dogs of annoyance

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaSarah33

Reaction score
In an effort to help improve health and help lose weight I've gained a new hobbie in the recent months. I walk alot...... anywhere I feel like it. I go on trails, I go to the park, I go in the woods and set my alarm in my pocket to go off after an hour just to make sure that I walked and was active for an hour of my day. I'm thinking of bumping the time longer because I find it to be such an enjoyable activity and its getting warmer out, it makes me want to stay out on my walking adventures longer.

I've found one annoyance though... dogs off leash. The one park I go to most is mostly for local schools athletics meetings but it does have a trail around the perimeter of the park to walk on. This park in not monitored at all so no one obeys the rules. It is not a dog park like some that are set aside for off leash time, dogs are welcomed there... but the signs say leashes please. It seems that most people who bring dogs to this park don't feel the need to use a leash. They act suprised or appauled when I don't want to stop and pet/hug/make out with thier dog. lol because omg its thier precious baby how could anyone not love the dog omg omg well I don't, I don't want to have anything to do with it.

I don't want to stop, I don't want to touch it, I don't want it to jump all over me especially when its muddy, I don't want it to lick me, I don't want to hug it or act like I wish it was mine or act like I want to take it home or make out with it. LOL I hate stopping to have some creature sniff my ass and leave mud on my clothes, I just don't want to participate, I can't even get away from it as If I step off trail... since there is no leash it just comes to where I am to get me all dirty. Most of these people just do this dumb laugh like "uh huh huh huh' because they think its so cute that thier baby is socializing.. and they don't know what else to say, they don't call it or even suspect that I might not want its attention.

The last time I went to this park, I tried to avoid every dog I saw by cutting across the field early when I saw them in the distance. I managed to avoid a few off leash dog encounters.. but then when I got into the woods here comes two people with three dogs... but oh yay its the kind of dogs I like.. the ones on a string yay LOL so they can't get at me.. well this dumb lady.. lets go of the leash and yells to me "Buddy wants to say hi!" ....I don't know this lady, or the guy shes with and they don't know me and I don't want to say hi to buddy. Why is every dog named buddy? lol

I went waaaay off trail to avoid "Buddy" and yelled to the lady 'excuse me, I'm allergic to dogs' even though I'm not really LOL I live with two of them and like em.. I don't force other people to like them. Then the lady acted all pissy like.. "ugg geeez," like I'm so rude that I don't want mud on me geeez. I'm so hateful of her precious baby geeez... I liked her precious baby better when it was on the leash. I've taken my dogs to the park a few times of course on leash never letting them out of my sight, but I stopped taking them for two reasons. I don't like walking around with colored baggies of honeysuckle in my hand... and because theres too many other people with off leash dogs that if one of my dogs bit thier dog they'd probably try to sue me and win somehow because life works like that.

This one time when I did have both dogs with me, I had them on a tight leash and someone had some little aggressive dog off leash and its yappping and sort of aiming to ankle bite at my dogs that are on leash and the dumb lady just stands there and giggles... she doesn't even try to call it or come pick it up... I'm just standing there like hello.. when are you gonna get ur thing... and she just keeps giggling like omg my baby is so precious,... lol idiot. so then this guy sees me standing there.. hes holding an actual baby like infant sized wrapped in a bundle and this lady wont get her dog so he tries to help out and get it for her but by bending over upsets the infant cause of all the noise and crap... and the lady still... just standing there like an idiot.. the guy had to pick up her dog in one hand while holding his infant child in another hand to hand to this lady that he didnt even know because she wasnt about to do anything.

Its just so annoying how extra polite people are 'supposed to' act around other peoples dogs... because never in a million years is a dogs attention 'unwanted' in these peoples minds... they could never see it the other way around. lol I'm just ranting, this isn't really of any significant importance to me, I just felt like complaining about it haha. made me feel better :)

"Buddy wants to say hi!"
1.gif

Apparently she doesn't realize that everything isn't about what Buddy wants.

It seems to be the aggressive dogs that i usually have encounters with.

Yell at the owners. Their behavior is irresponsible, and they need to train their dogs. There is no excuse for an ill-mannered dog other than a lazy owner.

Walk somewhere else.

Personally I avoid people, places and things that I don't like. It's seems pretty pointless to me to expect the world to conform to my every desire and then whine about it when it doesn't.

I agree with you whole heartedly. PEople need to respect the fact that I just do not like dogs. Yet they cannot respect that fact. This is a problem I run into all the time when I go skiing. People bring their dogs along, and just let the dogs fun loose in the parking lot. Then I get dirty looks when I am trying to find a place to park and a dog is in my way. Or when I am trying to ski to my car and a dog starts chasing me. It annoys the piss out of me. Mainly because there is a sign that says "All dogs must be on a leash"

Same thing happens in my apartment complex. There is this lady who never has her dog on a leash. Despite the fact that the dog growls at everyone who walks by. Whenever someone is near by she has to grab the dog and hold it down so I can walk by without fear of being attacked.

I know exactly where you are coming from friend.

Only Illusion said:
Walk somewhere else.

Personally I avoid people, places and things that I don't like. It's seems pretty pointless to me to expect the world to conform to my every desire and then whine about it when it doesn't.

Well, the park obviously has a leash ordinance in place. People should always follow the rules and be respectful of others at least.

lol I hear where your coming from. It's not always fun for most people to have dogs all over them. I love dogs though, and dirt. If anything I should probably be the one on a leash when I see a dog. People usually have to make up excuses to get away because I like their dog too much.

I have dogs too as well, and love them. One is a labradoodle named Oscar the other is a brand new dalmation puppy I just named Astro lol.

However, it's not always good being so friendly with dogs. I've got scars all over my hands and forearms from bites. You'd think by now I'd have developed a fear for them. But nope, I'll still put my face right up next to any set of dog teeth haha :D

EveWasFramed said:
Only Illusion said:
Walk somewhere else.

Well, the park obviously has a leash ordinance in place. People should always follow the rules and be respectful of others at least.

And in a perfect world (which this isn't) that's exactly what people would do. Life's unfair, isn't it?

I'll only ever take my dogs off their leash if I'm in a fenced dog-park. Somewhere you're meant and encouraged to remove the leashes. Unfortunately places like this aren't always available. Maybe it is the duty of the government to make them more available as to avoid situations such as this.

EveWasFramed said:
Only Illusion said:
Walk somewhere else.

Obviously you should call the cops.

AFrozenSoul said:
Obviously you should call the cops.

Depending on the place, park managment might be a better first call. The cops are more then likely not going to care about loose dogs in the park...unless they actually have cops that patrol the park, then you might want to find those.

I feel troubled right now so I'm going to express a little more on the subject of dogs lol. I know.. its a weird subject to dislike, but I don't actually dislike dogs, I love having my two around, they cheer me up and make me laugh sometimes with thier antics.

I think it has alot to do with my screwed up perception as a child :( Sorry for being so depressing but I feel need to express this somehow. When I was growing up, I had this messed up feeling that my own self worth is lesser than that of the dogs. I remember many times of my grandmother picking me up from school and forcing me to have poodles in my lap.. if thats what the poodles wanted... it didn't matter if I wanted or not... if I didn't like it then I was told to shut up or get out and walk. I remember her taking me to McDonalds alot of times and the dogs got to eat before I did. I was made to sit and unwrap cheeseburgers for dogs and hold it in my hand as they ate because apparently they wont eat it off the floor... I wasn't aloud to eat my food until the poodles had thier fill.. and then my hands were nasty from having dog tongue on it. :(

If the poodles sniffed at my happymeal box I was forced to give up my own food and eat what she had at the house like spaghetti os or something. My grandmother also thought it was great that the poodles like coffee creamer so I was also forced to sit and open tiny fast food coffee creamers and hold it so the dogs could lap it up, of course getting it on me. :( I remember sitting in her van with a stinky dog on my lap that I didn't want there and I just waited with such anticipation to get to the destination so I could get it off of my lap, but being a child I once stood up so fast with excitement of it ending that I litterally dumped the poodle in the floor and I got hit with a giant old lady handbag for it and screamed at for possibly hurting the 'baby'. Alot of times she'd cook steaks or get a bucket of kentucky fried chicken just for the dogs, I wasn't aloud to have any of it because its for the babies... maybe another reason I struggled with weight as a child :(

My grandmother once said during a random family gathering.. "Where is my son?" and her actual son (my uncle) walked in and asked her what she wanted.. and she said, "not you.. my baby" of course everyone chuckles like oh thats so cute but hearing it makes me feel messed up inside.

My parents aren't any better with this.. It seems the dogs are of extreme high value and utmost importance in this household too. When I've been bitten by one of the dogs, I slapped them and put them in thier place.. but then I get yelled out for hurting and scaring the precious dogs. My dad once (this wasn't long ago) brought home chick fil a sandwiches and he had an extra one. I had already eaten, but I asked him if he wasn't going to eat it, could I have it for later? He asked why I was asking, and I mentioned that sometimes the dogs get the leftovers that I want, so please don't feed it to the dogs... they have dog food. So in mocking me.. he pulls out the sandwich and asked me if I wanted it, I said yes, he then pulled it out of the wrapper and ripped it in half giving it to the dogs in front of my face.

I was so infuriated beyond words that I knew that anything I would say would be disasterous and I'm not really aloud to speak about anything thats not happy in this house or I get put down.. so I walked away and he got pissed and yelled at me for walking away and proceeded to pound on my door yelling at me through the door for being so disrespectful and walking away in anger... but he has no respect for me either. How can I respect someone who shows me none.. whos never taught me any.. I think it was more respectful to hold back my angry words than to stand there and converse with him what my thoughts of him were. I'm not upset about a stupid sandwich.. I'm upset about the pets being above the children, being favored.

For my 21st birthday, a family friend gave me a puppy. If I was asked if I wanted a puppy, I would have said no because of the situation in which I'm living, if I lived on my own, yea I'll take a puppy. So, in having this new puppy, I wanted to crate train her so that I could have peace of mind when I'm at work.. and so that she'd learn at an early age so that when I did move it was alot easier to keep her in an apartment. My mom would undermine everything I did. I'd put her in the crate and have her be quiet, my mom would do things like tease her with toys or jump around playfully to make her whine and then complain to me that shes whining and wants out. My mom would let her out behind my back after I'd put her in the crate and she would poop and pee all over the house.. even on the couch... then my mom would make me clean it up because its my dog. I would complain thats why I want her IN the crate because its easier to clean a crate..

I started punishing the puppy when she'd go to the bathroom in the house by rubbing her nose in it and speaking sternly to her, I took her outside frequently and when I couldn't it would be crate time... but it never worked out as I would get yelled at sternly in my face for hurting an innocent puppy by yelling at it... omg its too messed up. I just gave up. I said you can have her shes yours now since I can't raise her how I'd want a dog... f*** this.

so.. the house got destroyed. The carpets ruined. Had to replace the couch. Thier solution.. lets not let her in the house anymore. ok? We could have had a nice trained dog... that could be trusted in a house... but since she grew up and became less cute, shes now forced to be an outdoor animal. I just want to move out. I don't want to be a part of this at all. I hate socializing with my family when I live with them, it feels like they treat me like the lowest piece of honeysuckle ever. When I don't live with them, they give me this happy jovial kind of company, living with them is horrible. They tell me all the time in hinting around jokes that I'm worthless because I failed college and work a low wage part time job... and compare me to my sister whos got a nice job, a husband, a house, and a kid.

I don't remember ever getting hugs as a child. :( I don't remember being told I was loved except in greeting cards where they sign it. I spent too many days left totally alone. I remember the dogs getting hugs and affection and told they were loved... I felt jealous... it just feels sad for a child grade school aged to feel jealous of dogs. I didn't know how to express myself because I always got put down so I would never express anything in front of anyone. :( this is all really depressing. I don't actually hate dogs, I hate when people love dogs more than thier children or spouse. My grandmother divorced her husband because he accidently ran over one of her poodles. He tried to hide the body because he was so afraid and he paniced and threw it in the woods but she found it because of the blood trail and then threw all of his possesions out in the rain... evil people, I don't ever ever ever ever want to make anyone feel THAT low... that they are worth less than an animal. I never want to make anyone involved with me question thier self worth. I hate all of this.

sorry end rant :( i feel like honeysuckle

Now that you've discovered the real reason for the way you react, perhaps you should can try looking at the situation differently. You like dogs, right? So just give them a pat when they come up to you. Make the walks in the park a time when you forget about your family and all of that stuff, and enjoy yourself.

It sounds as if you've been having a tough go with things. I don't like to be at home with the parents anymore either, though for different reasons. From what you wrote it sounds like they really do treat you poorly, and have for what seems like forever. It also sounds like something you've always avoided talking about with them. Perchance your family has always treated dogs as if they were family members, maybe they were raised that way. However I don't find that all that likely.

Sometimes families do get very cruel towards the sibling who isn't up to the standard of the other sibling. This may be their way of communicating frustration at that. Again though it's no excuse to treat you the way that they have, and you have a right to be upset about it.

I could feel your frustration in that post. Everytime you mentioned a moment where you and a dog were compared I would cringe. Also, don't accept being compared to your sister. You two are completely unique individuals and will pursue your own goals at your own rate. Have confidence in yourself *hug* :p

Also, for the futures sake I would recommend trying to talk with some of them about all this at least once. It doesn't have to be immediately but consider it, otherwise you risk alienating yourself from your family for a long time.

@RebeccaSarah33:Wow that is messed up. I would have disowned my family once I got the chance, if I was in your shoes.

I also think it is kind of funny how your family discouraged punishing dogs. That is why so many dogs basically attack other people because their owners do not teach them right from wrong. Makes me sick really.

Ranting is a good thing when you feel bad. I hope you feel a little better now.

thanks for all the replies (hugs to all) :) I appreciate the listening ears

I guess I feel intimidated at the park when someone lets thier off leash dog jump all over me because it feels like I don't have a choice.. its going to jump all over me whether I want it to or not.. but if it was on a leash I could have the choice to pass it up or interact with it. Like when I was a child, I had no choice, I was forced to let a dog sit on me/lick me.

I have tried to communicate with my family before about issues, it falls on deaf ears. They live in a fantasy world full of work as they work 3 full time jobs between the two of them and besides work.. thier fantasy is forever happiness as if nothing could ever go wrong. When I've attempted to have family discussions... I can't even get them to turn the tv off. :( I've asked and expressed.. this is important and I get.. 'But "whatever tv show" is on... ' and i get 'I worked all day and I just want to watch my show'... it doesn't matter apparently if its important or not because... a tv show is more important.. I'm not allowed to talk until the commercials. :( It takes the whole seriousness out of it that I'm not even worth full attention. So I give up and retreat to my solitary confinement life in my bedroom. :( :( I've always felt so unimportant to them, but no one else sees this as they portray the picture of happiness owning every fun toy imaginable and taking more family vacations in one year than most families could afford to in five years.

The last family discussion I had was because I moved back in and have been having an extra hard time with my dad putting me down rubbing it in my face that I became homeless and had to come back because I can't afford life. I expressed how it made me feel so down.. and that I'd like to be talked to like an adult. It ended with my dad raising his voice telling me and mom both that this is his household and hes the man of the house and can speak however he wants to. I had no comment as I don't want to get kicked out and be homeless again. :(

I do just want to get out and be free and at the very least have my own place to live even if its alone because then I have freedom to choose what I want. I could never afford to in this area.. I'd have to work two jobs just to afford a studio apartment in a ghetto town and eat ramen noodles everyday.

I love my parents, I appreciate the fact that I live in this free country and have a family at all, I struggle with self worth issues if I spend too much time with my parents. I was kinda shocked when I grew older and spent more time with friends to see thier families interact.. they hugged each other just upon greeting.. like I'm home... :( they hugged me too... its something I had to get used to. I mean a real hug too.. an embrace and being squished not the fake lean in hug... I love the feeling of being embraced.. its like bliss.. like I'm worth thier time and they actually want to hug me... its warm, it feels... loved. :(

the only semi regular hug I get now is occasionally one of my friends at work hugs me, its so nice too, its a real hug. If I ever get fortunate enough to share my life with someone, I want to hug them everyday and have them know they are loved. If I ever get to have kids, I want to snuggle with them and hug them and have them know they are loved. :( I'm sorry I just feel really sucky sometimes, I'm ok though.

thanks for the kind replies :)

Latest posts

Back