Does anyone else EAT to deal with lonlieness/depression?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonic_95

Reaction score
I saw CAS's thread on using alcohol to deal with lonlieness, so I thought I'd see if anyone here besides me who eats when they get depressed or lonely.

I was never much into drinking, but I will eat and eat and eat, and have had people tell me that I need to get professional help. Unfortunatly, they are right, I just haven't really had the courage to go and see someone about it.

I have eaten so much that I am now up to 375 pounds, not only is it extremely embarrasing to be this big, but my health is now at risk.

Diabeties runs in my family, and my doctor recently told me if I continue down the road I am on, I'm not that far from getting it.

My family and my co workers are always telling me I need to get on the stick and do something before I die.

I was very glad when the doctor told me he doesn't think I have diabeites yet, so I think I am ready to try and lose some of this weight before I do end up with it. I'd love to be "normal" size again some day.

I tend to eat junk food when I am depressed but then I end up feeling sick that by the next day I really want healthy foods to get the cement like processed foods out of my system.

I don't really get the munchies per say when depressed. I just sulk. When I drink, I get the munchies. Beer will do that, hence, why I only do this once a week. It's true though. Some people will eat when they are depressed and gain weight. Others won't eat and lose weight. It depends on your coping mechanisms.

Oh, I definately do, although somewhat indirectly I suppose. I tend to eat more when I feel bored, whice I do alot, mainly becouse of not having any friends to spend time with or talk to.

When I'm truly depressed I tend to self-harm instead, whice is also like an addiction. You could argue whice one of these is actually more destructive, but that's another story I guess.

I am the exact opposite of you there Sonic.. When I get too lonely, and depressed.. I forget to eat.. Well it's more that I don't feel hunger.. I can go the whole day sulking and being miserable...then suddenly remember I haven't eaten all day, so i have an apple or something...

Luckily, it doesn't last for too long every time, but I do loose weight that way.. just in portions, not constantly...

When I am seriously depressed I don't eat anything, just can't. Food can't go to my mouth in that mood.

I sort of did, but then I combated that by taking up chain smoking.

You know, the totally healthy alternative *cough*

Terminus said:
I tend to eat more when I feel bored, whice I do alot, mainly becouse of not having any friends to spend time with or talk to.

That is when i do it. Grab something easy which is often the worst for you. No thought in it. May look for where i placed it then realize that i ate it.

I'm sort of the same way. Except it's not every day. Say, when I'm depressed, I pig out one day, but then spends the next few days eating healthy foods. I've gained some weight, though. And I must stop, because I was in really good shape (my abs were marked, now I just have one huge ab >=(.....)

When i get depressed or stressed. You basically have to force feed me.
I check out mentally and emotionally. Life and everything in it seems gross to me.

Not really, I have in general a naturally small appetite. Even normally, I don't eat that much, my mother constantly berates me for that. When I get really stressed, I usually lose appetite. I do eat chocolate and French fries on a regular basis but as I have no tendency whatsoever to gain weight, that is not a problem in this aspect. French fries are bad for my stomach though, that is a problem.

Not really. I don't eat much anyway. My mom worries about me hardly ever eating, yet I'm fat anyway, so I suppose it wouldn't matter if I did or not.

I tend to forget to eat on most days, but what I do eat usually isn't that great for me, or even if it is, they say that the less you eat, the more your body usually retains the fats and whatnot so that the body won't eat at itself.

But, erm, yeah; back to the topic. When I'm depressed, I usually forget about food or will not want to eat when it's serious depression. When I'm bored I'll sometimes go and get something quick to eat, but I try to refrain from doing that, unless I know that I have something healthy that I can eat, because like Minus said, the easiest thing is often unhealthy.

Sonic, I've been worried about diabetes after I had some panic attacks this past fall/winter and thought there was something physically wrong with me. I still am a bit, as I'm overweight as well and my grandmother on my mom's side has it. Just gotta work up the will power to keep at eating right and exercising. We can do it, I'm sure; all we need is a positive attitude. :)

Minus said:
Terminus said:
I tend to eat more when I feel bored, whice I do alot, mainly becouse of not having any friends to spend time with or talk to.

That is when i do it. Grab something easy which is often the worst for you. No thought in it. May look for where i placed it then realize that i ate it.

I'm totally the same, i eat when i'm bored, and irratated, but when i'm angery or depressed I just smoke, alot. It's so not good for me, or anyone for that matter.

good luck with your weightloss, i'm mid-diet just now, not a great day, but better than yesterday

i used to work out, got myself up to a good 200 pounds. was lean and actually quite muscular, but anxiety etc hit hard, and i havent been in the weight rack for well over a year, and ive lost a lot of weight cuz i dont eat. now im a walking matchstick... skinny as hell

i often get hungry to the point where it really hurts, yet i have no appetite even then. no desire to eat whatsoever.

I eat to feel comfort and definitely I need comfort when I have to deal with the sadness that lonelines and desconection brings

Yea and I even eat when I'm bored and have nothing to do.. and so thats all the time.
Luckily (Thank god!) I dont gain wayyy too much but its hard for me to start loosing weight when I start pigging out all over again. It's been a while since I was "slim".

It depends on how severe the depression is. Sometimes if I'm just "down," I'll turn to some comfort foods. If I am in a serious depressive episode however, I stop eating altogether.

Latest posts

Back