Does your family know you have low self-esteem?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooosic

Reaction score
Does your family know you have low self-esteem? (I just repeated myself lol)

For me, my family has no clue I have such low self-esteem! They know I'm not the most confident person, but they don't know I think of myself in negative ways (which I'm in the process of fixing right now)!!

I'm not a low self-esteem person, but I think it's kind of easy to tell when somebody you're close to has that problem. I suppose it depends on how observant you are, though.

You know, some people have their own definition of self esteem. So I guess it all depends on what you believe self esteem to mean to you. I did a little research on it because I'm not sure myself. If someone asked me I'd probably say I have low self esteem, and no my family doesn't know it. But after researching it a bit I realize I do have self esteem, it's not high but it's not low either. I'm pretty confident in my abilities, I value what I do in life even if its not all that important to the grand scheme of things. I'm more middle ground.

Mooosic said:

For me, my family has no clue I have such low self-esteem! They know I'm not the most confident person, but they don't know I think of myself in negative ways (which I'm in the process of fixing right now)!!

For me, nobody has a clue. Someone once told me how much they envied me for being so confident !!

Do you mind me asking how you're going about fixing it ?

Firefly said:
Mooosic said:

For me, nobody has a clue. Someone once told me how much they envied me for being so confident !!

Sure... I'm using some techniques people on here gave me. If you look at the post "I need help" in this section, you will see some of them! Thats where people has helped me.
What I'm doing is I'm blocking all negative thoughts out of my head, writing down positive things about myself every day, and trying not to think so much of what others think!

My family thought I was lonely for some period of time, now they think I just like to be alone.

Mooosic said:
Firefly said:
Mooosic said:

Sure... I'm using some techniques people on here gave me. If you look at the post "I need help" in this section, you will see some of them! Thats where people has helped me.
What I'm doing is I'm blocking all negative thoughts out of my head, writing down positive things about myself every day, and trying not to think so much of what others think!
Thanks. I'd forgotten about that thread, I posted in there too !!
Sadly, I have not yet acted on any of the advice - I know I'm going to have to put in some serious effort if anything's going to change. It's great that you are taking such positive action. :)

My brothers and sisters don't know and wouldn't care. My children know though. They see it in me all the time, my daughter especially. They talk to me about my insecurities, so they can watch for the same insecurities in themselves and ward them off or work through them.

No, I act pretty confident infront of them, and other relatives.

Lawrens said:
No, I act pretty confident infront of them, and other relatives.

Im not sure. I dont really talk about my insecurities with my family. I kind of keep them at arms length when it comes to emotional stuff. My brother is the complete opposite of me and is good-looking, confident, has lots of friends and gets girls easy. He is nice to me, but telling him of my problems wouldnt be very helpful since he has never had to experience what I am going through.

I would find it much too embarrassing to talk about my low self-esteem to my parents. Although my mom probably suspects my low self-esteem, despite me trying to put up a front of being happy/confident when I am visiting.

My family doesn't know either. Like you Mooosic, mine definitely know I'm not the most confident person. But they don't know about the thoughts that run through my head at least a hundred times a day, about dying alone and feeling like I'll never be good enough for anyone.

I think only 2 people I know have any idea. Neither are in my family.

Mooosic said:

My father does not care
My mother says this: "Tu precisas é de 2 murros na cara, para acordares para a vida." *I dare you to translate this to english, its portuguese

My family never cared, although they knew, and generally blamed me or attacked me for it. In the end, it was through the forutne of finding good people online who helped me a great deal to get out of my situation.

Latest posts

Back