anyone meets their soulmate,they'll just know.And it's always mutual.No questions will be asked.

Missing said:
I'm bringing this topic back because I just wanted to say that I've found mine.I met him when I was 16.I didn't believe in soulmates at all or even look for one,but when I found mine there was no denying it.I wanted to know what happened so I googled and found stories of other people who met theirs and had the exact same feelings ...so yes,I do believe something like that does exist even though it's pretty rare but really,nothing compares to looking in the eyes of your soulmate.Sorry,I'm a bit romantic today because I've just seen him once again today after a long time and I felt like I've been dead until he looked me in the eyes and and suddenly I was alive ...It's not lust at all...it's nothing like that...it's a deep connection on an emotional level.When anyone meets their soulmate,they'll just know.And it's always mutual.No questions will be asked.

Can I pick on your romantic bubble and ask you how old you are? I'm very happy for you but unless you're years and years away from 16 today, isn't it a bit too soon to talk like that? I've also had those feelings you had, and back then it felt like something that great simply had to last. (You probably have read enough between the lines by now, to know that it didn't). True love needs to ripe over years. And while I very much hope for you that you'll still be able to say you did in fact meet your soulmate in the distant future, I advice caution praising someone like that for now. Best of luck with your relationship either way :)

Missing said:
I wanted to know what happened so I googled and found stories of other people who met theirs and had the exact same feelings ...

skeptical-cat-is-fraught-with-skepticism.jpg

But seriously if you're happy then well done to you.

Polar said:
Missing said:

Can I pick on your romantic bubble and ask you how old you are? I'm very happy for you but unless you're years and years away from 16 today, isn't it a bit too soon to talk like that? I've also had those feelings you had, and back then it felt like something that great simply had to last. (You probably have read enough between the lines by now, to know that it didn't). True love needs to ripe over years. And while I very much hope for you that you'll still be able to say you did in fact meet your soulmate in the distant future, I advice caution praising someone like that for now. Best of luck with your relationship either way :)

I'm 18 :) Ofcourse true love needs to ripe over years.This is totally different.Many soulmates don't even end up together.It's a different connection.An instant one.Something clicks and then just BOOM you know this person has something to do with you.You could swear you'd known them before even though you didn't.Thing is,if you make this relationship work with all its terrifying intensity it will be a very rewarding one because other people won't even come close to making you feel the same and you'll only realise how dull normal dates are when you experience this.Because you don't actually have to make an effort to pretend you're interested in the other person and like see if it will go smoothly.You connect on every level possible.It's all in the eyes though...you might see the person and not know,You'll only feel this when you both look at each other at the same time.You will be shocked.
Also we discovered we had alot of things in common.Both our fathers died when we were children.Turns out his friends call him the same nickname I call my bestfriend which is weird because it's nothing to do with both their names.A random name.
I don't really know,but I'm saying what I experienced.You don't have to believe it and ofcourse it's unhealthy to live only looking for a soulmate.This is silly.But what I'm saying is,it won't hurt you not to reject the idea.It might happen to you one day. And yes,I've looked into so many pretty eyes and was never moved.Those brown eyes just leave me breathless...

LOL whatever sorry for long post.I'm going to bed :D

Lost Drifter said:
Missing said:
I wanted to know what happened so I googled and found stories of other people who met theirs and had the exact same feelings ...

skeptical-cat-is-fraught-with-skepticism.jpg

But seriously if you're happy then well done to you.

:p

Missing said:
Polar said:
Missing said:

I'm 18 :) Ofcourse true love needs to ripe over years.This is totally different.Many soulmates don't even end up together.It's a different connection.An instant one.Something clicks and then just BOOM you know this person has something to do with you.You could swear you'd known them before even though you didn't.Thing is,if you make this relationship work with all its terrifying intensity it will be a very rewarding one because other people won't even come close to making you feel the same and you'll only realise how dull normal dates are when you experience this.Because you don't actually have to make an effort to pretend you're interested in the other person and like see if it will go smoothly.You connect on every level possible.It's all in the eyes though...you might see the person and not know,You'll only feel this when you both look at each other at the same time.You will be shocked.
Also we discovered we had alot of things in common.Both our fathers died when we were children.Turns out his friends call him the same nickname I call my bestfriend which is weird because it's nothing to do with both their names.A random name.
I don't really know,but I'm saying what I experienced.You don't have to believe it and ofcourse it's unhealthy to live only looking for a soulmate.This is silly.But what I'm saying is,it won't hurt you not to reject the idea.It might happen to you one day. And yes,I've looked into so many pretty eyes and was never moved.Those brown eyes just leave me breathless...

LOL whatever sorry for long post.I'm going to bed :D

I don't believe in a single person being your soulmate I'm afraid :), I do believe in a form of soulmates, said so earlier in this topic somewhere. But that kind of thinking got me hurt. Still that's a nice post, I recognize a lot that you are saying. And if I can find someone again who I have those things with as well, I'll be incredibly grateful because I know it is rare.
Anyway I'm happy for you. Sleep tight :)

I do believe that there are people in this world we are meant to meet and will affect great change in our lives as we will do to theirs. The problem with the world today is people are too quick to give up on things related to hope and dreams. I don't think I could ever un-believe in soul mates as I grew up with parents who've been each other's dreams since they were 3rd graders. My father always told us that during there time, there were no cellphones nor internet but they've managed to be together after years of no contact due to my mother's parents meddling. I think their story is one in a million, cheesy as it may seem, but it's real, that's all I need to know.

I believe in soul mates, but not in 1 soul mate. I think there are far more than 1 person out there that you are compatible with.

Sadly no, not anymore. But I think maybe I will be better off that way, I've always held the belief in this mystical female being that will appear one day and make it all worthwhile and wash all the rubbish out of my life. But i don't think it works that way. You need to decide to commit to a person, work at it and hope for a certain
amount of luck that you have made a good choice.

If I meet someone and live out the rest of my life with them and believe at the end I could not have asked for a better person to spend my life with then maybe that may change my view but hindsight is a luxury I dont have at the moment. So I am gonna ditch this vision for the time being. I mean what if you meet your soul mate and screw it up anyway!?

The Good Citizen said:
Sadly no, not anymore. But I think maybe I will be better off that way, I've always held the belief in this mystical female being that will appear one day and make it all worthwhile and wash all the rubbish out of my life. But i don't think it works that way. You need to decide to commit to a person, work at it and hope for a certain
amount of luck that you have made a good choice.

If I meet someone and live out the rest of my life with them and believe at the end I could not have asked for a better person to spend my life with then maybe that may change my view but hindsight is a luxury I dont have at the moment. So I am gonna ditch this vision for the time being. I mean what if you meet your soul mate and screw it up anyway!?

^^ This.

I think it's easy to believe stuff like this after you've found them. For a single, lonely person finding soul mate is more like a dream than a belief.

Latest posts

Back