Does time exist?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha, *gives Jilted John well deserved cake :D*

Omg you've reminded me of the whole "does 0 exist" argument lol
I think it only exists to show that for example that 100 is one hundred of something and so on.

nyqil said:
well, considering how all living things age, i'd say it does exist.

Some living things can change the function of their cells to return to their stage as what would be children if they were human so by that logic they can rewind time?

INTERPOL said:

I think it only exists to show that for example that 100 is one hundred of something and so on.

The romans didn't have 0 (or negetive and decimal numbers) if I remember and zero is basically the absence of quantity, therefore 0 is nothing so it must not exist. So who wants some ice cream with their cake.

condemnedsoul666 said:
nyqil said:
well, considering how all living things age, i'd say it does exist.

Some living things can change the function of their cells to return to their stage as what would be children if they were human so by that logic they can rewind time?

INTERPOL said:

The romans didn't have 0 (or negetive and decimal numbers) if I remember and zero is basically the absence of quantity, therefore 0 is nothing so it must not exist. So who wants some ice cream with their cake.

Good point about changing the function of cells, thats a really good argument :)

I knew that thr romans used roman numerals but I didn't know there wasn't a 0 :S lol So who invented 0 in the first place? Question for Google :p
No ice cream for me thanks, any custard? yum

The greeks also didn't understand zero as a concept but I don't know all their details so i don't know if they had one. From what i found zero was first used in India or China, i think it says china in the first century and india a few hundred years after that so we'll go with china although the first recorded use of a number zero is apparently the hellinistic zero. how would you like the custard? i prefer it cold, definitely NO lumps either way.

condemnedsoul666 said:
Time as a concept, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Some people may believe in the concept of time others may not, probably because they do not have 'solid' evidence to prove it. I believe time does not truly exist and is a concept created by people to create more stability in their lives. Let me ask you this; does zero exist?

Yes zero exists. There was a time the universe did not exist at all, and as the universe collapses in on itself there will be a time the universe will not exist again. You would call the smallest unit of time before the big bang absolute zero.

Again time DOES exist because the universe started, and will end. The journey from its birth to its demise is time. This is also why we measure objects in space in light years. When you look at a star the light has taken x many millions of years to reach you, what you are seeing has already been and gone. In fact with the more distant stars they may mot even exist now by the time the light reaches us.

Kinda bugs me that we start our years from the birth of Christ :/ Christ aint that important to a lot of people on this planet.

Arnie said:
AD is used in recording time. we are curious about it.

Oh.

I watch too many physics documentaries. All I ever hear about are "billions of years ago this, seven thousand light years that". I don’t take much notice of recent human history. We are only brief custodians of this tiny rock. Until I hear they found proof life is common throughout the universe I consider humanity to be an accident. It’s all without meaning. I am jealous of people who have religion. At least they believe there is some reason to this life.

Very interesting Arnie,you have answered my question about,when people started thinking about having "common" time,as opposed to different time,depending on your religion.

cumulus.james said:
Arnie said:

Oh.

I watch too many physics documentaries. All I ever hear about are "billions of years ago this, seven thousand light years that".

yeah just hoping you know light years are a measure of distance, not time and is the distance, and is the distance light travels in a year through a vacuum if im not mistaken.

condemnedsoul666 said:
cumulus.james said:
Arnie said:

Oh.

I watch too many physics documentaries. All I ever hear about are "billions of years ago this, seven thousand light years that".

yeah just hoping you know light years are a measure of distance, not time and is the distance, and is the distance light travels in a year through a vacuum if im not mistaken.

I’m sure it is a measure of time also. They say “planet x is x number of light yeas and it would take x amount of time to travel that many light years. Perhaps it is indirect. Physicists seem to view distance in space and time along the same lines.

light years are a combination of a year and the speed of light and from the distance in light years you can find the time it takes for whatever it is you need it for and yes some sciences have time and distance in space on the same lines but this can only be theoretical as time doesn't exist and there is nothing in space (hence the name) so technically that doesn't exist either.

condemnedsoul666 said:
light years are a combination of a year and the speed of light and from the distance in light years you can find the time it takes for whatever it is you need it for and yes some sciences have time and distance in space on the same lines but this can only be theoretical as time doesn't exist and there is nothing in space (hence the name) so technically that doesn't exist either.

Of coarse there is something in space - dark matter? Time obviously does exist as we experience it ever day. Science does not currently think it exists on its own hence the term "space-time". They believe Space and time are one and the same. At the very least space is filled with the various forms of radiation.

But I’m not a physicist. I can only go by what Michio Kaku says in his documentaries. Oh and that thing with Morgan Freeman has been rather good.

If I had all the time in the world I could prove its existence, but currently I have no time.

Latest posts

Back