Do you ever get so lonely that you have full conversations with yourself?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllAlone1

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if it's just me, I do this alot, even though with my job I am around people about 50-60% of my day I still feel the need to have conversations with myself, I guess because the conversations with them aren't the ones I really want. Sometimes I even rehearse by myself, how I would handle certain conversation for certain situations with people that are either in my life or people I wish were in my life though are imaginary at this point but I never really get to have most of these actual conversation with the people I want to or wish to for whatever reason!!! Please tell me I'm not the only one!!!

ROFLMAO!! I was just doing that! Seriously, I need to order parts and I was having a discussion with myself about it. I do this all the time, especially at work since I mostly work alone. When people catch me the either laugh or look at me weird. Some think I was talking to someone so they didn't want to interrupt me.

Sci-Fi said:
Some think I was talking to someone so they didn't want to interrupt me.

LMAO!!! now that's funny!!! But I guess with today's technology and all, you could easily be mistaken for being on your Bluetooth!!! Lol!!

I posted the same question on here a while back and was pleased to find out that I’m not the only one. It’s come to the point where I have debates and reviews, like I’ll go over the days events (out loud) to myself or make plans on things to do just to fill up the silence sometimes. You’re in good company. ;)

Thanks Lost Drifter!!! It's definitely nice to be in good company!!! LOL!! I sometimes too have debates with myself as well, but they are usually more like arguments and verbal fights over how I handled something or how I want to handle something, so much so to the point that sometimes I cuss myself out!!! Yeah I know, I'm officially crazy!!!

Lost Drifter said:
Join the club...my late night solo rants about myself have become a regular thing. I may even record them one of these days :)

Wow Recording??!! Yeah I don't think I'm brave enough to do something like that!!! I don't like how my voice sounds on recordings anyway they always freak me out!!! lol

Fortunately I've not yet caught myself referencing my name in third person or anything, but I do tend to debate things with myself sometimes.

Weirdly, I find I work better if I talk to myself about the concepts as I do it sometimes.

When no one is around, I even sometimes debate my hobbies or day schedule with myself a little bit. It's quite pathetic, but it beats just staring at the wall I suppose :rolleyes:

^ Yep.

I've never referenced myself in the third person either, I hate saying my name or telling people my name outloud. I don't know why but I do.

Yeah I do, literally every day. I usually plan out my day and what I'm going to do, I'll talk about the weather, what I'm going to do, what work I need to complete, and what video game to play at night. Anything at all really. :club:

Lol.

I haven’t reached the third-person level just yet, more of the “so you sure messed up that meeting huh?” kind of self-talk, but I agree that talking out work projects helps to put them in perspective when they exist outside of your head.

It’s like I’m my own Tyler Durden sometimes, minus the cool.

I've had imaginary conversations......like if I see somebody in a cafe etc.....I think what would it be like if I went up and said hi....you know how would the conversation go......but of course I'm too shy to do that and most likely if I did it would end yp looking weird.

Jack Tripper said:
I've had imaginary conversations......like if I see somebody in a cafe etc.....I think what would it be like if I went up and said hi....you know how would the conversation go......but of course I'm too shy to do that and most likely if I did it would end yp looking weird.

That's exactly what I meant by having imaginary conversations with imaginary people or I will just make up like a beautiful woman and imagine how different conversations would go!!!

TheSolitaryMan said:
It's quite pathetic, but it beats just staring at the wall I suppose :rolleyes:

I don't think it's pathetic a little quirky maybe but not pathetic. Lol! I have never referenced myself in third person either but I do feel at times that I have a split personality or something even though that other personality doesn't like take over me or anything like that but it does feel like there is someone else in here sharing this mind, body, and soul with me which is why I think I find myself doing these things from time to time!!!

Lost Drifter said:
It’s like I’m my own Tyler Durden sometimes, minus the cool.

Yeah he did make that look very cool didn't he?? Lol!!

i never talk out loud to myself, my therapist recommended that i do a few weeks ago.

but i do it internally, in my own head.

then when i go to sleep i like to pretend i'm with a girl sometimes... maybe that's why i need another pillow to hug? i prefer to think is for the support of my body...

For a few months now I have been recording myself talking on camera about different things that I'm doing or what's on my mind, but not so much to talk to myself.. but in a sense..it is because I don't plan on showing anyone the vids. lol.

Yes, I am guilty! I also rehearse potential conversations with others. I'm the kind of person who considers all the possible outcomes of situations, and I try to prepare myself. 90% of the time, they never happen! lol
Do you talk to yourself in the mirror?

acedna said:
Yes, I am guilty! I also rehearse potential conversations with others. I'm the kind of person who considers all the possible outcomes of situations, and I try to prepare myself. 90% of the time, they never happen! lol
Do you talk to yourself in the mirror?

Yes, Yes, Yes!!! Wow that's definitely me!!! I tend to over-analyze alot of diffrent things even things that arent exactly happening in my life at the moment but I would like to happen which is why I can definitely identify with you on that!! Now I know I am officially not alone in my quirky ways!! Lol! Thank you for bringing that up!!! And usually when I do talk to myself there is usually a mirror around but not all the time, but u definitely hit home for me with that one!!!

AllAlone1 said:
I'm just wondering if it's just me, I do this alot, even though with my job I am around people about 50-60% of my day I still feel the need to have conversations with myself, I guess because the conversations with them aren't the ones I really want. Sometimes I even rehearse by myself, how I would handle certain conversation for certain situations with people that are either in my life or people I wish were in my life though are imaginary at this point but I never really get to have most of these actual conversation with the people I want to or wish to for whatever reason!!! Please tell me I'm not the only one!!!

I do this all the time. I re-hearse conversations with myself. I imagine myself in a past scenario where I'd converse with someone, it's like I give my self a second chance within my imagination. I speak out sometimes as though there's someone with me to listen meanwhile I'm alone. The funniest is when I repeat some of the words I've said to people in the past just to remind myself of what I sounded like, then I chuckle :D

Latest posts

Back