Does Facebook make you feel lonelier?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not at all. Facebook is imperfect, but I have made friends there and I value those friendships. I do not think it is for everyone.

It's all about instagram and twitter nowdays, people don't use facebook as much.

I use it mainly as a newsfeed to follow things that interest me and for a few gardening/seed trading groups I belong to. I don't really communicate with most people outside of those groups much so no, it doesn't. Oh and it's a handy place to stash my photos.

It has its uses but I've never seen it as a "social thing".

I'm not that much bothered about what people post on Facebook. There were some contacts on mine that kept posting annoying stuff or posts that are a bit "exhausting" to read and I was more than glad to stop following their updates or remove them from my news feed. It's your choice. You don't have to see what they post if you're not happy seeing their posts. Sometimes I don't think I can quite understand why people "blame" Facebook or any other social media so much. People just tend to go to extremes and lack the self-control... that's people ON and OFF Facebook.

I think Facebook is a good platform to stay in touch with people, especially those who are usually very busy to update each other on their lives. I've got some friends who are like that and sometimes just seeing what is up with them on their page makes me feel included, even more so when we can comment and message each other about it.

That being said, I have not felt jealous or disturbed by those who post out pictures or videos of them being out and about and having fun. If anything, I'm happy for them if they can enjoy themselves as much as it seems. I also believe that it's not always the case - people only put happy stuff up but behind all those happy posts, life isn't always so kind to them. They are people too and people have ups and downs.

In conclusion, Facebook doesn't make me feel lonelier.

Sort of....although, I'm not really sure why. I favor online communication and networking anyhow. The problem I have with fb is that it makes everything and everyone I know to be sincere....seem, superficial and hollow. If that makes any sense. I really only use it to keep track of a few friends, and my sister, for it's instant messaging purposes, and to basically share and post funny images and memes. Or occasionally go on drunken musical postings.

As for likes and whatnot, I couldn't give a honeysuckle.
I haven't been a competitive person since I was like, 13 (I'm nearly 27 now).
These days, the only competition I run, is against myself.
Although what's ironic about that is people run competition against me, I take notice, ignore it, compete against myself and forget about them, then come out on top of my own previous goal and then the other party gets mad at me and I'm like :rolleyes2:

Idk. I don't get it, I guess. Whereas when I was a kid I was heavily competitive in sports, as an adolescent I fell in love with art and creativity in all it's marvelous forms and lost my competitive drive. So when I'm competing against myself, it really is, against myself. Or I'm trying something new for my own experiences to see if it works out better for me or not than my previous experiences.

But I digress....

It brings about a loneliness to it, but I can't totally put a finger on specifically why, either, especially not without second guessing myself.

I'm an social outcast. I don't do facebook. I only have one have one friend anyway.

I had a Facebook account for maybe a month before I deleted it. I found it to be a playground for the narcissistic, the supercillious and the vapid. If you're not a party animal (read: latent alcoholic) or have 600 close friends (read: casual acquaintances) then of course you would feel somehow deficient in comparison. And yet, despite all that, it's still somehow strangely addictive. :/

Facebook reinforces my "theory" that people are willingly stupid and are easily controlled.

Nullgeist said:
Facebook reinforces my "theory" that people are willingly stupid and are easily controlled.

How does Facebook reinforce that for you? In the posts you see, you mean?

Facebook is simply a website, it's not evil.
It will do to you what you want it to do. If you want it to make you feel more alone, then it will. If you want it to make you feel connected, it will.
Just like everything everywhere, take what you like and leave the rest.

Are we going to apply gun theory here too? It doesn't matter whether you have gun or not it matter how to use it. Pretty lame. Facebook is not a gun, is it? It's just a mere site. we have choice...to go there or not. Nothing more nothing less. But if we want to start an anti FB campaign then that is altogether different thing.

PenDragon said:
Are we going to apply gun theory here too? It doesn't matter whether you have gun or not it matter how to use it. Pretty lame. Facebook is not a gun, is it? It's just a mere site. we have choice...to go there or not. Nothing more nothing less. But if we want to start an anti FB campaign then that is altogether different thing.

Facebook is not a gun but that's not the point. People can make the choice how they want to use something.

Raingirl said:
Amthorn said:
Raingirl said:
Seeing everyone move on with their lives, going to another state, going on adventures, making new friends, getting engaged, married, moving in with their bf/gf, and here I am still living in the same shithole having no life, still feeling like a child because of no life experience and barely leaving my house. Yes, it hurts.

Honestly, there is something to be said for lacking "life experience". With all the painful things I've been through as an adult, I often wish I had just stayed home and played video games more.

But what would've become of you if you just stayed home and played videosgames? think about it.
hqdefault.jpg

At least going out in the real world helps you grow a thick skin and mature, among other things.

Hey now! That guy had the most dominant WoW character ever! lol

Latest posts

Back