Do you ever wonder who you would be without your loneliness/depression?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SophiaGrace

I can't even concieve of myself without these things.

This is a problem because in order to get better I have to figure out who I would be if I were "better".

SophiaGrace said:
Moe said:
I don't know. Happy, maybe?

I hate to ask this, but, what is happiness?

Maybe I would be a bit more calm and unupsettable.

It's a fleeting emotion that marks something very good happening to you.

Happiness and euphoria are probably 2 sides of the same coin. Both can be temporary.
I find happines to be a feeling of joy and optimism that is in response to your own life experiences.

Yes.. I kind of think I'd be way more social and a stronger person emotionally. I know everyone gets lonely and depressed at times though. And even if I didn't have those, I'd still have other weaknesses like each person does.

This might be slightly off topic but, I've done thinking about this lately and people who have a nice job/family/house seem to have it all together, but, in reality that's not always true. I was talking with someone about this and it's a distortion of thought to think people who aren't depressed have it all together. Maybe complete satisfaction in life is having a balance of each thing we all want. Not too much, not too little. Not easy to maintain because of the need of balance.

SophiaGrace said:
is satisfaction an aspect of happiness too?

I think satisfaction, contentment, and just generally feeling "good" are what happiness is. A collective term for various positive emotions and feelings.

As for who I'd be, I'm not sure. Removing those components of my life would probably mean radically altering my childhood so I wasn't bullied, in which case I'd probably be some award-winning scientist revolutionizing the entire field I worked in, or something. I know I have the intelligence to do it, but it's been decades since I had the willpower and motivation to do something like that with my life, and I have enough of a difficult time just coping with life at its most basic right now.

SophiaGrace said:
perfanoff said:
SophiaGrace said:
Moe said:
I don't know. Happy, maybe?

I hate to ask this, but, what is happiness?

Maybe I would be a bit more calm and unupsettable.

It's a fleeting emotion that marks something very good happening to you.

I thought that was euphoria.

You ask me if I'm happy. Sure, why not? But am I REALLY happy? Nope.

I was only completely happy in the moment when I graduated. First kiss. When I fell in love and she returned the feelings. When I got a job. So isn't it pretty much a fleeting feeling? Sure, I'm going to be "happier" if I get more good things going my way, but in reality my feelings would be the same after I get used to them.

I always thought there were many kinds of happiness, the fleeting kind, the kind that has you smilling all day, sometimes its euphoria, sometimes an abundance of joy, sometimes, just a peaceful or contented feeling. And then there are varying degrees of all these feelings.

Do I ever wonder what I'd be like if I weren't lonely/depressed? I'm not depressed anymore so that's good, but I imagine life would be more enjoyable if I were not lonely and that motivates me.

Happiness, defined primarily by is the absence of fear of death... oh wait, maybe that's euphoria...

I think that I would feel more substantial, that I exist fully, the same way that self confident people seem to do. Most of the time I feel that I am only half existing and am insubstantial, as if I could float away, as there is noone to keep me grounded.

I am this way so long, I think it became a main point of my personality... that I would be unrecognizable.. a social, happy version of me, I think it could not even be a version of me, but completely different person. It is a scary thought.

fox said:
I am this way so long, I think it became a main point of my personality... that I would be unrecognizable.. a social, happy version of me, I think it could not even be a version of me, but completely different person. It is a scary thought.

That's how I feel and it scares me too, fox.

Yes, all the time. I know if I could retrace my steps and fix maybe 2 or 3 big mistakes I've made in my life, everything would be different. I'd assume it's like that for most people. But I wasn't always depressed and lonely, when I was in elementary/middle school I was actually an extremely happy-go-lucky, outgoing kid. I wish I had hung onto those traits. If I thought the same way now as I did when I was 12 I'd probably be unstoppable, lol. Somewhere along the way I just started sliding...

Latest posts

Back