Does it sometimes feel like it's too late?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-alchemist

Reaction score
Does it sometimes feel like it's too late to do something about your life? Like too much time have passed and it's too late.

Man, I'm 23 now. Unfortunately I wasted my teens and 2 years of my 20s on videogames and comics. I was socially awkward and therefore I had no friends or anything. I have never been to a party, I've never had a girlfriend. After a lot of personal problems, I moved to another place. This year, 2010 I had resolved to do something about my situation, thus I set out to try to get friends and find love. Because I realized that no girl is just going to knock on my door. Although I have yet to kiss a girl at the time I'm writing, I have made strides in my social development. A lot of progress compared to the complete social isolation that was my teen years.

But sometimes, I get very sad when I think back. While people were partying, having girlfriends, kissing their first girls, I was just home playing videogames or reading comics. I mean, people at my age have been in a number of relationships, they've been abroad, they've probably done activities etc. They have done so much with their lives. All I did was sitting in front of the computer playing games or reading comics. I just started going to university this year, at 23 years of age while others started when they were 18 or 19.

I feel like I've missed so much, like my life is worthless. I feel like I'm so old. I feel like I am past my expiration date. I have so much regret. I mean sure, I am still determined to make something of my life and salvage what is left of it, but sometimes it gets me down that I don't have the social resumè of my peers of the same age.

Alchemist -- OMG! What I wouldn't give to be 23 years YOUNG again! I don't mean to diminish your feelings in any way but please have faith in my telling you that you've got your whole life ahead of you! I beg you not to be discouraged, please try not to focus on wasteful regrets, and move yourself forward from today on FULL STEAM AHEAD! Go get'em, LG:)

I read your post and you sound exactly like me. My main comfort these days is still video games. I have never had a girlfriend and am nowhere near having one. I too feel like I wasted my teens and especially college. I regret not taking the opportunity to meet people in an environment that is geared towards it. I am glad to hear that you are making strides in your social development. I wish I were able to make such a claim. I think you should avoid making comparisons between your social resume and that of others. Each of us has our own path in life. Remember, it is not the quantity but the quality. There is no need to feel down because you have done x number of things compared to their y number

Also, instead of making it sound like a bad thing that you are starting college at the age of 23, I would applaud you for going. You should be proud of yourself for going. I think far too many people take education lightly and are not dedicated enough to want to go. I do not know your reason for starting later than those who go straight out of high school, but there is no shame in it. Better late than never as they say, though I certainly do not mean to imply you are late in this case :) I hope you know what I mean though

At 23 you are not old. When you pass 30 like I have, then you are over the hill :D Seriously though, I am proud of you for still being determined to make positive changes in your life. Take pride in your progress and use that as motivation to continue doing so. I promise you that 23 is not too late. I do things now that I never would have done when I was 23. I wish I could offer you better answers, but I have yet to figure that part out. If you figure it out, please share the secret with me ;)

Anyhow, best of luck to you brother!

Hi the-alchemist.

I understand how you feel as I at 27 often feel the same.

For me it's not about the amount of time I have ahead of me, it's the time before that affects my outlook on the future. All those issues, incidents, problems and stresses that have gone on make me wonder why should the next 10 years be any different? And then the next 10 after that?

Reading that you've recently moved and started university is a great way to start changing things in your life. It can be very difficult to get out of a rut, but it's good that you are making an effort.

oh my God, 23 years old! you've got one foot in the grave!!!

dude, you haven't missed out on anything. i spent my teens and my early 20s just like you, playing video games and reading books and magazines. i'm only 24 years old, and i'm barely starting to live my life. i'm entering the second phase of my life and getting ready to make the most of it. i've had my fun, and now it's time to get to work. i know what i want to do with my life. i suggest you figure out what you want to do with yours before you spend another 23 years in front of a computer screen wondering what else you could have done with your life.

i wish you the best.

Alchemist, it's understandable to feel this way. Actually it's that time of year I think back about the past months and what have I accomplished. Every year it's the same - I hope that the next year would be better, but it's not. People come and go, I don't see my high school friends anymore, I moved to a new town. The people I know here are great, but they have established connections and I feel left on the outside, so I have this feeling that I wasted a lot of opportunities in my life so far. This will pass though. Just try to do the things you want, and the things you like. The Holidays are tough period for everyone who feel lonely. Just hang in there.

I was 37 when I went to college. I was really scared cause these kids were 18 and 19 yrs old and wondering would they accept me??? Plus, I choose a non-traditional degree (electonics) so I was the only women in a class of all young fellas. You know what they all treated me as their peer. Same w/ my other classes the kids were great ppl. It was one of the most positive things that ever happenrd in my life. In another class I was in w/ welders (non-destructive testing) of all ages sometinmes they would get ranchy but I just got up and walked out and told the instructor I'll be back when you're all done. And that worked well for all. Just keep taking those giant steps and you will amaze yourself. Try to see a Career Councilor at school they have tests that you take that point out what your interests are. I think one is called Stong-Cambel. There are others also but my brain has washed that info clear lol.

I'm 21 and i can recognize myself in what you are describing.I was a outcast in secondary school sitting at home in front of my computer all the time. But i was accepted by my peers like queenwindbaby, i was invited to parties and was accepted. I especially remember one quote a classmate mentioned to me at the farewell gathering "when i was 20 i was living it out" so in conclusion its not too late. As previous posters mentioned you're at the height.

I'm 21 and i can recognize myself in what you are describing.I was a outcast in secondary school sitting at home in front of my computer all the time of my spare time. I applied to university and felt the same as you being worried about being a loner.

But i was accepted by my peers like queenwindbaby describes, i was invited to parties and was accepted. I especially remember one quote a classmate mentioned to me at the farewell gathering "when i was 20 i lived life to the fullest" so in conclusion its not too late. As previous posters mentioned you're at the height. You have motivation to change your situation so don't spend your time worrying.

the-alchemist said:
Does it sometimes feel like it's too late to do something about your life? Like too much time have passed and it's too late.

Man, I'm 23 now. Unfortunately I wasted my teens and 2 years of my 20s on videogames and comics. I was socially awkward and therefore I had no friends or anything. I have never been to a party, I've never had a girlfriend. After a lot of personal problems, I moved to another place. This year, 2010 I had resolved to do something about my situation, thus I set out to try to get friends and find love. Because I realized that no girl is just going to knock on my door. Although I have yet to kiss a girl at the time I'm writing, I have made strides in my social development. A lot of progress compared to the complete social isolation that was my teen years.

But sometimes, I get very sad when I think back. While people were partying, having girlfriends, kissing their first girls, I was just home playing videogames or reading comics. I mean, people at my age have been in a number of relationships, they've been abroad, they've probably done activities etc. They have done so much with their lives. All I did was sitting in front of the computer playing games or reading comics. I just started going to university this year, at 23 years of age while others started when they were 18 or 19.

I feel like I've missed so much, like my life is worthless. I feel like I'm so old. I feel like I am past my expiration date. I have so much regret. I mean sure, I am still determined to make something of my life and salvage what is left of it, but sometimes it gets me down that I don't have the social resumè of my peers of the same age.

23 is YOUNG!!! You can still do so much with your life and change everything. Sometimes when I talk to people who are only in their early 20s they sound like they are in their 70s. No offense to you, but I can tell you that I was with somebody for 5 years that I've wasted on so many stupid things. I wasted so much money on bars, booze, and other crap that brought me nothing. While my friends were working and building their professional and personal lives I was wasting them with someone who's best interest was only themselves. And yes I do feel cheated and hold tons of anger that I didn't wake up sooner. But guess what? I'm a little older than you but I'm trying my hardest to turn things around. No it's not easy (but what is now?) and there are moments and will be moments that I'm ready to give up but all I have to do is remind myself of the fact that now finally it's nobody but me who's in control. And at least I'm going in the direction I would like to go. Sure, I struggle with depression and anger and sometimes these things overshadow my goals and my days but there is always a way out. I found thousands ways to get out of difficult situations and I'm still here. All my friends that I have left are married and have houses and kids so I'm not gonna lie that I don't feel jealous of them, however I'm seeing this as a clean slate that I can start over again and so can you. I've seen people burn themselves out getting married so young and their lives ending before they have even begun. And they say now that 30 is the new 20:)

the-alchemist said:

Man, I'm 23 now. Unfortunately I wasted my teens and 2 years of my 20s on videogames and comics. I was socially awkward and therefore I had no friends or anything. I have never been to a party, I've never had a girlfriend.

I'm 23 and I -just- got my first girlfriend. I spent the entirety of my free time from school years til the age of 21 playing video games and reading novels. And you know what? The girl I'm with can't get enough of me and doesn't give a crap that I'm inexperienced (even though she's been with probably a dozen or more guys in the past).

Don't sweat this, please. I can totally empathize that this feels like a HUGE issue, but when we manage to find perspective, it really isn't.

This year, 2010 I had resolved to do something about my situation, thus I set out to try to get friends and find love. Because I realized that no girl is just going to knock on my door. Although I have yet to kiss a girl at the time I'm writing, I have made strides in my social development. A lot of progress compared to the complete social isolation that was my teen years.

Good!

Let's repeat that to ourselves, only in bold, capital letters.

GOOD!

We don't get anywhere unless we try and we only fail when we give up and write the final stanza to the saga. You say you have made progress from your state of isolation. This is a huge success that you can build upon. Once I started socializing, and just making myself endure the awkwardness and the anxiety, things got better over about the course of a year.

When I finally realized I needed to grow up and start pursuing women if I wanted to be with one, I experienced a multitude of failures, some of them crushing blows to my person. But I have now found success. Somewhere in the coal bed, we find our diamond mine.

Man, it's like I'm looking in a mirror...

I didn't start college until I was 20. I'm STILL working on a 'two year' degree, at 23, and probably won't finish for another year and a half.

Dude, fresia it.

At 22 I started reminiscing a lot. I felt every regret that you just listed. I wished I could hit the Rewind button and go to school dances. I wished I could go back and have the courage to talk to girls, have the sense to do well in school and go to college straight off. But you know what? Those people who go to college right after highschool, and get their fancy four year degrees in Liberal Arts and Hurp-Durpology?

They lack so much ******* common sense and real life experience that they are unbearable to be around. As an EMT, I took a patient in on a very simple piece of equipment called a scoop stretcher. It separates in to two halves via two very simple latch mechanisms. When we went back to retrieve it, the incredible team of ER doctors and nurses had seen fit to dismantle one of the latches to get the patient off of it. To do this, they had to somehow acquire a set of allen wrenches; and I don't know any ER that just has allen wrenches around. I know they had to go look for that honeysuckle.

These people are frequently too dumb to operate a blanket.

The rest of the 4 year degrees spend ten years paying off student loans and trying to find jobs where only 20% of their numbers are actually in demand.

Dude, you and I aren't -even- close to 'salvage' material yet. So what if we were geeks? RELISH IT! Pride yourself on the geekness and wrap yourself in the warm memories of comic books and late night gaming sessions. It's a culture most people don't experience and it's no better or worse than having wasted your childhood partying. A lot of those party people haven't turned out so well, you know. In fact I would say more of them are close to 'salvage mode' than you or I are. Man, I used to be so ashamed of how I spent my youth. But you know what? we did it because we enjoyed it. It was safe and it was fun for us, was it not? We simply enjoyed our childhood how we saw fit. fresia anyone who says otherwise, they don't know what they're talking about.

When you and I find ourselves smoking crack and trying to find another part time job to support our $20,000 of unjustifiable credit card debt, after finding another flop-house to crash at for the week, THEN we can say we have to 'salvage' our lives. What counts is that you and I have determined now that we do have to take action to be successful. There is no cookie cutter for success or prosperity. There is no recipe that reads as follows:

-Eight highschool girlfriends
-Four years of college and partying
-Fifty college flings
-Two years travelling on mommy's dime

Place in the oven and bake for one hour for instant superiority over all other life forms.

Yeah, it's not in any cookbook, and I love to cook.

Keep being social, keep talking to people. You know what I did to get comfortable with girls? I made myself cold-approach various service employees and go out with whatever girls I could from Craigslist. Hours of collective embarrassment and anxiety. But I exposed myself so much that I don't even care now and it's brilliant. I can just...talk to them, and actually have a date, whereas three years ago I would have run home and hid in the darkest corner of my apartment sweating profusely. Do I still WANT to do that sometimes? Hell yes. But I know how to cope with it.

Keep going to school. You'll get there someday. I was shocked at the age range in my classes when I started going to the local college, dude. There's people in there twice my age embarking on incredibly ambitious goals, and they are GOING to succeed because they have the drive and aren't discouraged. Take your time, work while you're doing it. Save some money for yourself while you're at it. This method has it's merit as well.

And don't be afraid of the two-year programs or jobs that pay less than $60,000 a year. We're programmed to think that if we don't use the cookie cutter, we're messed. But it's simply not true as long as we have our ingenuity and our drive to succeed.

Above all else, keep coming here. This place is an excellent support, and a 'safe haven' when you're tense and worried, or disappointed over a setback.

It gets better, now that you're trying.

****, Brian, your post just inspired the hell out of me. I can really relate to the-alchemist's feelings of regret and self-disapointment as well, but fresia if that post didn't really give me a surge of fresh hope :).

big time yes. i was convinced my life was over when i was 25.

never compare yourself to other people. Comparing your failures against what you believe are other people's successes is instant death. you brand yourself as a failure and other people as winners. it will kill your self esteem.

((((((((((((((((((((alchemist)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
There is not a right and wrong way to live your life as long as you live it the way you want. It's yours :) During those years you did what you wanted. You still have time to fill your social resume. And yes, I know that feeling that pops up and says it's too late. I guess the one that really saddens me at times is the one that says such a thing I desire does not exist. Hang in there, kiddo. Good things await you :)

suckaG said:
****, Brian, your post just inspired the hell out of me. I can really relate to the-alchemist's feelings of regret and self-disapointment as well, but fresia if that post didn't really give me a surge of fresh hope :).

Cool :)

the-alchemist said:

Well, been there myself too, so I can relate somewhat. Hell, I only just got my first date this year, and it was a disaster. :p I didn't manage anything in high school. Of course I tried, I asked out three different girls back in those days when I was more sure of myself, but a barrage of 'no-no-nos' chipped away at my self-esteem. I was asked out once, but that being before high school and me being the sort of mental wreck I was at the time from the beatings I got from my peers at school, I freaked out and shooed her away. I felt immense remorse afterwards, felt like an utter idiot...

Me, also a fan of comics (mostly webcomics) and a former AD&D player, taken later only to computer game level when I finally drifted apart from the few friends I had. Really makes me miss the social interaction of a good roleplaying group, thinking back...

But meaningless droning on aside, as already said, it kills the self to compare yourself to others above you in the food chain. There's always hordes of people better off, privileged, talented or if you believe in such a thing, lucky people. There's no end to them. I haven't really the way of words in experience and I know myself well enough to say that neither am I word-wise in wisdom, but there might be a point or two that are valid in my ramblings. Brian said it, hell, way better than I could.

Still, what's the old saying? As long as there is hope, there is life or whatnot? I'm worried about my soon-to-be-upcoming 25th birthday and total lack of social finesse, but that doesn't mean I'll just lie down and die, not yet. I'll spit out the loose teeth knocked out of me by life's big ol' iron-tipped boots and try again. Of course failure hurts, always does, but those wounds can heal. In a hundred years, nobody will care or know about what you were, your success or lack thereof. Unless you happen to start a genocide, then you'll get to the annals of history. But the vast majority of us are doomed to be forgotten.

Hell, I could be doing worse. I mean, I don't have any proper education, but I'm working towards it, I have no debts, and I didn't touch my first drop of booze or cigarettes, let alone any of the funky stuffs. I'm currently working under the resolve that I'll **** well keep on trying until I'm fifty. If at that time I haven't achieved anything in my life, I might just as well discontinue my subsciption. But not before. I might be failing at life on a continuous basis, making a **** fool of myself and being mocked by my neighbours...but I try and recall just to dust myself off and limp on forward. Even if it is hard at times to do so, and it takes time for me to decide to finally get up from the ground and do something before carrion feeders start to gather.

It's all about the mental state, of seeing the silver lining on the turd. Sure, I might've bombed the whole first date ever, but hey, I HAD a date. With a girl, no less. Not some fiftyish, balding pervert that prowls the internet dating services. I felt fantastic before the date, nervous as hell during it, and frankly, awful and angry for a long while after it, blaming myself for not being good enough...but even 'tho it was a catastrophe, I tell myself that there was a person out there who thought at least momentarily that I was worth the effort of getting to know. Maybe there's more? Of course, chances could be same as your regular crooked lottery tickets, but even an infinitesimal chance is more than zero.

Latest posts

Back