Do you ever get so lonely that you have full conversations with yourself?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a lot of grunting here in redneck country so I have to talk to myself to hear anything remotely interesting. :p

Slightly more embarrassing aspect to my self-talking I forgot to mention, but perhaps you guys'll find it amusing: I sometimes practice flirting in the mirror briefly, as though I'm replying to a girl :shy:

Generally I think of things I'd be way too hesitant and polite to say in real life. Sort of the things I'd only ever say to a girlfriend or wife.

It does sort of work to some extent though. I've occasionally come out with some delightfully flirty things to ladies in the past purely based on things I thought of while shaving or something in the morning.

Judging by the smiles and slightly reddened faces, it's probably the most productive form of chatting to myself like a lunatic! :p

ABSO-*******-LUTELY ALL THE TIME ALL DAY EVERY DAY

....and quite frankly, I bore/annoy the fresia out of me

I'm a writer (you know, one of them cuckoos that live in their heads?), so naturally I have a ton of conversations with nonexistent personalities. It's a strange thing really. I sometimes fancy living in their world as opposed to this one. When I "wake" up, the sudden realization that I'm alone and naked becomes too painful.

Fortunately it only lasts for a few seconds.

Of course I do. Sometimes I just talk to myself, always in my mind, never out loud, sometimes I pretend I'm talking to someone else. This self-conversations seems awkward, but I don't have anyone else to cheer me up or to listen to me besides myself, so hey, I have to find a way to not go crazy and become overwhelmed by it, so I just talk to myself.

I talk to myself at work a lot (reminding myself to remember to do certain things). Luckily, there's usually no one in the office but me.
Oh...and sometimes it's the most intelligent conversation I'll have all day. :D

Dragonfriend said:
I'm a writer (you know, one of them cuckoos that live in their heads?), so naturally I have a ton of conversations with nonexistent personalities. It's a strange thing really. I sometimes fancy living in their world as opposed to this one. When I "wake" up, the sudden realization that I'm alone and naked becomes too painful.

Fortunately it only lasts for a few seconds.

I do that too, develop characters in my head, personalities, story lines, the whole bit. Except for the naked part, that's completely voluntary. :D I do this many times to help me go to sleep at night instead of worry about what is bothering me.

Dragonfriend said:
When I "wake" up, the sudden realization that I'm alone and naked becomes too painful.

I hope I don't sound too creepy when I say I doubt your nakedness or any woman's for that matter could ever really be painful! LOL!

TheSolitaryMan said:
Slightly more embarrassing aspect to my self-talking I forgot to mention, but perhaps you guys'll find it amusing: I sometimes practice flirting in the mirror briefly, as though I'm replying to a girl :shy:

Generally I think of things I'd be way too hesitant and polite to say in real life. Sort of the things I'd only ever say to a girlfriend or wife.

It does sort of work to some extent though. I've occasionally come out with some delightfully flirty things to ladies in the past purely based on things I thought of while shaving or something in the morning.

Judging by the smiles and slightly reddened faces, it's probably the most productive form of chatting to myself like a lunatic! :p

I can definitely identify with this cause I do it all the time but its more wishful thinking than anything else, cause they are conversations I wish I had with women rather than actual ones! LOL!

- I must be really lonely because I have conversations with myself in dreams.

- Seriously, I am not sure how it is possible to be able to talk, respond, and carry on a conversation in your dream state and be fully aware of it with no pictures in a total pitch black void.

- During those times, I am more or less cognitive and think of questions to ask myself and respond.

- And, it is normally the male side of me, the feminine side of me (not effeminate), and the rational part of me; or, it is the good side of me, the bad/evil of side me, and the neutral/rational/pragmatic side of me - sometimes, in the black void where this occurs during "dream" time, "we" are sitting at a small round table.

I frequently converse with myself.

Not from loneliness, however.

I find that vocalizing my thoughts aloud is quite helpful in allowing me to analyze my thoughts in a way that just can't be done in my head. It may sound stupid... but really, some things, when voiced aloud, acquire a different context than is found in one's own mind. So I'm quite often talking to myself when I'm making decisions or going over the things I've recently thought, or when thinking about subjects that require a lot of thought and processing.

Also, I often read my presentations aloud and prepare for lectures aloud when I'm doing other mundane tasks. I'm a teacher and a historian, and I'm frequently giving presentations and lectures for various associations, groups, history exhibits, etc etc etc. So it's important for me to be able to communicate very concisely and very well the information I need to convey on such occasions.

Don't get the idea that I walk around in public muttering under my breath, however. :p

Most of this is done when I'm alone and doing boring tasks like driving or making a sandwich.

Regarding the original question, I've been conversing with myself my whole life, though not necessarily because of loneliness.

Sometimes I talk to myself...sometimes I talk to people who aren't even here. But usually, I just go online and find some people and annoy the hell out of them with my rambling. Like today....

Latest posts

Back