Do You Sense EVIL Growing In the World? You are RIGHT!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will say that I do have concerns that we may have some sort of "event" before elections. Willie Nelson also recently publically stated this concern. As have many others.

Bush better not stay in office even a single day past his term. We better not elect another idiot who is just like him either or we are in big trouble.

We need to lock down our borders and stop helping terrorists gain more recruits by killing their people. It just makes us look bad and hands them more power. The underdog no matter who they are always gets sympathy from others. Just like Rome did to Christians back in the day. Let them make themselves look bad to their own people and they can deal with each other. The vast majority of that part of the world already hates what they are doing and will stop them if we aren't in the way. It's none of our buisness.

We need to lock down our borders and stop helping terrorists gain more recruits by killing their people. It just makes us look bad and hands them more power. The underdog no matter who they are always gets sympathy from others. Just like Rome did to Christians back in the day. Let them make themselves look bad to their own people and they can deal with each other. The vast majority of that part of the world already hates what they are doing and will stop them if we aren't in the way. It's none of our buisness.

This is off-topic, but I think that's a bit of a blanket statement which is far from true. Studying from an antropological and historical perspective actually shows the opposite - the application of force almost always is equated later with justice: the "might make right" principle and Churchill's famous quote of "Victors write the history."

There's been a general loss of personal freedom, for example, as societies evolved from hunter-gathering bands(almost completely equal) to chiefdoms(where they had one big boss to obey) to tribes(where they had a ruling caste) to states(where we have an entire ruling organization plus a specialized caste/group enforcing the previous organization). Nonetheless, this progression tends to continue simply because larger and better organized methods of society were more capable of depriving them of resources in a scarse world.

The much touted Afghan/Soviet war, to use a historical example, had less to do with the sole presence of rebelling Afghans and more to do with the United State's active intervention in assisting the Afghans. Coupled with a weak economy and being forced to keep up spending with the Americans, the Soviet Union crumbled. This is neither inevitable nor would the same had occurred without US intervention. The 2nd Chechen War would see the Russians face off against an entrenched army with multinational support from almost all the former southern Soviet sattelite states. It ended with the slaughter of almost all Chechen men and boys over eight, followed by the imposition of a new friendly regime, marked by an almost total nonviolence - and no sanctioned violence by army against a victim population does not count. Chechnya is a story of a successful occupation.

And yet we don't hear that much about it. I think the fact that we are occupiers is less important than the spin that we get on the news. We are portrayed as evil occupiers, therefore we suffer the effects of that portrayal. If we pull out, we will be portrayed as cowards who left children to die. Objectively, we're from a far freer and offer far more promise to Iraq than our enemies do, but in the end, perspective matters much more than reality. And unlike the Russians and Viceroy Putin, we fight a very poor propaganda war.

Regards,
IO

Your spin is way dangerous. For one because if Rome had never fallen to dictators it is much more likely that it would still exist today. A single leader can never provide stable leadership. It's just not even possible. Unless you’re talking about those extremely rare individuals with the wisdom of men like say Gandhi. It will lead to more and greater corruption in the end. All their friends will be part of the ruling class and all the rest will be essentially slaves. So that the polarization will lead to a less capable state which will lead to a slow collapse in on itself. It will lead to absolute freedom of that ruling class and little to no freedom to anyone else. The only possible end will always be collapse because the very act of an overlord class leads to a nation essentially bleeding it's capablities and throwing away possibilities. It's like cutting the head off of a body.

Also the means to the end of becoming what we once hated will destroy us. Unquestionably. Not to mention your theory of history is on history that is to close to the present to know what will really become of it. It's likely that that society (Chechen) will seek revenge at some time in the future and will carry a dire grudge for centuries.

By declaring war on terror, you polarize all those who are with you and those who don't like what you are doing or stand for. Even those who have a good heart will likely sympathize with the underdog and end up joining forces with them. Which is liable to lead to World War 3 on possibly a total global scale. Like nothing that has ever happened before. This isn't a war against even a nation of people, but a global concept and idea. There is a growing movement calling for civil war here in the US.... If you weren't aware. They have nothing in common with the so-called terrorists, but in the end could end up joining forces just out of little other choice. All because the US here is getting desperate and overly hostile. At a time when our economies bubble is in danger of bursting and our money becoming worth only the value of the paper it is printed on. All our loans from China could be demanded almost at any time. Money wise we can't afford to fight in Iraq at all. Everything we do is borrowed or is prayed for with printed money that raises inflation and is a secret tax some people don't know about, that lowers the value of the dollar by putting more money in circulation.

Violence breads anarchy. It is like a contagious disease. Especially when there is no way to actually put an end to it. This is why the only solution to what is going on is a diplomatic solution. There is no way to kill an Idea. Just like there was no way to kill Christianity.

Just the fact that so call terrorists are 2 or even 3 times more powerful now then they were when the whole thing started should be evidence enough of how flawed our policies are. And still they are an extremely feeble a force as they aren’t even a nation of people, but scattered rebels. They could never even launch a direct assault. The very idea of even contemplating killing a whole nation of people is insane. Not to mention they have connections the world over. There is and will be greater and greater backlash. We create our own damning fire. We dig our own grave to lie in. For no better reason then fear, ignorance, arrogance, and blatant stupidity.

As far as Russia goes, it was corrupt which is what really lead to its collapse. Which is the same thing that always leads to every nations collapse. Every single one. The fact that we embrace corruption will lead to our own collapse and our enemies are counting on it.

Propaganda can't stop the truth. The truth is not just whatever you want it to be. There is truth. Even if people can't see it. Denying the truth is foolhardy. The very ideal of spinning a story instead of people just reporting on their opinion and what they see is the very foundation of corruption.

As far as us having a very poor propaganda war. I think that is a lie that just shows how deep the rabbit hole goes. If you compare small scale media to large scale. I think you will find very different stories. Mainstream media only does a decent job on rare occasions and such has been the case for a long time. Everyone in media should state "their" oppinions. That is their job. When they don't then it put's a whole country at risk from self destructing itself.

Skorian said:
Your spin is way dangerous. For one because if Rome had never fallen to dictators it is much more likely that it would still exist today.

Entirely not true.

The fall of the Republic was due to fundamental systematic issues, and the Republic had plenty of opportuities for it to have avoided it. Consul Sulla had already clearly demonstrated the fundamental weakness of the Republic by the 80s BC and gave Romans the single best lesson on how fragile their system was, before giving it back to the Republic so that they could preserve it. They didn't. Among other things, the inequality between the plebs and the patricians had come to a head: the patricians had no intention of giving any more power to the plebs, while the plebs no longer had any faith that the patricians cared for them.

Had Julius Caesar choked to death on a chicken bone, some other consul would have taken down the Republic. The appearance of potential dictators was only a symptom of the systematic failure of the Republic, not the cause of the disease.

As it was, Imperial Rome probably added hundreds of years to her existence and even gave us Pax Romana.

Also the means to the end of becoming what we once hated will destroy us. Unquestionably. Not to mention your theory of history is on history that is to close to the present to know what will really become of it. It's likely that that society (Chechen) will seek revenge at some time in the future and will carry a dire grudge for centuries.

Every single sattelite state of Russia holds a dire grudge against the Russian bear. If every single dire grudge spelled disaster, we wouldn't have a single modern state. All nations were constructed by conquest.

By declaring war on terror, you polarize all those who are with you and those who don't like what you are doing or stand for.

Whereas doing nothing is not any better. Lord Chamberlain's lax policy toward Germany more than likely resulted in extention of the Holocaust and quite possibly was the cause of WW2 at the scale which it had occurred.

Even those who have a good heart will likely sympathize with the underdog and end up joining forces with them.

Who has a good heart? You? Me? The guy next door?

With the appropriate perspective, almost any cause or side can be made understandable. Ultimately, it is only disguised selfishness. Individuals and nations with a vested interest in seeing the decline of US power will speak(and more importantly, act) against us. Individuals and nations with a vested interest in seeing the perpetuation of US power will aid us.

To return to the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, the United States opposed the Soviet Union and invested in the mujihadeen not because we were ideologically connected with the mujihadeen, but because the decline of Soviet power was to our advantage. Likewise, the investment in Iraqi insurgents by Iran against Coalition forces has less to do with Iranian sympathies with the rebels and more to do with an attempt to weaken US holdings in the area.

In almost every event in history, you'll see that the great majority of activities was driven more significantly by self-interest and benefit than by an ideology to "help the underdog." Even great men, such as the early union organizers, sought to assist the downtrodden to help "their people" against the evil "other." Had roles suddenly reversed between the workers and the employers, I do not believe that most of them would not have changed their sympathies. They would have felt that their other deserved everything that came for them.

In fact, if history shows us anything, we tend to root for the victor. Few grieve for the annihilation of Carthage by Rome, but many vouch for Roman greatness. Soviet atrocities against the vanquished German population are rarely even acknowledged, nor the use of concentration camps by British forces against the Boers. History is written by the people, the people who vouch for the victors and villify the defeated.

So that, too, answers your thoughts about the truth as well. People follow the truth which they believe, and act accordingly. I have far more faith in the actions of people than their words, and history(both in what it reveals and what it excludes) gives us an excellent record of how people actually reacted in like circumstances.

This is very off-topic, so I'll end this conversation with this post, but I'll have to say that I believe you have a far more optimistic view of humanity than I do. I don't believe I'm spinning, sadly, though I wish that I was. I believe that I'm being realistic, and that we are ultimately, a pretty **** selfish, short-sighted and violent species. If any of us weren't, our genes probably wouldn't remain around for too long - pledging to remain with the loser is a good way to find yourself joining the loser in the hereafter. There have been some experiments done that show that we're essentially conditioned by nature to identify with the stronger force, insofar as it can also serve our self-interest.

Fortunately, I do think that that same ugliness also accounts for much of our beauty.

“In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.”

Regards,
IO

PS: In statistical analysis, the "underdog effect" you refer to, in supporting the trailing candidate in a contest, appears to be equally negated by the "bandwagon effect" of individuals that rally to the winning candidate. I theorize since historically, individuals tend to rally to the winning side, it is more than likely because most individuals also saw an opportunity to advantage themselves. In politics, this is known as "strategic voting" by telling voters "not to waste your vote" on an candidate that's going to lose anyway, but rather to vote for the less-matched(but winning) candidate that may not totally agree with the target voters, but will nonetheless benefit the target voters. This is a documented and very effective strategy, proven over and over again, and is one of the reasons why American politics has come to become dominated only by two parties.

PPS: Amarr prevails.

I just wanted to say that you guys are really brilliant and I enjoy reading you wax poetic on life, the universe, and everything! :)

PS Yes, I love Douglas Adams

lonelygirl said:
I just wanted to say that you guys are really brilliant and I enjoy reading you wax poetic on life, the universe, and everything! :)

PS Yes, I love Douglas Adams

The great philosopher of our age, I grin. Glad you liked it.

Entirely not true.

The fall of the Republic was due to fundamental systematic issues, and the Republic had plenty of opportunities for it to have avoided it. Consul Sulla had already clearly demonstrated the fundamental weakness of the Republic by the 80s BC and gave Romans the single best lesson on how fragile their system was, before giving it back to the Republic so that they could preserve it. They didn't. Among other things, the inequality between the plebs and the patricians had come to a head: the patricians had no intention of giving any more power to the plebs, while the plebs no longer had any faith that the patricians cared for them.

Had Julius Caesar choked to death on a chicken bone, some other consul would have taken down the Republic. The appearance of potential dictators was only a symptom of the systematic failure of the Republic, not the cause of the disease.

As it was, Imperial Rome probably added hundreds of years to her existence and even gave us Pax Romana.

Well, this is all speculation.

The problem isn’t that Julius wasn’t an exceptional man. The problem is that rarely do such people get replaced with equals and it creates a power vacuum where people allow such a void to be filled. It’s not as likely that you will get 100 wickedly corrupt people as just 1. At least with the 100, lesser corrupt will fight against the worst of the worst from a near equal footing. Giving some amount of balance and stability. The fact that the most corrupt have no qualms about taking a dictatorship station by whatever means, makes it so that such a spot is more then likely going to be filled by bastards in most cases. Which is the fatal flaw with such governments. If you can’t even elect good people most of the time. How in heavens name will you ever fill the station of a dictator with someone of wisdom and compassion? At least when it’s their children you get some chance that they won’t be sociopathic monsters, but that is little consolation.

Every single sattelite state of Russia holds a dire grudge against the Russian bear. If every single dire grudge spelled disaster, we wouldn't have a single modern state. All nations were constructed by conquest.

This is total nonsense. Working together with others and becoming friends can form a nation. Nations of people who share similar dreams and aspirations. Why work against someone when you can just work with them? No one can be squashed like an ant and just made to obey. It will result in despise and rebellion. What slave or downtrodden has actually ever loved a cruel master? Not one. Such would be a very sickly love and is sure to include hate. Maybe they wouldn’t rebel instantly, but eventually. The only way around this is to kill every living soul that might rise up against you. Which will result in collateral damage. Nothing is really gained in such wasteful acts.

Whereas doing nothing is not any better. Lord Chamberlain's lax policy toward Germany more than likely resulted in extension of the Holocaust and quite possibly was the cause of WW2 at the scale which it had occurred.

We can’t see the future. Which makes it deadly to try to prevent anything since you never know what will be what. You can’t declare someone guilty simply because, they could be guilty. It’s just totally insane. Such acts will quite simply create a miserable even more unlivable world. Lead to greater rebellions and greater escalating violence. You do the right thing as best you can and hope for the best. War should always be a last resort, when there can be no question as to it being the only option. As far as Islam trying to create one large state. They have been trying to unify the Arab peoples for 100’s of years. They are no closer now then they have ever been. We are more likely to cause another holocaust by meddling then by keeping out of what is going on in the Middle East. This is why terrorists are acting as they are. In the hopes that pulling us into the Middle East will make other none violent Arabs join forces with them against westerners. Which will result in stuff of nightmares. It’s kinda like a grizzly that mauls a person. From then on every time it sees a person it’s that much more likely to do it again. Such is one reason why violence breeds violence. Why it often tends to escalate.

Who has a good heart? You? Me? The guy next door?

With the appropriate perspective, almost any cause or side can be made understandable. Ultimately, it is only disguised selfishness. Individuals and nations with a vested interest in seeing the decline of US power will speak(and more importantly, act) against us. Individuals and nations with a vested interest in seeing the perpetuation of US power will aid us.

I don’t care what some people say about some things, no matter what. There are some causes, which I can’t condone. The people your talking about don’t believe in anything at all, which makes them spineless worms who stand for nothing, but their own greed. If the US “government” becomes overly corrupt and stands for evil, then it must die. It’s as simple as that. The US itself is “its people” and not “its government”. There is a huge distinction. Our government is not the US. Especially if it fails to do what the people want it to. Of course our government wants to brainwash the weak minded that it is the US and that the people aren’t. It can even use this to justify turning on it’s own people. Changing laws to allow the subjugation of it’s own population. As far as US power is concerned, I couldn’t care less. All we need is the power to defend ourselves when we must. We need nothing more. Did you know there are stories of Jews who are still around from World War II who are now leaving the US saying that they see to many similarities now to what happened in Germany around that time?

To return to the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, the United States opposed the Soviet Union and invested in the mujihadeen not because we were ideologically connected with the mujihadeen, but because the decline of Soviet power was to our advantage. Likewise, the investment in Iraqi insurgents by Iran against Coalition forces has less to do with Iranian sympathies with the rebels and more to do with an attempt to weaken US holdings in the area.

Are you so certain that it was to our advantage? Many people lived lives dedicated to standing against the USSR. It gave their lives purpose. For as corrupt as the USSR was it gave us a stability that we will likely never see again. It also gave us the example of what not to do. It’s quite possible that now that it’s gone, we are lost and slowly just becoming more so. Which is why we are becoming what we once hated. Maybe now we will become the USSR or Germany. Since they are gone.

In almost every event in history, you'll see that the great majority of activities was driven more significantly by self-interest and benefit than by an ideology to "help the underdog." Even great men, such as the early union organizers, sought to assist the downtrodden to help "their people" against the evil "other." Had roles suddenly reversed between the workers and the employers, I do not believe that most of them would not have changed their sympathies. They would have felt that their other deserved everything that came for them.

The fact that so many will die in the defense of others blows a total hole in your depressing theory. I don’t think you can so easily disentangle the two anyways. Many times people help themselves and help others at the same time. Only sometimes people lose themselves along the way.

In fact, if history shows us anything, we tend to root for the victor. Few grieve for the annihilation of Carthage by Rome, but many vouch for Roman greatness. Soviet atrocities against the vanquished German population are rarely even acknowledged, nor the use of concentration camps by British forces against the Boers. History is written by the people, the peope who vouch for the victors and villify the defeated.

Speak for yourself. You will find if you dig harder into history, that many people had many different opinions. Textbooks and main records of history are only the author’s opinion. They don’t even have the right to claim they speak for the majority.

So that, too, answers your thoughts about the truth as well. People follow the truth which they believe, and act accordingly. I have far more faith in the actions of people than their words, and history(both in what it reveals and what it excludes) gives us an excellent record of how people actually reacted in like circumstances.

Uh, ok. Only part I see a problem with is the history. Since there are different versions of history then what are in textbooks. It just depends how in depth you want to go and whose side you want to see things from.

This is very off-topic, so I'll end this conversation with this post, but I'll have to say that I believe you have a far more optimistic view of humanity than I do. I don't believe I'm spinning, sadly, though I wish that I was. I believe that I'm being realistic, and that we are ultimately, a pretty **** selfish, short-sighted and violent species. If any of us weren't, our genes probably wouldn't remain around for too long - pledging to remain with the loser is a good way to find yourself joining the loser in the hereafter. There have been some experiments done that show that we're essentially conditioned by nature to identify with the stronger force, insofar as it can also serve our self-interest.

Who ever said that the underdog was the loser? There is a huge difference between the two. Often the underdog wins. Usually even for about the same reasons. As far as people being selfish. Well, if we didn’t have a mix of both. We would all just die off. Why do ants, bees, buffalo, monkeys, lions, and wolves all work as a team? Why does nature have creatures work in groups for mutual protection? Without a belief in something better, mankind is totally screwed. Only the fearful and those full of fear side with evil.

Fortunately, I do think that that same ugliness also accounts for much of our beauty.

“In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.”

Uh, well I guess it all just depends on what you value. They both have plus and minuses.

Regards,
IO

PS: In statistical analysis, the "underdog effect" you refer to, in supporting the trailing candidate in a contest, appears to be equally negated by the "bandwagon effect" of individuals that rally to the winning candidate. I theorize since historically, individuals tend to rally to the winning side, it is more than likely because most individuals also saw an opportunity to advantage themselves. In politics, this is known as "strategic voting" by telling voters "not to waste your vote" on an candidate that's going to lose anyway, but rather to vote for the less-matched candidate that may not totally agree with the target voters, but will nonetheless benefit the target voters. This is a documented and very effective strategy, proven over and over again, and is one of the reasons why American politics has come to become dominated only by two parties.

Uh, but really it’s just wrong to vote that way as then even if that person could win. If everyone thinks a candidate can’t win and votes for someone else, then even if that guy would win then they won’t. Which is stupid. People need to vote for whom they would pick. Otherwise the powers that be can make it seem like such and such candidate is likely to win just to stop others from being elected.

PPS: Amarr prevails.

Well, the real problem is you don’t even have a concept of how differently others can think and why that is. You make the assumption that others think in a way even remotely similar to you. It’s bubble headedness. The whole world is merely a mirror of what you see and want to believe. In some ways the way you see the world is a mirror of what you feel inside. You create the idea then justify your own idea. Therefore it is possible to believe literally anything if you want to see what you want to see. If you change your opinion then you can see the world in a totally different way. You will also better understand your own faulted thinking. See, you see others as thinking like you do and assume they make judgments like you do. Which will lead you to totally miss interpret things. Just because people speaking the English language use the same words, does not mean people intend them to have exactly the same meaning. And for the record I never said some people wouldn’t be all for joining the winning side, regardless of what that side stands for. Some people sell their own children for a hit of crack. All I can say is, try to understand why what Gandhi did worked so well and maybe you will understand what I am saying. The real trick though is if your unhappy with this world, well every single person that does things for the wrong reasons makes it that way. One person at a time. The only way it can stop is if everyone stops, one person at a time. If you change your opinion then you can see the world in a totally different way. Which is why religion and belief can have such a powerful draw to some people. Only it’s not the religion itself, but the belief in something inspiring. Spend some time reading things that you disagree with so you at least have a better understanding of how others think. It's dangerous to just accept that which we want to hear. You need to challenge yourself more then that. Don't let other's disagreeing with you upset you and make you feel you have to justfiy what you believe. That just isn't a good way to respond to thing. Open up your own mind a little and let the world in. Don't feel threatened by other's points of view.

The real issue today is that our government is full of corruption. I think more then ever before. The Republican Party should just be outright called the fascist party at this point. I don’t think it used to stand for what it does now. I came to the realization not long ago that they don’t really give a honeysuckle about anyone, but the top 5% or less of the richest people in this country. Many of which hold 0 loyalty to this country. They are only interested in their own interests and the best ways to make more profit quite often. Usually at the actual expense of this country and the other 95% of the people in it. The democrats at least try to do the right things. Or seem to. They also seem to be much friendlier and a bit more honest. So the real issue right now is that it is in Bushes best interest to promote this war because the Republican Party and it’s true followers benefit by playing both sides. Which will only drive the price of oil up even faster. What the hell do they care if the economy tanks? They aren’t loyal to America at all really. They will just move operations and invest in foreign currency. They just outright lie whenever it suits them. Which is why Bush contradicts himself so much. He just tells people what he thinks will make them shut up and let him get away with honeysuckle. He has no issues with saying one thing and then saying the exact opposite a couple months later. I would rather have someone less corrupt in office. A big part of the problem is people put to much stock in the whole party system in the first place. Rather then just looking at who people are as individuals. Since no one fits the textbook descriptions of their party. You have different factions in the two main parties that each think that everyone else stands for what they do, but it’s just not true. So many Republicans are being led even more astray then Democrats since there seems to be a real rift that is opening up. Only I think most people haven’t figured that out yet. As Ron Paul keeps saying they used to stand for the what’s in the constitution. A great many do not anymore.

There is more danger of dieing to cancer, aids, a heart attack, and drunk driving. The threat of dieing to a terrorist isn’t even in the top 100 possible ways to die in this country. They aren’t even a threat. They aren’t a nation. They aren’t really that well organized. They aren’t that well equipped. We are just beaten over the head with the idea that they are going to hurt us. That is totally absurd. Maybe once every 10-20 years they get lucky with 1 thing. There is no 100% way to stop the risk that 10 people do some bad thing. There will always be 10 people willing to cause harm to others no matter what we do. Personally, I think that Iraq is all about changing our laws. That’s its whole purpose. It’s about the only thing that makes sense. That and it benefits that top 5% where they can rake in profits from both sides. If our economy goes belly up these people will just move. For us other 95% it’s all just lose lose. To even remotely support them is like shooting yourself in the foot. Might as well blow one of your own hands off just for honeysuckle’s sake. So you talk of conquering them. Why would anyone even want to? There is absolutely 0 reason to. This top 5% aren’t even paying taxes. They are just laughing all the way to the bank. It is quite possible that Bin Laden does work for the CIA. I imagine one reason why it’s so hard to stop funding to terrorists is they are funded by some of the same people who are screaming at how much they need to die. Well it’s more likely that they fund friends in high places who are Muslim and then that money trickles down. The terrorists themselves wouldn’t be so ready to die if they realized they were just cannon fodder too. I don’t understand why people can just sit back and be such pawns. Look at who really stands to benefit from the whole conflict. It surely isn’t the American people. All that money could go to so much better uses and everything is just so irrational. Also, are you just 100% gullible that you just buy everything you read? Or do you pick and chose? Even if the media was 100% lies you could still form an opinion off of it. Maybe by viewing it like reverse psychology. This is why I like to hear more then one side. Not just see one side and believe it hook, line, and sinker. That is the problem with communism, fascism, dictatorships, and feudalism. Everyone will have his or her own opinions. If people lie enough then nearly no one will have any idea what’s really going on and everyone will just be confused. So nothing that really needs to get done will get done, because people don’t even know what is going on. Which is why I say you might as well just take and cut the head off a body. Because that is what corrupt and distorted governments do. The top 5% richest is the head, but now it’s disconnected from everything else. It will affect their decisions to because they won’t even be as smart, because they don’t have others pushing on them demanding more and better things. Demanding their fair share. Which benefits everyone. Which is why corrupt nations fall. 1 million minds will always beat a few thousand minds.

Does it even make sense to so over spend that we have people starving in our own country so that Islamic extremists shoot at us instead of the moderate Muslims? That is basically what we are doing. Let the Muslims take care of themselves. They have for centuries and can for centuries more. They aren’t stupid like some people would make them out to be. We can still even help them in other ways at much less cost. Every bullet we use could be one more American who gets a crappy education or has some other problem because we financially bankrupt ourselves for no darn reason.

I don’t think you do it on purpose, but I see a great many people who don’t want to try to look the whole issue straight in the face. They bring in all kinds of theories that skirt the real issues. Issues taking place in the present. There is no perfect exact case that can be looked at in history to use as anything more then a rough guide as to what should be done.

Skorian,

I think many people would agree with you that the government shouldn't be trusted. As a Republican, I struggle with some of the policies that party leaders seem to be espousing these days. This election is a time for all of us to truly analyze what it is we stand for, and what we're willing to do in order to take back our country and make it great again.

One of my greatest concerns is that other nations of the world have (rightfully so) lost confidence in our ability to lead the world righteously. We've also lost our financial footing, and are now at the mercy of the interests of countries who fund us to the point we're able to avoid total economic devastation. Whoever the next president is, I believe one of the first things he ought to do is to go around the world and reestablish ties with those allies we've unforunately lost due to the thickheadedness of our current administration.

Have you ever read Dante's "Inferno"? Aside from Satan, Caiphus had the worst punishment... I wonder if Cheney will join him in that level? I think it'd be appropriate, as many of the polices accredited to bush can easily be attributed to Cheney, as Bush lacks the fundamental intelligence required to conceive them in the first place.

Sigh... I love my country, but I also worry about it these days. What was once great has become weak in so many ways. Can any of the candidates earn your trust?

A4S

I find it interesting that why I can consistently frame history in support of every one of my statements, you prefer to use your beliefs in what "things should be." As you are entirely entitled to your faith in humanity, I will simply reply to the few instances of actual history and fact that you mentioned. As for your political and antropological theories, I suggest reading Hayek's Road to Serfdom.

1) For all practical purposes, support for the mujihadeen in Afghanistan was in order to weaken the Soviet Union. Significantly so, the CIA was internally divided into camps, including a majority that believed that Afghanistan was a lost cause and that any US resources placed into there would be a waste(which is oddly similar to some cut and run arguments advanced today). However, a smaller but influential bloc of US politics felt that the mujihadeen had a significant chance and thus provided significant funding.

Operation Cyclone, the US effort in Afghanistan, is interesting in that even in its inception, the US consistently supported a controversial mujihadeen leader who was in the good graces of Pakistan and thus, presumably convenient to our future interest. This said leader was known for killing other mujihadeen and slaughtering civilian populations(including friendly civilian populations!).

Its obvious that the major concern there was pragmatism.

2) There is little speculation involved in the fall of the Republic. The Republic had become so beaucratic and incapable that it could barely put down Sparticus' rebellion for year, in comparison to Imperial Rome's swift and brutal response to Queen Boudica's rebellion. While Sparticus doubtlessly was a splendid general, so were many of Gallic and Germanic commanders before him and Queen Boduica had both more of the population, trained warriors and a friendly countryside to her advantage.

Regardless of any "what ifs", by the 80s BC, it was clear that the Republic was teetering and needed some form of massive restructuring. The emergence of dictorial Emperors was natural response.

3)"This is total nonsense. Working together with others and becoming friends can form a nation. Nations of people who share similar dreams and aspirations..."

Conquest as the means of forming nations is the basis of almost every single major region:

Asia: Qin's dynasty conquered the disparate province kingdoms of China, destroying their cultural distinctiveness and in many cases, their populations to leave us with a single Chinese nation. Japan as a single culture was mostly due to Oda Nobunaga crushing all rival clans, resulting with only the followers of Oda being legal samurai families by the time of the Tokugawa Shogunate's establishment. Most other Southeastern Asian "nations" were formed by colonial powers who imposed their will on previously disparate chiefdoms and tribes.

Middle East: Persian Empire. Later, reunification under Islamic caliphs, which was done via violence and led to the Islamic Golden Age. After the major blows the caliph kingdoms took from the invading Mongol hordes from the east and from the First Crusade from the west, the establishment of the Ottoman empire stretched a massive Islamic empire that was destroyed only after WW1 and foreign European powers.

And in there, mind you, there's actually some effort at a peaceful spread of an idea(Islam) to unify people! That's probably the comical part.

Americas:Aztecs. Mayans. European colonization followed by American expansionism into the west. Articles of Confederation and the colonies established by English conquest, later rebelled against England and unified for the sake of war against a common enemy. Due to decentralized structure, was later unified under a formal centralized power by the American Civil War.

Europe: Rome. Franks. Reconquista. Actually, the European history of warfare is so evident that I don't feel like I need to expound.

4) I'm really not sure why the evolution of social animals is placed here, but I'll go and answer it anyway. Social animals evolved because animals in the society, especially the weaker ones otherwise incapable of surviving alone, are more able to leave behind offspring. Society and dependancy, then, is often efficient for many of the individuals involved even if there is no equal sharing(and there usually isn't).

A wolf pack is an excellent representation of how this works, because many of its members are capable of surviving without the pack. The alpha male wolf benefits from the majority stake of the food, mates, and his genetic legacy passing on. The beta male wolves benefit from the chance to sneak a few pups among the females and a chance at large game that they couldn't get normally. The omega male wolves....well, they don't really benefit too much, which is why so many of them became dogs to humans, but at least they have a chance for survival even if they get bullied and robbed by every single other wolf. The female wolves benefit from the fact that their pups will have the strongest genes, typically from the alpha wolf.

This is, actually, a very dictatorial society. I hope that you're not looking for a utopian example from that.

5) "Uh, but really it’s just wrong to vote that way as then even if that person could win. "

I'm significantly less interested in "what is right" and more interested in "what actually happens." I believe that is a difference between us.

Regards,
IO

PS: Ghandi is a wonderful person, and civil disobedience is a very interesting tactic, but there is no historical example where moral outrage superseded material gain. British India was an economic loss for England, and American slavery was less economically efficient than using Irish immigrant labor. This is not to consider that civil disobedience, when it works, employs quite a bit of force - if only indirectly.

armor4sleepPA said:
Skorian,

I think many people would agree with you that the government shouldn't be trusted. As a Republican, I struggle with some of the policies that party leaders seem to be espousing these days. This election is a time for all of us to truly analyze what it is we stand for, and what we're willing to do in order to take back our country and make it great again.

One of my greatest concerns is that other nations of the world have (rightfully so) lost confidence in our ability to lead the world righteously. We've also lost our financial footing, and are now at the mercy of the interests of countries who fund us to the point we're able to avoid total economic devastation. Whoever the next president is, I believe one of the first things he ought to do is to go around the world and reestablish ties with those allies we've unforunately lost due to the thickheadedness of our current administration.

Have you ever read Dante's "Inferno"? Aside from Satan, Caiphus had the worst punishment... I wonder if Cheney will join him in that level? I think it'd be appropriate, as many of the polices accredited to bush can easily be attributed to Cheney, as Bush lacks the fundamental intelligence required to conceive them in the first place.

Sigh... I love my country, but I also worry about it these days. What was once great has become weak in so many ways. Can any of the candidates earn your trust?

A4S

Ron Paul is the only man in the race speaking the hard truth to people...he refuses to pander, even when it's politically inconvenient.

www.ronpaul2008.com

lonelygirl said:
armor4sleepPA said:
Skorian,

A4S

Ron Paul is the only man in the race speaking the hard truth to people...he refuses to pander, even when it's politically inconvenient.

www.ronpaul2008.com

Ya, except from what I hear Dr. Paul may have steped out of the race now to make sure he doesn't lose his seat in the senate. With all the "outright" censorship that has been shown around him, it's small wonder. Have to wonder if someone threatened him... Doesn't mean people can't still follow what he is up to. I am not sure if my source on this is accurate or not.

I am rooting for Obama, and Edwards. Mostly the rest of the republicans just scare me with the things they say. I don't trust Clinton.... I have to many doubts about her and have seen things that may well signifiy outright corruption and that she has been bought.

Wow. o.o Lots to read through. Overall a rather good read I must say. :)

Yes i sense evil right now, a very nasty sinister smelly form of evil.
pppfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

stella said:
pppfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

**** that smells nasty !!!
So its not sewerage problems like i thought.

stella said:

Lmao Stella. :p

Sometimes I feel it growning in my pants :p
My goal is to impregnant the world with my evil seeds.
Build an amry of incobust and warlocks. This way the world can really, really feel it.
fresia satan. Lucifer just be messing around. There's not enough sufferning in the world.
If you want something done right..do gotta do it yourself...lol

Latest posts

Back