Does anyone else try to make others dislike them?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegreyman

Reaction score
Until I became so socially anxious that I almost stopped communicating with people altogether, I always used to go 'the scenic route' in my attempts to make people like me.

My rationale was to make people dislike me in order to capture their attention. Then, over time, they'd get used to me and my quirks and that antipathy would gradually transmute into a familiarity and then a liking. Sometimes it would work. Now I'm too shy even to get the process started, and just being nice to people is a lousy way of trying to make friends because usually I come across as having no other discernible character traits other than being a nice person.

Disliking is definitely closer on the spectrum to liking than indifference is. If there's nothing that you can do to make a person notice you, they will probably never like you. But oftentimes old enemies will become friends.

I think that if I tried my usual technique of getting people to like me on this board, I'd be banned quite quickly and therefore unable to carry my plan through to fruition.

No, I get people to dislike me when I know they're not going to like me anyway.

If you're talking about being 'cheeky' or slightly rude to pique someone's interest (a woman's... right?) then I can see the rationale, but being completely obnoxious, no.

rdor said:
No, I get people to dislike me when I know they're not going to like me anyway.

If you're talking about being 'cheeky' or slightly rude to pique someone's interest (a woman's... right?) then I can see the rationale, but being completely obnoxious, no.

No, I'm completely obnoxious. Or at least, when I had the emotional strength to endure the initial period of negativity.

With certain people I don't have to try to make them dislike me-they do anyway:-(

a lot of people don't like me but I don't like them either so it isn't worth worrying about.

Triple Bogey said:
a lot of people don't like me but I don't like them either so it isn't worth worrying about.

Same here. I am who I am, you either like me or don't... But no, I don't purposely try to make people dislike me, why be completely obnoxious? I admit I don't understand your modus operandi in relation to making friends - there's already too many genuine ******** in the world now, why pretend to be another? Because that what it seems like you're doing, putting on a face to make others like you...*shrug*

ringwood said:
Triple Bogey said:

Same here. I am who I am, you either like me or don't... But no, I don't purposely try to make people dislike me, why be completely obnoxious? I admit I don't understand your modus operandi in relation to making friends - there's already too many genuine ******** in the world now, why pretend to be another? Because that what it seems like you're doing, putting on a face to make others like you...*shrug*

Because being nice alone isn't enough to win many friends. On message boards, 'insult trolls' are usually much more valued contributors than people who are nice to everyone, but also a bit dull.

I'm fed up with having my heart broken because people like a funny person who insults them more than they like a boring person who pays them compliments.

Then don't be either. Don't change who you are to suite to ingratiate yourself with others, but don't go out of your way to annoy either.

thegreyman said:
ringwood said:
Triple Bogey said:

Because being nice alone isn't enough to win many friends. On message boards, 'insult trolls' are usually much more valued contributors than people who are nice to everyone, but also a bit dull.

I'm fed up with having my heart broken because people like a funny person who insults them more than they like a boring person who pays them compliments.

Hmmm...well, I get your reasoning...sort of. But don't you feel like you're cheating yourself by pretending to be something you're not only to ultimately please somebody else? Why not please yourself by being yourself? Insult trolls may be somewhat amusing for a while, but eventually people will tell you to f$&@ right off when they get sick of you being a jerk. Personally, judging from some of your earlier comments on this forum (yes, I looked) you seem like a genuinely nice interesting person...drop the facade and be happy with you.

ringwood said:
thegreyman said:
ringwood said:
Triple Bogey said:

Hmmm...well, I get your reasoning...sort of. But don't you feel like you're cheating yourself by pretending to be something you're not only to ultimately please somebody else? Why not please yourself by being yourself? Insult trolls may be somewhat amusing for a while, but eventually people will tell you to f$&@ right off when they get sick of you being a jerk. Personally, judging from some of your earlier comments on this forum (yes, I looked) you seem like a genuinely nice interesting person...drop the facade and be happy with you.

Thanks for the kind words. I don't necessarily please myself by being myself, as I'm not very happy with how I turned out. I'm try to emphasise the non-worthless aspects of my character. Or at least make light of my shortcomings with self-deprecatory remarks.

Well I I don't really try, others just dislike me.
Except if I give them chocolate.

Latest posts

Back