Dog Help for Loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mooky2009 said:
Hi,

I was just wondering how many of you own a dog and how it helps with your loneliness and/or depression?

It doesn't make you forget that you are lonely and depressed, but it sure can cheer ya up. Nice to have something around to love that loves ya back, even when you don't feel like being around any other people. And it is good for getting you out of the house when you otherwise wouldn't.

I have a dog, and I couldn't agree more that they help with the loneliness and isolation, certainly more then a caged pet would.

I paid $200 for my border terrier from a rescue shelter, but prior to that I went through quite a few lists of dogs. One thing I saw from time to time was a dog offered for $0, especially if it is listed as homeless. You should be cautious though, as you probably don't want a dog that had a really messed up past that screwed up his behavior towards humans.

A dog won't help your level of self esteem (at least I don't think so!), but it sure beats the loneliness sometimes and gives you something to do when you're bored--go walking with your dog or play with him/her! :D Or groom, give a bath, etc...

Dogs can help you with all those things. When a dog is ALWAYS happy to see you, and ALWAYS wants to be around you - it's obviously gonna help with your self esteem, which in effect helps with the depression, which will then help with the loneliness. When you take your dog for walks regularly, you'll come across other owners and if your dog socializes with their dogs, chances are you'll end up socializing with the owners too. A dog isn't a cure to your problems, but they sure do help - trust me!

Yes, I have a doggie and I love her soooooooooooooooo much. The fact that she's always happy to see me when I'm gone it's a big plus. I've always been around dogs, they are the best.

Attachments

• josie's camera 140.jpg
    josie's camera 140.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 177

Latest posts

Back