Does anyone get tired of hearing this saying?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone is looking at the glass half empty. I'm looking at it half full!

This is how I take "Life is what you make of it": You want to make friends? Go out there and make them. You want a girlfriend/boyfriend? Go out there and make one. You want to be a famous person? Go out there and try to do so. You want to retire in Europe? Work hard enough to be able to do that. You want to be a doctor? Go to school and graduate. Want to just live the day? Go from job to job and be prepared to live in the streets.

i can't say if i get tired of hearing that. i agree with what other people are saying about the people who say it not knowing what it's like to go through life the way that we do. i think they just say that not only because they don't know, but because they don't care. they don't want to hear about what we go through and would much rather hear about how awesome our lives are. this way, we can't drag them down with us.

what i'm saying is, as someone who's been "in the dumps" for half his life, i know that someday i'll be flying high, which, now that i think about it, is why i'll never get tired of hearing that saying. my life is hard. i'm all alone. i have no friends, and my family is no longer a united one, but i will not quit. i will claw my way up if i have to, but i will make this life mine.

Ak5 said:
Everyone is looking at the glass half empty. I'm looking at it half full!

I saw a funny cartoon on a friends facebook this morning.

302640_295517570460674_286160891396342_1212504_1072968214_n.jpg

When I got divorced nine years ago, I was amazed at how trite such cliches really are. There is a reason we call them cliches. Before my divorce I can't tell you how many times I would quote Neitzche (sp) and say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" to others when they were struggling. However, I was so angry the first time someone said that to me when I got divorced because the pain I was feeling was so powerful that I didn't understand how it could be a good thing. People say things like that because they haven't experienced what you have felt or are feeling. They fall back on what they feel as words of comfort, because to them, those words are meant to console. They don't mean any wrong by it but their lack of experience with that particular type of situation is what causes them to seem to be insensitive. I have been on both sides of the fence and I can assure you that now, I am a much better listener and I am not nearly as quick to advise others when all they really want is someone to hear them out. All I can say is they mean well.

^ nice cartoon lol.

I like it because it's an attempt at being optimistic and that helps a little bit..even if it's 1%. Hopefully that makes sense. I like to try to believe it's true.

I think that people often come out with these sort of phrases because they haven't got a clue what else to say. Or becuase they are not interested in listening to you or helping you. It is like those people who say regarding relationships 'you'll find someone when you stop looking' or if you are having problems finding new friends they will say 'you're trying too hard.'

Sayings like that one are part of a long list used by (often) well-meaning individuals as a kind of cookie-cutter way of offering advice. I mean, sometimes such sayings undoubtedly apply (they're sayings for a reason), but it's always a bit irritating when someone (though perhaps well-meaning) offers you a cliche that doesn't really apply to your particular situation... with some people, I get the impression they just run through the list of stock phrases they have in their mind and spout out whichever one they feel could apply to the problem you're having.

So cliched sayings like that tend to annoy me in general. Not all the time, because like I said sometimes they are accurate and definitely apply, but it's always nice to get more personalized advice.

Latest posts

Back